You're Blocked

Joedib

2023 $upporter
I’d think of him like Sir’Dominic Pointer. He really impacts the game beyond the stat sheet — he helped “shut down” (as much as one could” Knecht this past weekend.

I do agree that fit next to Cliff is curious offensively but having a defensive death lineup like that is equally great.
Like Pointer? Had no impact until senior year and even then it was limited. I loved the guy. But limited.

Pointer had a rather solid senior season. A second-team All Big East player, Co-Defensive Player of the Year in the Big East, Most Improved Player in the Big East, and the Haggarty Award winner.

That isn't "limited" in my book.
Pointer had an outstanding senior year. He benefitted greatly from the lack of numbers forcing the coaching staff to play him. He was a talented player without a real position.

I've been watching St. Johns basketball for 40 years, and, outside of Obekpa, Pointer is the second best shot blocker I've witnessed in a Johnnies uniform.

He changed games blocking shots, especially during his senior season, at 6'6".
Sir Dom was a tremendous defender (could defend any position), excellent rebounder, very good passer - and until his senior year just refused to shoot the damn ball. He certainly had the ability to do it, he just didn't for whatever reason. Very frustrating for a few years but it was great to see him shine in his senior year.

Now to Demo's point - yes let's get back on topic although this thread is currently more speculation than anything else. Seems like Cliff is trending in the right direction which would be huge. I don't know what the story is with Hopkins but - even bearing in mind that Ledlum is the definition of An LMF Guy - if you can get Hopkins then you get Hopkins.

Pointer had an outstanding senior year. He benefitted greatly from the lack of numbers forcing the coaching staff to play him. He was a talented player without a real position.
Pointer always played. What changed his senior year is they played him at center out of necessity and that forced him off the perimeter — where he lived exclusively for three years when he was a guard.

It forced him to play to his strengths and he was a matchup nightmare.

Pointer had a rather solid senior season. A second-team All Big East player, Co-Defensive Player of the Year in the Big East, Most Improved Player in the Big East, and the Haggarty Award winner.

That isn't "limited" in my book.
The success of Pointer's senior season had a lot to do with Lavin harnessing his superior athletic ability. Rather than start Branch at the point, just as Lavin started Hardy there despite his lack of a great handle, Lavin went with Pointer to push the ball up court quickly, often off his own rebound. This transition offense provided a lot of open shots for Harrison and Greene and others. Essentially we had a 6 man rotation with 5 guards and Obekpa. Lavin's downfall here was that he was a lazy recruiter. He could sell high level talent like no tomorrow, but didn't do the heavy lifting to balance a roster by class, position, and depth.

I've been watching St. Johns basketball for 40 years, and, outside of Obekpa, Pointer is the second best shot blocker I've witnessed in a Johnnies uniform.

He changed games blocking shots, especially during his senior season, at 6'6".
I thought Owens was better than Obekpa as Obekpa had many more goaltending calls.

I thought Owens was better than Obekpa as Obekpa had many more goaltending calls.
Owens was good, ht Obekpa was one of the more elite shot blockers. I’d take Owen’s overall though has he had offense and much more varied skills set.

When you look at the SJU statistics for the two the blocks per 40 minutes were the following. Owens averaged 4.2 per 40 for SJU, Obekpa 5.5. Higher for sure, yes, and I didn't dispute that - I would expect his raw block numbers to be higher. In fact, I knew they would be and didn't say they wouldn't be. I brought up goaltending.

The difference to me was one guy tried to block everything and didn't use his head which led to too many goaltending calls and the other guy did not. Every goaltend is two points for the other team and a real negative. But if goaltending is listed as a statistic in player profiles, I can't find it, so I won't fight the crowd on this, having no data to support what I have said. Sure felt to me like Owens was way more efficient at it, but memories can be faulty, which means I can't now be sure I'm correct.
Owens was clearly the better basketball player, but CO was clearly the better shot blocker.

Back