THE END IS NEAR!

Bluto's speech from "Animal House"

Hey! What's all this laying around stuff? Why are you all still laying around here for?
Stork: What the hell are we supposed to do, ya moron? We're all expelled. There's nothing to fight for anymore.
D-Day: [to Bluto] Let it go. War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard of something to say]
Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

[Bluto runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: [stands up] Yeah, I agree. Let's go get 'em.
Boon: Let's do it.
Bluto: [shouting] "Let's do it"!

I suppose Maven did have some connections, but the whole atmosphere around him was like being back in 8th grade. If you were one of the"cool kids," he'd speak to you. Everyone else was beneath him to the point where he wouldn't respond to you unless you pissed him off.

Not sure what he's like in real life, but he was highly immature online.

i'm not one of the "cool kids", but i can tell you in real life, maven and hit the gym are good people.

Don't know them but that is the problem with the Internet; people don't have to be themselves. Many know Maven only through his screen persona and there he was anything but good people.

Early on posters appeared on this site with obvious anti-semitic and racist agendas. Maven ran them off so fast they did not know what hit them. I also know for a fact that Maven has tried to help facilitate placement of local athletes from high schools that dropped their sports. His imperfections are obvious but the picture of Maven as pure villain does not wash.

Perception is reality, very few, if any, are "pure" anything. Joe Paterno did more good for more people than you could count but what is he going to be remembered for? As I said in another post, most know Maven only through his screen persona and that did not convey a very nice guy.

I suppose Maven did have some connections, but the whole atmosphere around him was like being back in 8th grade. If you were one of the"cool kids," he'd speak to you. Everyone else was beneath him to the point where he wouldn't respond to you unless you pissed him off.

Not sure what he's like in real life, but he was highly immature online.

i'm not one of the "cool kids", but i can tell you in real life, maven and hit the gym are good people.

+1 - especially Hit

Back in the day when Big East Boards was going strong the only school that had massive posts was St. John's and that was because of the inability to register on Redmen.com as noted here. It used to be interesting to go over there and get a different viewpoint and sometimes see the animosity towards Redmen.com posters. Sadly Maven left here and posted
exclusively at BEB always jabbing at someone. If he's not banned maybe he'll come back. Time will tell. 

I sure hope not. Maven and his son sent me private messages, and even somehow found my AOL screen name harassing me and making fun of the fact that my father passed away while insulting my mother in the process. All because I disagreed with them about something (couldn't even tell you what it was about). I never visited that website after that and I've wished nothing but terrible things on the two of them since then. They can both rot in hell for all I care.

That is the type of personal animosity I am referring to. The Maven and a couple of others are fine in person but put them behind a computer and they tend to morph into Sonny Corleone or Sammy the Bull. LOL! Many people are the product of their environment and sad to say the Maven is one of them. Those that know him know he is a great great fan but for whatever reasons you cannot disagree with him on a computer without getting kneecapped. LOL!
I am not a pyschiatrist, I just play one on redmen, but there are reasons why the "glass is mostly empty" fans like Boo and Bobre never seem positive about their team. All I can say is medication and counseling usually help but a person's personality is forever.

Stop stereotyping me. (You have accomplished that on your own Borbre)

I get positive when positive things happen. Lately they have been few and far between. (Lately is around 10 years)

What I won't do is post speculative stuff like many others do. (Moe Harlkess is a middle first round draft pick)

I understand these things happen but it never seems to happen to the other guys. (excluding Villanova and Providence this year

Bobre, I respectfully disagree and have amended your comments for the record--- see above.

Last year was fun and I rooted just as hard as you. Funny how you ignore my positive posts. The Harkless info comes from quotes from an NBA employee and a draft expert he knows very well. You don't know whether it's wrong or right but it is factual from real live sources as opposed to all the posts of personal opinions on who we're going to sign. I didn't push the Moe stuff because if it goes down we're half way to oblivion despite all the faith in Lavin wherever he may be. FWIW I did see a well regarded mock draft which had Moe going 8th overall. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I wasn't aware Nova and PC were playing with five frosh starters and no bench but I'll take your word for it. Of course I'll look into it and take you to task if it's not true so that might be something to look forward to. Nice of you to "respectfully" disagree. I applaud your manners if not your facts.

