2020 Jets

Jack Williams

2023 $upporter
Someone talk me off the ledge.

I have gone all in on Sam Darnold being the answer and I am just starting to worry it is not the case. Granted, the poor guy has an awful head coach who will probably not make it through the season, terrible wide receivers, an over paid running back who can barely stay on the field, and a completely new set of faces on the OLine. Oh and the two stars they actually had on the other side of the ball are gone.

But he continues to make mistakes you just cant make in year 3 now. I know this is a week one overreaction maybe but someone talk me off the ledge with the jets because I am hating what I am seeing

[quote="Jack Williams" post=398118]Someone talk me off the ledge.

I have gone all in on Sam Darnold being the answer and I am just starting to worry it is not the case. Granted, the poor guy has an awful head coach who will probably not make it through the season, terrible wide receivers, an over paid running back who can barely stay on the field, and a completely new set of faces on the OLine. Oh and the two stars they actually had on the other side of the ball are gone.

But he continues to make mistakes you just cant make in year 3 now. I know this is a week one overreaction maybe but someone talk me off the ledge with the jets because I am hating what I am seeing[/quote] Jack it’s one game you have a lot of season left [attachment=1609]E5A40357-4C64-422D-A15D-59BEA095E72C.jpeg[/attachment]

Only teams like the Jets hire guys like Adam Gase. This is not a surprise...when Gase was hired he had a reputation for players hating him and he looks insane with his eyes bulging. Any idiot could see this guy would fail right away. This team needs to back off its defense first philosophy. The Jets think this is 1970 where you get a good defense and run the ball most times ground and pound and win a ring. The NFL has totally changed and it's all about offensive firepower now. Top shelf QB's, WR's like Hopkins, OBJ, etc. speed, skill, big play home run type players. Guys who can turn a screen pass into a 40 yd TD. TE's are also important to utilize. We have neither of those. We get rid of our only decent WR in Anderson, get a washed up Bell and old man Gore. As if that weren't bad enough, we use our 1st rounder on our line instead of a true offensive weapon like Jeudy. Darnold has no weapons that can make plays consistently or scare opponents. We need fresh, youthful energy and speed on offense skill positions. When's the last time we had a real offense...Pennington with Cole, Moss, Martin, etc in like 2002? Our jerseys are also an abomination. The team from top to bottom is clueless and we will continue to see evidence.

Last edited:
[quote="Jack Williams" post=398118]Someone talk me off the ledge.

But he continues to make mistakes you just cant make in year 3 now. I know this is a week one overreaction maybe but someone talk me off the ledge with the jets because I am hating what I am seeing[/quote]

I'd dump Gase. Darnold may not be the answer but I don't think he's had a fair shot.

He was awful in Miami. He's been awful here. Something is just wrong with him. I can't put my finger on it but his players never support him. Is it a lack of leadership? trust? Is he just an asshole who doesn't win enough to justify being an asshole?

I remember seeing a comment from Ernie Accorsi when Miami was considering hiring Gase years ago that sold me on him then. Ernie said he's done thousands of interviews of NFL personnel for all level of coaching/scouting jobs during his time in the NFL. He said two guys stood out head and shoulders above everyone else as the smartest, most prepared guys: Bill Belechick and Adam Gase.

I suppose a .500 batting average in the NFL isn't too bad...

Can us Giants fans get our own thread to commiserate in and leave the green side to themselves? ;)

[quote="Mike Zaun" post=398123]Only teams like the Jets hire guys like Adam Gase. This is not a surprise...when Gase was hired he had a reputation for players hating him and he looks insane with his eyes bulging. Any idiot could see this guy would fail right away. This team needs to back off its defense first philosophy. The Jets think this is 1970 where you get a good defense and run the ball most times ground and pound and win a ring. The NFL has totally changed and it's all about offensive firepower now. Top shelf QB's, WR's like Hopkins, OBJ, etc. speed, skill, big play home run type players. Guys who can turn a screen pass into a 40 yd TD. TE's are also important to utilize. We have neither of those. We get rid of our only decent WR in Anderson, get a washed up Bell and old man Gore. As if that weren't bad enough, we use our 1st rounder on our line instead of a true offensive weapon like Jeudy. Darnold has no weapons that can make plays consistently or scare opponents. We need fresh, youthful energy and speed on offense skill positions. When's the last time we had a real offense...Pennington with Cole, Moss, Martin, etc in like 2002? Our jerseys are also an abomination. The team from top to bottom is clueless and we will continue to see evidence.[/quote]

i dont hate the Becton pick because I think he can be a stud on the left side of the line for years to come. But man, seeing some of Jeudy's foot work last night was astounding. He is a game changer for sure.

[quote="SJUFAN2" post=398127][quote="Jack Williams" post=398118]Someone talk me off the ledge.

