Stith student assistant

Well Boo Hoo Boo! You may think we are "ripping" a "kid" when all we are doing is reporting the obvious but you Boo Hoo can
1------rip a coach for being MIA under mysterious circumstances----recovering from cancer surgery not plausible
2------blame the coaches for recruits poor prep grades
3------blame coach D for losing Lindsey and Stith

I am having a ripping good time reading your conspiracy theories...LMAO!

Malik wants to do what is best for his family-----get to the pro game----somewhere. He has been saying that since freshmen year to anyone who asked. FYI....from Malik's SJ player profile:

UP CLOSE WITH MALIK STITH
Few people know that: I'm better at football.
After St. John's or after my basketball career, I'd like to: Play in the NBA.
Favorite quote: "No struggle in progress."

Two final things Boo----if Mr. Stith "transfers" after this semester to "play" somewhere else, would you think it had to do with basketball instead of academics? Now, if it is basketball, would you think he may have struggled and made no progress at SJ or just did not accept a diminishing role in the Dunlap offense?
If I told you he tried to transfer 3 weeks ago to a local school to play for the coach who recruited him to SJ, would you think it was academics or basketball-related?
Believe what you want, but I am pretty certain of two things----Stith will not be at SJ next year and coach Lavin will be with 6 new players, 3 new starters and who ever leaves ---- leaves. That is the nature of the game these days.
As far as people "ripping" coach D as "old school" and some players preferring to play "street ball", I will go with old school and rather lose those players. There are a few old school coaches out there that do not take sh*t from players and their names include coach Williams at UNC, coach K at Duke, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, just to name a few.

Have a great day!

(1) For the last time, I'm not "ripping" Lavin. I'm simply pointing out that the facts don't add up. If Lavin is cancer free and had standard prostate surgery without major complications, it is inexplicable why he is out this long. I have no idea what's going on, but I think that those who care about the program should be concerned instead of drinking the coolaid. Incidentally, there is a difference between calling out a coach who chooses to be in the public light and make millions of dollars and a student athelete. Ufortunately, sometimes the line is blurred.

(2) So what -- Stith's player profile says he wants to play in the NBA. I'm sure every college basketball player harbors the same dream. Doesn't mean a thing. Unless you have some inside info (if you do, you probably shouldn't be speading it on a message oard), you have no idea why he quit the team. I don't doubt that he will try to play somewhere else next year. That doesn't mean that he's a quitter or a bad person. Who knows what the circumstances are with the team. All I know is that in 9 months, three playsrs have quit, three were declared ineligible and we have one recruit signed up for next year. Who's to blame -- I don't know. Maybe it's all on Stith and Lindsey and Polee's Dad and Gather's brother and Sampson's Kansas-loving coach and Lavin's doctors and Norm Roberts and Mike Jarvis and Elija Ingram and the stripper from Pittsburgh.

Have a Great Day -- In Lavin We Trust[/quote] 

I understand the frustration and maybe I have a different outlook than others in that I thought it would be 2-3 years before we could field a competitive team having flipped the whole roster. So I applaud what the coaching staff has done and I am not surprised by anything that has happened except Stith. Not sure how to read that at all; it really doesn't make sense other than he can't play for academic or personal reasons. Having said that, I'll ask you the same question I have asked other posters who judge Lavin's absence. What motivation could he possibly have for not coaching if he is physically able? He just decided he didn't want to coach so he got the doctor's to write him an excuse? It just seems unfeasible to me that that is what is going on. As a non-medical person it does seem unusual to me but it seems more bizarre to think he could coach and he is just being that unethical - to his staff, to his players, to the fans, to the school. And how would he ever be able to recruit once it came out that that is what happened? And after working in the media for however many years he knows eventually it would come out. Now he took a gamble on some of the players he recruited last year, both in terms of academics and maturity but IMO those gambles were worth it given the amount of players he needed and the short time frame he had to recruit. The gambles did not work out, but I did not and do not see the point in recruiting players who undoubtedly could not compete at this level, just wasting scholarships on warm bodies. Fans can complain but I have been watching basketball for 50 years and I don't know if I have ever enjoyed a year as much as this one because these kids are pretty much putting it all out there in uncharted waters and if they hang in together I think they will have serious basketball success while going through an experience that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

Well Boo Hoo Boo! You may think we are "ripping" a "kid" when all we are doing is reporting the obvious but you Boo Hoo can
1------rip a coach for being MIA under mysterious circumstances----recovering from cancer surgery not plausible
2------blame the coaches for recruits poor prep grades
3------blame coach D for losing Lindsey and Stith

I am having a ripping good time reading your conspiracy theories...LMAO!