Dear Bob,
Please link us up with the mock draft you see Moe as 8th pick. It would be greatly appreciated. Also, my point with Nova and the Friars was that they ARE NOT playing with 5 freshmen as SJ and their play, IMO, has been mediocre at best. If your point was to miss the point you did an excellent job as usual. BTW, 8th on the draft means Moe is a lottery pick and I would be most happy for him!! Please link it so that I can post it on his FB wall. He will be ecstatic!
Thanks.

He probably saw it, but it was a 2013 mock draft. :$ 

So you guys think he's not one of the top 64 this year and them becomes a lottery pick next year. Now that's funny.

[quote="Class of 72" post=20613
Dear Bob,
Please link us up with the mock draft you see Moe as 8th pick. It would be greatly appreciated. Also, my point with Nova and the Friars was that they ARE NOT playing with 5 freshmen as SJ and their play, IMO, has been mediocre at best. If your point was to miss the point you did an excellent job as usual. BTW, 8th on the draft means Moe is a lottery pick and I would be most happy for him!! Please link it so that I can post it on his FB wall. He will be ecstatic!
Thanks.

So you guys think he's not one of the top 64 this year and them becomes a lottery pick next year. Now that's funny.[/quote] 

I think most of us do believe he's a top 64 player this year and becomes a lottery pick next year. The funny thing is you didn't catch on. ;)

Back in the day when Big East Boards was going strong the only school that had massive posts was St. John's and that was because of the inability to register on Redmen.com as noted here. It used to be interesting to go over there and get a different viewpoint and sometimes see the animosity towards Redmen.com posters. Sadly Maven left here and posted
exclusively at BEB always jabbing at someone. If he's not banned maybe he'll come back. Time will tell. 

I sure hope not. Maven and his son sent me private messages, and even somehow found my AOL screen name harassing me and making fun of the fact that my father passed away while insulting my mother in the process. All because I disagreed with them about something (couldn't even tell you what it was about). I never visited that website after that and I've wished nothing but terrible things on the two of them since then. They can both rot in hell for all I care.

That is the type of personal animosity I am referring to. The Maven and a couple of others are fine in person but put them behind a computer and they tend to morph into Sonny Corleone or Sammy the Bull. LOL! Many people are the product of their environment and sad to say the Maven is one of them. Those that know him know he is a great great fan but for whatever reasons you cannot disagree with him on a computer without getting kneecapped. LOL!
I am not a pyschiatrist, I just play one on redmen, but there are reasons why the "glass is mostly empty" fans like Boo and Bobre never seem positive about their team. All I can say is medication and counseling usually help but a person's personality is forever.

Stop stereotyping me. (You have accomplished that on your own Borbre)

I get positive when positive things happen. Lately they have been few and far between. (Lately is around 10 years)

What I won't do is post speculative stuff like many others do. (Moe Harlkess is a middle first round draft pick)

I understand these things happen but it never seems to happen to the other guys. (excluding Villanova and Providence this year

Bobre, I respectfully disagree and have amended your comments for the record--- see above.

Last year was fun and I rooted just as hard as you. Funny how you ignore my positive posts. The Harkless info comes from quotes from an NBA employee and a draft expert he knows very well. You don't know whether it's wrong or right but it is factual from real live sources as opposed to all the posts of personal opinions on who we're going to sign. I didn't push the Moe stuff because if it goes down we're half way to oblivion despite all the faith in Lavin wherever he may be. FWIW I did see a well regarded mock draft which had Moe going 8th overall. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. I wasn't aware Nova and PC were playing with five frosh starters and no bench but I'll take your word for it. Of course I'll look into it and take you to task if it's not true so that might be something to look forward to. Nice of you to "respectfully" disagree. I applaud your manners if not your facts.

Dear Bob,
Thanks.

So you guys think he's not one of the top 64 this year and them becomes a lottery pick next year. Now that's funny.

We are still waiting for your link to the 2012 draft that projects Moe as the 8th pick. While you are at it, please ask him where Nurideen Lindsey is projected in the draft. Didn't you worry we would lose him to the NBA instead of Rider?

Dear Bob,
Thanks.