But he continues to make mistakes you just cant make in year 3 now. I know this is a week one overreaction maybe but someone talk me off the ledge with the jets because I am hating what I am seeing[/quote]

I'd dump Gase. Darnold may not be the answer but I don't think he's had a fair shot.

He was awful in Miami. He's been awful here. Something is just wrong with him. I can't put my finger on it but his players never support him. Is it a lack of leadership? trust? Is he just an asshole who doesn't win enough to justify being an asshole?

I remember seeing a comment from Ernie Accorsi when Miami was considering hiring Gase years ago that sold me on him then. Ernie said he's done thousands of interviews of NFL personnel for all level of coaching/scouting jobs during his time in the NFL. He said two guys stood out head and shoulders above everyone else as the smartest, most prepared guys: Bill Belechick and Adam Gase.

I suppose a .500 batting average in the NFL isn't too bad...[/quote]

the problem with Gase is he makes it pretty damn clear he is a glorified QB coach. He only cares to be on good terms with Darnold and everyone else in the locker room can go to hell. But he has also neutered Darnold. Sam was best when he get out of the pocket and extended plays. There are actually numerous clips of him doing it his rookie year. Gase has basically removed that from his game and forces Darnold to throw screens to wide outs the whole game.

So, when you are a glorified QB coach, and the young QB has regressed since you got here, what are we doing? Why are you still here? Apparently you can actually place bets on first coach to be fired in the NFL. Doug Marrone was the front runner but his Jags shocked the Colts this weekend. Gase has to be front runner now.

I just don't understand why just once we can't actually give a new QB with promise some legitimate pro bowl level weapons on offense. We keep setting our QB's up to fail. All our eggs go in the defensive basket, then we sign has-been, out of their prime players like LT, Decker, Gore, Bell to "power" our offense. We never draft WR's in 1st...only 2nd or later and they never make it. Last time we did I believe was Moss in about 03 who was damn good and scared other teams. We spend 99% of our 1st rounders on defense and most of them end up being cut, traded, or become FA's within a few yrs. We let Jamal Adams, the best safety in the NFL, walk out when we could've locked him up. I think the whining was annoying with his contract, but if it's me I would've paid the kid. He said, "we need to get some dawgs in here" implying top notch players to match his hunger and talent. We never got any and he said F this after Jets refused to pay him. After the Mets hopefully go to Cohen and free ourselves of terrible owners, we need Woody Johnson and James Dolan gone next. NYC pro teams have THE worst ownership in their respective sports it seems except Yanks/Giants.

Cut the ties now and fire Kotite ( I mean Gase ) the only reason to keep him is if you want to lock in a great draft spot for next year

[quote="mjmaherjr" post=398532]Cut the ties now and fire Kotite ( I mean Gase ) the only reason to keep him is if you want to lock in a great draft spot for next year[/quote]
Can Steve Cohen please buy the Jets too. I liked the Darnold pick but I'm less sure of it now. Maybe tank season with Crazy Eyes and draft Lawrence or Fields and trade Darnold for draft picks.

Stopped watching Jets about 3 yrs ago and glad I did. Just couldn't take it anymore. 3rd and long 2 yd plays, no offensive weapons any opponent is scared of or even nervous about, another bad QB, another terrible coach. Rinse, repeat.

Does Douglas have the authority to fire Gase, or does it have to come from the top?

Both Gase and Douglas report directly to Christopher Johnson. This is a mess of 1995 proportions.

[quote="SJUNC" post=398556]Both Gase and Douglas report directly to Christopher Johnson. This is a mess of 1995 proportions.[/quote]

Isn't that the same way things were when they hired Gase? How did they not learn from that debacle?

[quote="SJUFAN2" post=398572][quote="SJUNC" post=398556]Both Gase and Douglas report directly to Christopher Johnson. This is a mess of 1995 proportions.[/quote]

Isn't that the same way things were when they hired Gase? How did they not learn from that debacle?[/quote]
Simple, they're the Jets.

[quote="SJUFAN2" post=398572][quote="SJUNC" post=398556]Both Gase and Douglas report directly to Christopher Johnson. This is a mess of 1995 proportions.[/quote]Isn't that the same way things were when they hired Gase? How did they not learn from that debacle?[/quote]Because they are the:
Just
End
The
Season
[attachment=1613]jets.jpg[/attachment]

Last edited:
The Jets have made 2 quality head coaching hires in the last 20 years. One was essentially Bobby Valentine, and the other won 6 Super Bowls, proof they aren’t always completely incompetent.

[quote="Spocky Ramone" post=398581]The Jets have made 2 quality head coaching hires in the last 20 years. One was essentially Bobby Valentine, and the other won 6 Super Bowls, proof they aren’t always completely incompetent.[/quote]
But the one that won 6 SBs they couldn't even keep for one day because of their incompetence.

Back