Malik wants to do what is best for his family-----get to the pro game----somewhere. He has been saying that since freshmen year to anyone who asked. FYI....from Malik's SJ player profile:

UP CLOSE WITH MALIK STITH
Few people know that: I'm better at football.
After St. John's or after my basketball career, I'd like to: Play in the NBA.
Favorite quote: "No struggle in progress."

Two final things Boo----if Mr. Stith "transfers" after this semester to "play" somewhere else, would you think it had to do with basketball instead of academics? Now, if it is basketball, would you think he may have struggled and made no progress at SJ or just did not accept a diminishing role in the Dunlap offense?
If I told you he tried to transfer 3 weeks ago to a local school to play for the coach who recruited him to SJ, would you think it was academics or basketball-related?
Believe what you want, but I am pretty certain of two things----Stith will not be at SJ next year and coach Lavin will be with 6 new players, 3 new starters and who ever leaves ---- leaves. That is the nature of the game these days.
As far as people "ripping" coach D as "old school" and some players preferring to play "street ball", I will go with old school and rather lose those players. There are a few old school coaches out there that do not take sh*t from players and their names include coach Williams at UNC, coach K at Duke, Jim Calhoun, Jim Boeheim, just to name a few.

Have a great day!

(1) For the last time, I'm not "ripping" Lavin. I'm simply pointing out that the facts don't add up. If Lavin is cancer free and had standard prostate surgery without major complications, it is inexplicable why he is out this long. I have no idea what's going on, but I think that those who care about the program should be concerned instead of drinking the coolaid. Incidentally, there is a difference between calling out a coach who chooses to be in the public light and make millions of dollars and a student athelete. Ufortunately, sometimes the line is blurred.

(2) So what -- Stith's player profile says he wants to play in the NBA. I'm sure every college basketball player harbors the same dream. Doesn't mean a thing. Unless you have some inside info (if you do, you probably shouldn't be speading it on a message oard), you have no idea why he quit the team. I don't doubt that he will try to play somewhere else next year. That doesn't mean that he's a quitter or a bad person. Who knows what the circumstances are with the team. All I know is that in 9 months, three playsrs have quit, three were declared ineligible and we have one recruit signed up for next year. Who's to blame -- I don't know. Maybe it's all on Stith and Lindsey and Polee's Dad and Gather's brother and Sampson's Kansas-loving coach and Lavin's doctors and Norm Roberts and Mike Jarvis and Elija Ingram and the stripper from Pittsburgh.

Have a Great Day -- In Lavin We Trust

I understand the frustration and maybe I have a different outlook than others in that I thought it would be 2-3 years before we could field a competitive team having flipped the whole roster. So I applaud what the coaching staff has done and I am not surprised by anything that has happened except Stith. Not sure how to read that at all; it really doesn't make sense other than he can't play for academic or personal reasons. Having said that, I'll ask you the same question I have asked other posters who judge Lavin's absence. What motivation could he possibly have for not coaching if he is physically able? He just decided he didn't want to coach so he got the doctor's to write him an excuse? It just seems unfeasible to me that that is what is going on. As a non-medical person it does seem unusual to me but it seems more bizarre to think he could coach and he is just being that unethical - to his staff, to his players, to the fans, to the school. And how would he ever be able to recruit once it came out that that is what happened? And after working in the media for however many years he knows eventually it would come out. Now he took a gamble on some of the players he recruited last year, both in terms of academics and maturity but IMO those gambles were worth it given the amount of players he needed and the short time frame he had to recruit. The gambles did not work out, but I did not and do not see the point in recruiting players who undoubtedly could not compete at this level, just wasting scholarships on warm bodies. Fans can complain but I have been watching basketball for 50 years and I don't know if I have ever enjoyed a year as much as this one because these kids are pretty much putting it all out there in uncharted waters and if they hang in together I think they will have serious basketball success while going through an experience that will stay with them for the rest of their lives.[/quote]  This is an interesting year and I love our core group,but cant say this is the most enjoyable year. 

As for Drew drawing the ire of other Big 12 coaches-so what? They are not used to being beaten in recruiting and on the court by Baylor. Urban Meyer has already drawn the ire of other Big 10 coaches because he flipped some of their recruits. Who gives a flip what other cry baby coaches say. Would you not want Meyer as your football coach. The iconic Lou Carnessecca never bitched about any other coaches-he just concerned himself with his own house. 