I think most of us do believe he's a top 64 player this year and becomes a lottery pick next year. The funny thing is you didn't catch on. ;)[/quote] 

I can't think of anyone who went from projected " somewhere in the top 64" to the lottery in one year. Your statement is ridiculous. I've been told by people in a position to know that at a minimum he goes mid to late first round this year if he opts to go. I'm sticking with that and hoping he stays put for a year. I doubt he really knows yet and the quote I heard was that much depends on the supporting cast Lavin brings in. If he keeps starting at the 4/5 I think we have problems.

Dear Bob,
Thanks.

I think most of us do believe he's a top 64 player this year and becomes a lottery pick next year. The funny thing is you didn't catch on. ;)

I can't think of anyone who went from projected " somewhere in the top 64" to the lottery in one year. Your statement is ridiculous. I've been told by people in a position to know that at a minimum he goes mid to late first round this year if he opts to go. I'm sticking with that and hoping he stays put for a year. I doubt he really knows yet and the quote I heard was that much depends on the supporting cast Lavin brings in. If he keeps starting at the 4/5 I think we have problems.[/quote] 

How is my statment ridiculous? You must have me confused with you. There is possibly a chance he could go late first round this year. It still places him amongst the top 64, right?

Regardless, he won't be a lottery pick this season, whereas he'll probably be one next season. I'm sure he's probably awaiting the next class. I feel there is some unfinished business with this bunch. Bring in a solid class and then I believe things will take off.

Everything I've read this year has him going late first to early second but lottery this year seems to be out of the question. One thing Bob might not remember is guys who were sure lottery picks last year like Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones (bad decision, exposed flaws) and Jared Sullinger plus more than a few mid first picks chose to stay in school because of the labor situation in the NBA. Since there were no assurances that there would be a season they chose to wait it out a year and that's pushed everyone down a bunch of slots and made for a very deep draft this year.

BEB was a good site but,deteriorated  over the last few years. Regretable.

I've been here on this site frequently and enjoy the forum very much.. I am looking forward to participating here and getting the input from the many super SJU FANS already enrolled on this site. There are many friends here as I've seen.

I'm glad too that the term REDMEN is so prominent as it's historical heritage is something we should not lose.

I had a feeling it would soon be shutting down. It had turned into ghost town in the past year or so. 

ghost-town-calico.jpg

So long beb.. ^5 

Everything I've read this year has him going late first to early second but lottery this year seems to be out of the question. One thing Bob might not remember is guys who were sure lottery picks last year like Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones, Terrence Jones (bad decision, exposed flaws) and Jared Sullinger plus more than a few mid first picks chose to stay in school because of the labor situation in the NBA. Since there were no assurances that there would be a season they chose to wait it out a year and that's pushed everyone down a bunch of slots and made for a very deep draft this year.

Bob remembers all that stuff but so do the guys I've quoted. I'm not making this up but there are no sure things with the draft or the players considering entering it. Like I've said Moe reputedly isn't thrilled about his lack of front line support and Lavin's recruiting results would likely influence his decision. Just have to wait and see. I think everyone knows he'll play in the league. It's just a matter of when. I also think that being forced to play big will eventually improve Moe's stock going forward.

I've never had a problem with anyone on any of the St. John's boards, or, really on any of the boards I happen to post on, but some of you take the Interwebbzz a little too seriously.

When I first posted on a board, filled with people I knew in real life actually, I didn't quite get the dynamics and took an innocent "joking around" post a little too seriously and told everyone to go eff themselves. Someone on the board PMed me and was like, "jeez man, just a joke, don't leave because of a stupid joke." That someone was the same person who hurled the "insult" at me, and then I looked back and realized how ridiculous it was I got pissy about it in the 1st place.

Since then, I've learned three things about message board behavior. 1) Don't take it too seriously. 2) A troll is to be ignored, not reeled in. They are only seeking attention. 3) The delete button can be your friend. You don't always have to hit "submit."

And honestly, I don't agree with 90 percent of the stuff Bobre posts, but he's definitely a fan pf the program, and not even a bad poster, at least in my eyes. I see much worse on other boards. He does stick to his guns, lol, and for that, at least, I give him credit.
I never joined BEB, but I lurked, big time, especially when I couldn't jump aboard here. It was very comical if you ask me. It's kind of sad they are closing down, but at this point, I don't even think to lurk there anymore. 

Back