Zags: Branch Wants Gathers at St. John's

now that is something you want to hear a player say...talk about winning a national championship and then talk to gathers and wood to join him here to help get it done...

I get goosebumps thinking about the day Gatherers verbals.  I hope that Branch is our Harkless/Pied Piper of 2012. Would love to see Obepka, Gathers, Sampson and Wood be the rest of the class. That will give us a good balance in the front and back courts and I believe leave Lavin with 2 or 3 spots to work with for 2013. 

I get goosebumps thinking about the day Gatherers verbals.  I hope that Branch is our Harkless/Pied Piper of 2012. Would love to see Obepka, Gathers, Sampson and Wood be the rest of the class. That will give us a good balance in the front and back courts and I believe leave Lavin with 2 or 3 spots to work with for 2013. 

Don't forget that Branch is from Kansas City Mo, same place Ishmail Wainright is from. Can't hurt either. There are a lot of connections there and no doubt our staff is not blind to that. Only a few degrees of separation.

Love hearing stuff like this. Gotta imagine that Lavin is really good with these kids and their parents. Lavin is sure not taking any time off, even if he is not coaching games.

Don't forget that Branch is from Kansas City Mo, same place Ishmail Wainright is from. Can't hurt either. There are a lot of connections there and no doubt our staff is not blind to that. Only a few degrees of separation.

I want Wainright more than any other recruit. Physical Point-forward type that would be the perfect complement to the high-flyers we already have on the wing, and could take over if Mo leaves after his junior year.

Of course this is a different era than Louie C. etc. but it is wonderful how we are now national recruiters rather than merely nyc or northeast…especially with so many top programs "raiding" this region.

all the best

again may be a blessing in disguise for Lavin to regain his health and put time into recruiting that other head coaches cannot = perspective :)  

I want Wainright more than any other recruit. Physical Point-forward type that would be the perfect complement to the high-flyers we already have on the wing, and could take over if Mo leaves after his junior year.

I dont know if I would say i want him the most. Would love to have him though. I think Sampson/Gathers are more important. Unless your just talking about 2013 marillac and then I would probably agree with you. Kid is a stud and is already physically ready to compete

Tim Dimas, play by play announcer with WSJU radio, tweeted 2 days ago: "Gathers' brother told me he still thinks Gathers will end up at St. John's because Duke and Kentucky won't offer the PT like at St J".  

Sounds very encouraging!!!

Just another great facet of the Lavin era - that we are involved with the same players as top programs - as opposed to begging a top 150 kid to sign here etc. 

We are relevant, competitive and going in the right direction.

all the best

Gathers' own tweet on Jan 10 re: Alabama - LSU football game: "LSU fans are sore losers and all they know how to do is point the finger. I guess Jarrett Lee was the answer for tonight huh?".

This can't endear him to the local fans.  

Gathers' own tweet on Jan 10 re: Alabama - LSU football game: "LSU fans are sore losers and all they know how to do is point the finger. I guess Jarrett Lee was the answer for tonight huh?".

This can't endear him to the local fans.  

Saw the same thing. Can only help St. John's.

I dont know if I would say i want him the most. Would love to have him though. I think Sampson/Gathers are more important. Unless your just talking about 2013 marillac and then I would probably agree with you. Kid is a stud and is already physically ready to compete

Yeah, I was referring to 2013. I can't decide who is more important between Gathers and Sampson. Gathers gives us something we don't have, but Sampson completes Lavin's vision for the team he tried to out together. Sampson and Harkless bouncing around together would be something.

Of course this is a different era than Louie C. etc. but it is wonderful how we are now national recruiters rather than merely nyc or northeast…especially with so many top programs "raiding" this region.

all the best

again may be a blessing in disguise for Lavin to regain his health and put time into recruiting that other head coaches cannot = perspective :)  

With all his limitations and the lack of a budget Lou rarely if ever was caught short at a particular position. He was very astute at planning his rosters and it created his consistency IMO.

With all his limitations and the lack of a budget Lou rarely if ever was caught short at a particular position. He was very astute at planning his rosters and it created his consistency IMO.

This program was on life support and Lavin needed to swing for the fences with his first full recruiting class to generate excitement. Didn't work out the way we hoped, but I'd rather have a guy swing for the fences every time. How often did Lou even attempt that?

On the surface, career averages of 21.9 wins and 8.3 losses look good, but they aren't winning you a national championship.

Meh. Failing to bring in a second scorer or big time PG on the Malik Sealy teams killed any chance of a national championship run. 

1990 was arguably the deepest collection of top high school talent that NYC has ever produced:
Mashburn UK,
Phelps UNC
Reeves Zona
Autry Syr
Faulkner Az State

Meanwhile we got Lee Green, Shawnelle Scott and Sergio Luyk.

all the best

Looie's budget may have been small compared to Big time programs, however it dwarfed all other NY area programs by a very large margin.

Meh. Failing to bring in a second scorer or big time PG on the Malik Sealy teams killed any chance of a national championship run. 

1990 was arguably the deepest collection of top high school talent that NYC has ever produced:
Mashburn UK,
Phelps UNC
Reeves Zona
Autry Syr
Faulkner Az State

Meanwhile we got Lee Green, Shawnelle Scott and Sergio Luyk.

Lee Green was a top 50 type defender ala Pointer and Scott made the NBA. Luyk was well, Luyk but I'd sure like him on this year's bench.with our 3 pt percentage.

This program was on life support and Lavin needed to swing for the fences with his first full recruiting class to generate excitement. Didn't work out the way we hoped, but I'd rather have a guy swing for the fences every time. How often did Lou even attempt that?

On the surface, career averages of 21.9 wins and 8.3 losses look good, but they aren't winning you a national championship.

I think most of us would have killed to have numbers like that over the last decade. What was Nova's record when they won it all? I know we crushed them three times........Anyway you never saw complete vacancies and 9 kids graduating together under Lou. He always seemed to have someone in his back pocket. Not the greatest coach but an excellent planner. He also had a talent for avenging losses. He was head and shoulders over Norm Roberts.

Back