Zags: Branch Wants Gathers at St. John's

With all his limitations and the lack of a budget Lou rarely if ever was caught short at a particular position. He was very astute at planning his rosters and it created his consistency IMO.

Meh. Failing to bring in a second scorer or big time PG on the Malik Sealy teams killed any chance of a national championship run. 

1990 was arguably the deepest collection of top high school talent that NYC has ever produced:
Mashburn UK,
Phelps UNC
Reeves Zona
Autry Syr
Faulkner Az State

Meanwhile we got Lee Green, Shawnelle Scott and Sergio Luyk.

Lee Green was a top 50 type defender ala Pointer and Scott made the NBA. Luyk was well, Luyk but I'd sure like him on this year's bench.with our 3 pt percentage.

And none of them helped put that Sealy team over the top.

Shawnelle had a very good career and Sergio was good coming off the bench in '93.

But Lee Green had the worst fundamentals of any STJ player. He had the worst offhand dribble and finish (his right hand) I have ever seen in a STJ guard. He had the worst shooting form I have ever seen. And god help the team when he was forced to run the point.

With all his limitations and the lack of a budget Lou rarely if ever was caught short at a particular position. He was very astute at planning his rosters and it created his consistency IMO.

This program was on life support and Lavin needed to swing for the fences with his first full recruiting class to generate excitement. Didn't work out the way we hoped, but I'd rather have a guy swing for the fences every time. How often did Lou even attempt that?

On the surface, career averages of 21.9 wins and 8.3 losses look good, but they aren't winning you a national championship.

I think most of us would have killed to have numbers like that over the last decade. What was Nova's record when they won it all? I know we crushed them three times........Anyway you never saw complete vacancies and 9 kids graduating together under Lou. He always seemed to have someone in his back pocket. Not the greatest coach but an excellent planner. He also had a talent for avenging losses. He was head and shoulders over Norm Roberts.

I loved Lou, but you seem to forget that the '86 team had 5 starters plus Hempel and Baldi. The lack of depth killed them in round 2 of the Tournament versus Auburn when playing out West in the high altitude.

Luyk was well, Luyk but I'd sure like him on this year's bench.with our 3 pt percentage.

Big Serge had more fun in college than 20 ordinary guys combined. That's all I'll say. :lol:

FWIW Lou's record is much like Jay Wrights at Nova the past 10 years, with Jay having a little more tourney success (4 times to S16 in 7 aooearances vs. Louie's 5 in 18). Yes we'd all be happy to have had that instead of Roberts (and Jarvis, and Mahoney for that matter). Jay hasn't won a national championship either. If you were all Nova fans would you be killing him for his lack of titles as well (not for this season but for the first 10)?

This program was on life support and Lavin needed to swing for the fences with his first full recruiting class to generate excitement. Didn't work out the way we hoped, but I'd rather have a guy swing for the fences every time. How often did Lou even attempt that?

On the surface, career averages of 21.9 wins and 8.3 losses look good, but they aren't winning you a national championship.

I think most of us would have killed to have numbers like that over the last decade. What was Nova's record when they won it all? I know we crushed them three times........Anyway you never saw complete vacancies and 9 kids graduating together under Lou. He always seemed to have someone in his back pocket. Not the greatest coach but an excellent planner. He also had a talent for avenging losses. He was head and shoulders over Norm Roberts.

I loved Lou, but you seem to forget that the '86 team had 5 starters plus Hempel and Baldi. The lack of depth killed them in round 2 of the Tournament versus Auburn when playing out West in the high altitude.

Lack of depth didn't particularly kill that team against Auburn. It might've played a role, but a very, small one in my book. What killed that team was Chuck Person, Chris Morris and the likes. Not to mention, we never adjusted to Auburn's Box-and-one defense on Berry.

We also didn't play in any high altitude. The game was played in Long Beach.

Terry Bross was also a part of that rotation. As for the Auburn game, I seem to remember Berry getting hurt (prior to the game?; his ankle?) and not giving a typical Berryesque performance. As a result, Bross saw sizable minutes in that game. Unfortunately, they were largely unproductive or even counterproductive.

FWIW Lou's record is much like Jay Wrights at Nova the past 10 years, with Jay having a little more tourney success (4 times to S16 in 7 aooearances vs. Louie's 5 in 18). Yes we'd all be happy to have had that instead of Roberts (and Jarvis, and Mahoney for that matter). Jay hasn't won a national championship either. If you were all Nova fans would you be killing him for his lack of titles as well (not for this season but for the first 10)?

No, I wouldn't.
But many Nova fans are.

Meh. Failing to bring in a second scorer or big time PG on the Malik Sealy teams killed any chance of a national championship run. 

1990 was arguably the deepest collection of top high school talent that NYC has ever produced:
Mashburn UK,
Phelps UNC
Reeves Zona
Autry Syr
Faulkner Az State

Meanwhile we got Lee Green, Shawnelle Scott and Sergio Luyk.

