Villanova to Aquire Cabrini University

Villanova’s purchase of Cabrini College has been rumored on the Nova Nation message board for the past month.

Don’t be surprised is Nova someday acquires Rosemont College which is actually a bit closer to it than nearby Cabrini.

Villanova is the result of strong institutional leadership.

Villanova’s purchase of Cabrini College has been rumored on the Nova Nation message board for the past month.

Don’t be surprised is Nova someday acquires Rosemont College which is actually a bit closer to it than nearby Cabrini.

Villanova is the result of strong institutional leadership.
...and understanding the importance of a strong basketball program. We finally have a President who gets that.

Catholic universities are technically under the dominion of the bishop or archbishop where the school is located, as are Catholic hospitals. Acquiring Cabrini may not involve any transfer of funds for real estate or equipment. Nova may assume their debt.

Father Peter has been a great leader for Villanova, more of a people person than the late Father Dobbin who he succeeded. I knew them both and both played a role in transforming the university. Jay Wright was hired during Father Dobbin's tenure. Two great leaders.

Great move by Nova. Capacity is about 8000 students and they could easily admit 15000 without lowering academic standards. This gives them the bandwidth to admit more qualified students while rescuing a failing school. It evens out the balance sheet also.

good for nova. unfortunately for us we are down sizing. st john's sold its staten island campus.
The Staten Island campus was losing a lot of money and it was a prudent business call to sell it. I think enrollment was way down at that campus. We also have campuses in Rome and Paris and Manhattan.

I can see a day where universities with great academics and reputation go national, opening satellite campuses around the country that leverage their name and success.

Last edited:
Where is the location of the nearest St. Richard University that is economically unstable?

I see a buying opportunity for SJU.

The Staten Island campus was losing a lot of money and it was a prudent business call to sell it. I think enrollment was way down at that campus. We also have campuses in Rome and Paris and Manhattan.

I can see a day where universities with great academics and reputation go national, opening satellite campuses around the country that leverage their name and success.
It's happening. Doesn't Cornell already have a satellite campus on Roosevelt Island?

Not to throw water on this acquisition, but Cabrini and Rosemont with much lower academic credentials merging with Nova makes no sense to me. Nova 25% acceptance rate and SATs starting around 1,300, Cabrini 62% acceptance rate and starting SATs 910 and Rosemont even worse (69%/900), means transfers in will be well below Nova standards. In fact, these same students probably applied to Nova and were turned down. Go figure?

Not to throw water on this acquisition, but Cabrini and Rosemont with much lower academic credentials merging with Nova makes no sense to me. Nova 25% acceptance rate and SATs starting around 1,300, Cabrini 62% acceptance rate and starting SATs 910 and Rosemont even worse (69%/900), means transfers in will be well below Nova standards. In fact, these same students probably applied to Nova and were turned down. Go figure?
Probably meaningless as to stats as only the incoming Freshman stats get reported and likely a one year blip for next years class.

Probably meaningless as to stats as only the incoming Freshman stats get reported and likely a one year blip for next years class.
perhaps more of the Cabrini students will transfer to more academically suited schools nearby and schools that aren't as expensive as Villanova. I see where many nearby schools are offering Cabrini transfers guaranteed admission if they are in good standing. It suggests the state of higher education is perilous for many schools, example St. Francis College, ending sports but the first step to perhaps closing their doors entirely. In another thread the Forbes article scares me as many schools are not going to survive.

It was a basketball move

…… Cabrini and Rosemont with much lower academic credentials merging with Nova makes no sense to me.

The Villanova transaction with Cabrini is pretty simple.

Cabrini has financial issues.

Cabrini’s campus is 112 acres of largely undeveloped land located 1.9 miles from the Villanova campus.

The opportunity for Villanova to acquire such a large parcel so close to its campus may never occur again.

So yeah, this transaction is a simple real estate transaction on favorable terms for Villanova.

The Villanova transaction with Cabrini is pretty simple.

Cabrini has financial issues.

Cabrini’s campus is 112 acres of largely undeveloped land located 1.9 miles from the Villanova campus.

The opportunity for Villanova to acquire such a large parcel so close to its campus may never occur again.

So yeah, this transaction is a simple real estate transaction on favorable terms for Villanova.
Ever since Beast [sans the last letter “s”] of the East stopped posting, Otis has taken it upon himself to move forward with the “Villanova Beautification Project” here on our beloved SJU fan site.

But make no mistake. We also get a wonderful perspective of how to improve SJU. For example, the name change to “Redstormers” is catchy to Otis’ army of one.

It's funny you say that. Just last night Rick spoke about SJU alums sending their kids elsewhere and wanting the school to improve in so many ways that academically better performing kids want to come here. I would add not just for health sciences and business school but for everything. We don't have to become a Georgetown, BC or Nova to get a bigger share of top kids. But we have to improve and each of those schools do some things better.

Interesting note. Villanova was founded by the Augustinian order to educate children of Catholic immigrants. The land was purchased from the widow of a farmer. At the time in Pennsylvania women were not permitted to own land.

Once again, good times ahead in all ways for St. Johns, and Rick gets the big picture of the university.

Rick single-handedly making St. John's into an upper tier academic institution, doubt that. HOWEVER, as has been noted numerous times elsewhere on here, large-scale sports success increases the applicant pool, increases visibility and raises the school's academics. Fr. Shaley understands this and his hiring of RP was a step in that direction. We don't have to becomes a Villanova, but a better St. John's. [I bet in the formative years of both schools, they were on par scholastically. I know that at one time St. John's received many students of Jewish backgrounds undergrad and Law especially, because, believe it or not, "finer" colleges in NYC had unspoken-of "quotas", St. John's was highly regarded.]

Rick single-handedly making St. John's into an upper tier academic institution, doubt that. HOWEVER, as has been noted numerous times elsewhere on here, large-scale sports success increases the applicant pool, increases visibility and raises the school's academics. Fr. Shaley understands this and his hiring of RP was a step in that direction. We don't have to becomes a Villanova, but a better St. John's. [I bet in the formative years of both schools, they were on par scholastically. I know that at one time St. John's received many students of Jewish backgrounds undergrad and Law especially, because, believe it or not, "finer" colleges in NYC had unspoken-of "quotas", St. John's was highly regarded.]
There was a time in nyc when most pharmacists were either italian or jewish and st. John's produced many of them. So not just lawyers.

Billy Crystal's dad was an sju law alum and pitched for our baseball team. Billy himself was a very good baseball player and had a baseball scholarship to Marshall University in West Virginia.

Several of our largest NIL contributors are Jewish. Some have gone to sju others just lifelong fans. The late Jerome Belson was a trustee and extremely generous donor, also Jewish.

St John's grads now and then were often the first in their generation to graduate college, very often children or grandchildren of immigrants.

Back