Welcome Back Ed Kull!

Ed Kull on his coming back to St John's " It's a dream come true. Aside from working with the Administration and Staff's of all the programs I'd like to announce that I've already finalized a deal to bring a larger product size of IPA's to Carnesseca Arena and we will now be serving Lobster Roll's at home games on campus "
MJM dropping tabs big time! ;)

Any word on what happened to Diffley's candidacy?
Pretty sure, as Paultz mentioned, Kull was the target all along. Other finalists were Lenny Kaplan (NJIT AD, his wife Nancy has worked at SJU for upwards of 30 years and is still in the provost’s office), Ed McLaughlin (VCU AD) and Janna Blais (senior women’s administrator at Northwestern).

Would imagine Diffley got a courtesy interview as an in-house candidate, but nothing more. I like John, so hopefully he sticks around.

The challenge that exists here not at Fordham is that a good chunk.of funds "donated" go towards NIL here.

Good luck to him.

Fundraising was a top requirement for anyone hired.

Pretty certain though, if a more qualified candidate materialized, would have gotten consideration. Decision makers knew from the getgo that would be very unlikely.

Congrats to Ed Kull I’m just curious if Tom Jurich Rick’s old AD at Louisville was in consideration or interviewed?

I will say that this seems like an obvious hire. Aside from that though, the fact that he’s endorsed highly by Repole is obviously of major importance. I don’t want to see us push off the biggest booster our program has ever seen and the truth is that Shanley, Repole, a Pitino, Kull seem to be the guys that all know what we need to do for sustained success.

I think a hire likes this helps us get ready for the next phase, and even to prep for success after Pitino retires. Repole is the straw that stirs the drink and the fact he is vocal about Kull being a great hire is good for us.

The challenge that exists here not at Fordham is that a good chunk.of funds "donated" go towards NIL here.

Good luck to him.

Pretty certain though, if a more qualified candidate materialized, would have gotten consideration. Decision makers knew from the getgo that would be very unlikely.
Unless a decision were to be made by some criteria other than overall merit, when would a more qualified candidate for any position materialize and not be considered?

Good luck to him.

There are two distinct markets for college athletic directors and the so-called more qualified candidates are all at football schools with multiple D1 Olympic sports that are nationally ranked in sports like football, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics etc. Those are much bigger jobs with much larger responsibilities.
St. John's was never searching for that type of candidate.
We got the ideal candidate for our level of D1 athletics.

Sounds like a great hire and looks like we hit the trifecta with AD, coach, and Pres! Important to keep Repole happy as others have said. Another note on Repole: for those who don’t know, he is friendly with Dave Portnoy of Barstool Sports fame & he is in more & more video clips with him all over social media. Barstool has a huge following with ~35 & under demographic or so. IMO this bodes well for us from exposure standpoint especially with younger fans. Gets SJ in the discussion & more brand awareness.

Back