Lee Green was a top 50 type defender ala Pointer and Scott made the NBA. Luyk was well, Luyk but I'd sure like him on this year's bench.with our 3 pt percentage.

And none of them helped put that Sealy team over the top.

Shawnelle had a very good career and Sergio was good coming off the bench in '93.

a few reactions
I met Shawnelle in the 1990s when I was working in Hartford and he was playing on a local minor league team - seemed like a very nice guy;
I haven't followed all the posts since my remark about Louie and his strictly local coaching - but Lavin goes well beyond Louie and seems capable of recruiting not only top local kids but nationwide as well (I'm not saying anything new here I realize).

Imagine what Coach Lavin would surround Malik Sealy with?

My son was a ball boy for a few years (early 2000s) and Malik's son worked with him - got to chat with Malik's wife and what a great family and what a terrible loss of one of SJU's best NBA players. I expected and continue to expect a lot of losses this year but I also continue to enjoy watching these young kids.

I hope Garrett steps up his game.

all the best

Terry Bross was also a part of that rotation. As for the Auburn game, I seem to remember Berry getting hurt (prior to the game?; his ankle?) and not giving a typical Berryesque performance. As a result, Bross saw sizable minutes in that game. Unfortunately, they were largely unproductive or even counterproductive.[/quote] 

did I hear correctly with the announcers in Marquette game referring Harkless to a modern day Walter the Truth?

all the best

Branch wants Gathers has turned to this? :dry:

LMAO!!!!!!
I am sure there was a correlation with the topic about 8 threads ago. Perhaps it was that both Terry Bross and Ricardo Gathers are tall. Then again, I expected Terry Bross to be brought up in the discussion involving Amir Garrett as they both were baseball pitchers.....but I digress! Back to the topic......what was it. 

LMAO!!!!!!
I am sure there was a correlation with the topic about 8 threads ago. Perhaps it was that both Terry Bross and Ricardo Gathers are tall. Then again, I expected Terry Bross to be brought up in the discussion involving Amir Garrett as they both were baseball pitchers.....but I digress! Back to the topic......what was it. 

Why Marco Baldi was ruled ineligible for the Auburn game? (Hint: Had to do with his Italian team paying for a plane ride.) :blink: 

LMAO!!!!!!

Why Marco Baldi was ruled ineligible for the Auburn game? (Hint: Had to do with his Italian team paying for a plane ride.) :blink: 

Why are you quoting me? I never mentioned Marco Baldi!

You're travelling to another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound... but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land, whose boundaries are only that of the imagination... you're entering... the Twilight Zone...

LMAO!!!!!!

Why are you quoting me? I never mentioned Marco Baldi!

You're travelling to another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound... but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land, whose boundaries are only that of the imagination... you're entering... the Twilight Zone...

If you were a Redmen fan for 50+ years, you too might be living in the Twilight Zone. (By the way, is the Garden still on 49th Street?)  

Walter Berry was college player of the Year in 86. Comparing Harkless to him , at this point in time, is unfair to both players.. Moe is still developing, THE TRUTH was already a legend. And, their styles are different.. Walter was a left handed magician in the low post, unorthodox to defend too.. Moe has a more classic game, still a work in progress..

as for the 86 Auburn-SJU game, I thought Berry was in foul trouble, not injured but, could be wrong. Officiating of that game was atrocious in favor of Auburn too.. And, Louie never could figure out the BOX and 1, in any game.. He failed
dismally in the 85 final 4 game against G'TOWN,when Wingate played man on MULLIN.. he never adjusted the offense to go to BERRY in that game, when Ewing got in foul trouble.. Also too, Mark JACKSON should have been in there instead of Mike MOSES but, Louie was loyal to a fault to senior PG's.. Mahoney was his Assistant at the time too, so Brian didn't influence any change in game strategy either.

All this, of course, does not diminish Lou as a HOF Coach but, when you have 1 shot at a NCAA chamionship against a BE opponent you've already played 3 times, you would think some adjustment would have been made..

it's a fantasy of mine too, of the FINAL 4 DRAW IN 85.. if Nova had played the Hoyas in the semi final instead of Memphis ST, would a SJU-NOVA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME provided the same result?

Rememberring that the Johnnies trumped the Wildcats 3 times in 85 in the BE season.

My recollection is that Berry had injured his ankle in the first game of the tournament limiting his ability against Auburn. 

My recollection is that Berry had injured his ankle in the first game of the tournament limiting his ability against Auburn. 

Seems I remembered correctly (not always the case these days). The LA Times, in fact, ran a "Berry to Test Sore Ankle" headline. And when asked prior to the game about the Truth's ankle, Looie said (to paraphrase), "Of course, he'll play. He's got all summer to rest it."

Back