Zuby “Beast II”

Bursting the bubble here a bit, I guess I am a doubting Thomas and overall no one here is acknowledging shortcomings.

Believe me, I hope Beast's take and others are right-on and that he develops into something really good or even great.

Bursting the bubble here a bit, I guess I am a doubting Thomas and overall no one here is acknowledging shortcomings.

Believe me, I hope Beast's take and others are right-on and that he develops into something really good or even great.
I would be happy w “adequate” and go from there.

If he didn’t have any shortcomings, he’d still be on Kansas.

Sure there’s things to work on, but IMO he’s already the best defensive big we’ve had here in years. And with his ability to track down offensive rebounds and get us extra possessions, he makes himself valuable on both ends of the floor.

He’s a little clunky when trying to score around the rim, but he’s already got a solid free throw shot, which is essential for him with how physical he plays.

There’s a lot to love. I’m absolutely ecstatic that he’s gonna be starting next year. He’s so fun to root for

The other thing to love about Zuby is he gets to the line a lot. He is tied for second on the team in free throw attempts with Ledlum who plays 28.9 mpg to Zuby's 10.6 mpg. And he shoots them at 69% which I am confident will get up to low 70s next year. I'm sure staff will work with him on finishing better around the rim but great to know this guy has 2 more years left and will only get better.

The other thing to love about Zuby is he gets to the line a lot. He is tied for second on the team in free throw attempts with Ledlum who plays 28.9 mpg to Zuby's 10.6 mpg. And he shoots them at 69% which I am confident will get up to low 70s next year. I'm sure staff will work with him on finishing better around the rim but great to know this guy has 2 more years left and will only get better.
Could point and upping my assessment to good bench guy now, with potential to be solid starter if he sticks around. Pitino noted his work ethic and hard play, so potentially nice piece.

His per 40 minutes has him averaging 7.9 FTA, which is #1 on the team. Soriano is 7.4 FTA. Zuby is already at 68% FT. Soriano is only at 71% FT. His per 40 minutes also has 4.6 blocks per game.

He won’t replace Soriano’s offense but he could very well have a greater net impact due to his defense and athleticism.

I expect next year’s team to play like it’s a track meet compared to this limited group.
He is much more foul prone that Soriano. Unless something changes, can’t see him playing more than 20 minutes a game next year.

Zuby is a decent backup center. But we need to majorly upgrade over him next year. There is no way he can be starting for us next year.
I think the Zuby we see in September will be a vast improvement over what he is now (his trajectory during this season alone is impressive). Joel had same habit of missing chippies last year and cleaned it up during off season. If Zuby were making his chippies right now, I think prevailing opinion of him would be much better. He does most other things pretty well - blocks shots, rebounds (very good offensive), hedges the pick and roll attempts very well.

Dont disagree that he needs to improve significantly in a few areas - chippies and avoiding fouls.

He is much more foul prone that Soriano. Unless something changes, can’t see him playing more than 20 minutes a game next year.
Joel was also a prolific fouler until his (first) senior year. He averaged 5.5 fouls per 40 minutes as a junior. Zuby averages 6.6 per 40 as a soph. That obviously needs to come down a lot. Ousmane from Xavier (6.5 fouls per 40) is the only comp I can think of.

If he didn’t have any shortcomings, he’d still be on Kansas.

Sure there’s things to work on, but IMO he’s already the best defensive big we’ve had here in years. And with his ability to track down offensive rebounds and get us extra possessions, he makes himself valuable on both ends of the floor.

He’s a little clunky when trying to score around the rim, but he’s already got a solid free throw shot, which is essential for him with how physical he plays.

There’s a lot to love. I’m absolutely ecstatic that he’s gonna be starting next year. He’s so fun to root for
If Zuby didn’t have loads of upside , he wouldn’t have been at Kansas to begin with .

And , Self always has his pick of Transfers , etc that would have limited Zuby’s development there .

Dickinson was going to play Major minutes and Zuby would only get mop up duty .

I think RP and staff know what they can get from him in the next 2 years . Even now , he gets PT in heat of the game .

I think the Zuby we see in September will be a vast improvement over what he is now (his trajectory during this season alone is impressive). Joel had same habit of missing chippies last year and cleaned it up during off season. If Zuby were making his chippies right now, I think prevailing opinion of him would be much better. He does most other things pretty well - blocks shots, rebounds (very good offensive), hedges the pick and roll attempts very well.

Dont disagree that he needs to improve significantly in a few areas - chippies and avoiding fouls.
Big men usually get a lot better as they progress. The kid is a true soph...he will be fine and could really blow up under Pitino. Also, don't discount how much it will benefit him playing in an open court game next year. He's going to be the top run-jump center in the conference. I don't think Pitino will ever be caught with a half-court team again.

Wilcher-Luis-Dunlap-Glover-Taylor-Zuby were born to run. Add a really good smaller guard or two that can push and shoot and we'll be in business.

Back