The Airing of the Grievances

According to ESPN, Donovan Mitchell was rated the #43 high school player in the country, out of Brewster Academy, when Pitino recruited him. People make it sound like Pitino spotted him at the local YMCA playground.

Yes, Pitino is a great developer of talent, I am not disputing that! But these stories get a little blown out of proportion.

According to ESPN, Donovan Mitchell was rated the #43 high school player in the country, out of Brewster Academy, when Pitino recruited him. People make it sound like Pitino spotted him at the local YMCA playground.

Yes, Pitino is a great developer of talent, I am not disputing that! But these stories get a little blown out of proportion.

Okay, so now do that with the Duke guys...

They beat Houston only because of the Shead injury. They lost 2 out of 3 to NC State. This with three NBA players on the roster. Scheyer has done a great job recruiting high-level high school talent (it's good to be Duke!), not such an awesome job coaching it.

While the portal is not "unique" to them, it affects a limited number of schools of which they are one (Michigan, Notre Dame, Stanford are the other 3 that come to mind).

Duke will stay competitive with freshmen the same way Calipari kept Kentucky competitive, plus they have the advantage of being in a conference with only a few good teams and a lot of mediocre ones. But Scheyer's high school recruiting is unlikely to overcome his mediocre tactical skills and the difficulty he will have recruiting the portal (while also losing players to the portal). That combined with Duke expectation level is not an awesome combination for him.
I actually think Scheyer is going to prove to be a very good coach and that your post will not age well.

Scheyer is better than Kyle Neptune, OK you win that one.

But it's a good comp because he is not a Duke-level coach any more than Neptune is a Nova-level coach. Both guys who are in their jobs because they are part of the family and the legend wanted them to have the job. Both will be gone sooner rather than later - and I'm not even sure Neptune will be first.

The portal is a huge problem for Duke - they can't add players from it due to academic standards, they lose players to it (just look at the current carnage) and it's tough to win with freshmen playing against 23-year olds - just ask Calipari. And Scheyer is not a coaching genius who can overcome that.
Dude Neptune has been a coach for 3 years, 1 of which he took over a moribund Fordham program and gave them a 16-16/8-10 first season which was literally a minor miracle in one year (which set up his predecessor Keith Urgo turned into a 20 win/12-6 season the following year). Jay Wright has obviously set the expectations at Nova very high and that is fair. And I do think you can make the case Neptune especially last year should have done better. I actually think with all the injuries his first year he squeezed as much as he could out of that team. He has been a coach for 3 years and the last 2 he replaced a legend give him a break.

Scheyer replaced even a bigger legend and has recruited at the same if not higher level and just took Duke the Final 8 and he has been a coach for 2 years. And the academics has not hurt them as they have landed key transfers.

Seriously short of going to the Final Four what is Scheyer supposed to do to be considered a "good coach" in just 2 years? After replacing the modern day John Wooden?

Can these coaches be allowed a bigger window to access them?

I mean aren't you the guy who told us Mike Anderson is a good coach because of all those "winning seasons" and that Arkansas firing him was a mistake because their expectations are too high?

Oh and don't forget Patrick Ewing was a good hire by Georgetown right?

Dude Neptune has been a coach for 3 years, 1 of which he took over a moribund Fordham program and gave them a 16-16/8-10 first season which was literally a minor miracle in one year (which set up his predecessor Keith Urgo turned into a 20 win/12-6 season the following year). Jay Wright has obviously set the expectations at Nova very high and that is fair. And I do think you can make the case Neptune especially last year should have done better. I actually think with all the injuries his first year he squeezed as much as he could out of that team. He has been a coach for 3 years and the last 2 he replaced a legend give him a break.

Scheyer replaced even a bigger legend and has recruited at the same if not higher level and just took Duke the Final 8 and he has been a coach for 2 years. And the academics has not hurt them as they have landed key transfers.

Seriously short of going to the Final Four what is Scheyer supposed to do to be considered a "good coach" in just 2 years? After replacing the modern day John Wooden?

Can these coaches be allowed a bigger window to access them?

I mean aren't you the guy who told us Mike Anderson is a good coach because of all those "winning seasons" and that Arkansas firing him was a mistake because their expectations are too high?

Oh and don't forget Patrick Ewing was a good hire by Georgetown right?
I think some people just like to crap on these 2 good programs and anything and anyone associated with them, mostly out of jealousy. Common characteristic of fandom.

I see someone is still "Smarting" from another "great coach's" latest choke job. :ROFLMAO:
LOL right.

No doubt a guy who has gone 31-7 in BE play and reached back to back BE Title games is overrated vs a guy who got fired twice in 5 years for and another guy who got fired after having the worst 2 years in major college basketball history.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to compete with the knowledge base of that genius who told me those two coaches were good coaches.

LOL right.

No doubt a guy who has gone 31-7 in BE play and reached back to back BE Title games is overrated vs a guy who got fired twice in 5 years for and another guy who got fired after having the worst 2 years in major college basketball history.

Yeah I mean I wouldn't want to compete with the knowledge base of that genius who told me those two coaches were good coaches.
By LMF logic Shaka should go 18-15 every year and that way there are no expectations on Marquette.

Then he would love Shaka. He could be Mike Anderson II.

I see someone is still "Smarting" from another "great coach's" latest choke job. :ROFLMAO:

"I am completely satisfied that the program is in the best hands it has been in for over 20 years with A.D. Cragg and Coach Anderson… It seems to me that this staff has a clear idea of how they want to build the program and how each season fits into that plan [and] Anderson seems to have a clear vision of what sort of players he wants to add to the program, how to develop them, and what sacrifices he needs to make to [bring] in players with fewer stars next to their name and [turn] them into studs in Year 2 or 3."

tldr: Iron Mike is turning them into studs.

You people don't deserve me, which is why I don't post here anymore.

Back