Sometimes, it's not good to burn bridges. Ever heard of that one? Maybe, Drew doesn't care and he probably shouldn't at this point. He still might wanna be careful about ticking off his peers. You never know what might take place down the line.

How do you know whether Carnessecca bitched or not? That was during a different day and time and I'm sure things probably were said and happened during that time we may not know about. It also seemed he didn't particularly take Calipari's tactics too well, either.

How do I know about Lou C-I was around during his time and it was his mantra not to complain about others and just worry about your own team-advice he gave to Jim Calhoun. If we didn't know about his possible complaining that is the point and the difference because we do know what the other coaches are publicly saying in the cases of Drew and Meyer.

As for Drew drawing the ire of other Big 12 coaches-so what? They are not used to being beaten in recruiting and on the court by Baylor. Urban Meyer has already drawn the ire of other Big 10 coaches because he flipped some of their recruits. Who gives a flip what other cry baby coaches say. Would you not want Meyer as your football coach. The iconic Lou Carnessecca never bitched about any other coaches-he just concerned himself with his own house. 

Sometimes, it's not good to burn bridges. Ever heard of that one? Maybe, Drew doesn't care and he probably shouldn't at this point. He still might wanna be careful about ticking off his peers. You never know what might take place down the line.

How do you know whether Carnessecca bitched or not? That was during a different day and time and I'm sure things probably were said and happened during that time we may not know about. It also seemed he didn't particularly take Calipari's tactics too well, either.

How do I know about Lou C-I was around during his time and it was his mantra not to complain about others and just worry about your own team-advice he gave to Jim Calhoun. If we didn't know about his possible complaining that is the point and the difference because we do know what the other coaches are publicly saying in the cases of Drew and Meyer.

I was also around when Carnessecca was coaching. Once again, just because it wasn't public doesn't mean he didn't like some recruiting tactics by the competition. Just because someone has something to say about how a coach is recruiting doesn't mean he's not worried about his team. Maybe, he or she is also concerned about the well-being of the game.

We're in a different time now, and with the advent of the internet and media-driven world we have today, we are more privy to some info that we wouldn't have gotten 20 years ago.

So what do you think is going on with Coach ? Either

1. He is not cancer free yet continues to travel across the country ( I would imagine against Doctor's orders ), lying to recruits, hoping that someday the cancer will disappear.

or

2. Doing what his body and doctors tell him to do, despite incurring the wrath of several SJU fans who say he should be coaching on the sidelines.

Don't tell me you have no idea. Be a big boy and pick one of the above.

1. He is not cancer free yet continues to travel across the country ( I would imagine against Doctor's orders ), lying to recruits, hoping that someday the cancer will disappear.

or

2. Doing what his body and doctors tell him to do, despite incurring the wrath of several SJU fans who say he should be coaching on the sidelines.

Why do those have to be the only options? Maybe he doesn't want to discuss it with the media. There are other things that can happen after prostate cancer surgery like urinary incontinence which don't lend themselves to sideline coaching. It doesn't mean he's not cancer free. Things like incontinence after cancer surgery can take quite a while to improve. Stamina likely isn't the issue, but let's not assume that we know what's best for Steve Lavin and expect him to divulge all his medical record. People have to let it run it's course. I'm positive Lavin would rather be back on the sidelines if he could. He certainly knows that this is not the optimal way to run his program and is no doubt doing the bet he can at this point.

or

Why do those have to be the only options? Maybe he doesn't want to discuss it with the media. There are other things that can happen after prostate cancer surgery like urinary incontinence which don't lend themselves to sideline coaching. It doesn't mean he's not cancer free. Things like incontinence after cancer surgery can take quite a while to improve. Stamina likely isn't the issue, but let's not assume that we know what's best for Steve Lavin and expect him to divulge all his medical record. People have to let it run it's course. I'm positive Lavin would rather be back on the sidelines if he could. He certainly knows that this is not the optimal way to run his program and is no doubt doing the bet he can at this point.

I'll accept your point about other health issues playing a role for his not appearing on the bench as option # 3.

My larger point was if he could be on the bench he would be. And all this talk about having to get back fast to save the program has got to stop. Have enough faith in the man to manage his own health issues without interference from fans.

or

I'll accept your point about other health issues playing a role for his not appearing on the bench as option # 3.

My larger point was if he could be on the bench he would be. And all this talk about having to get back fast to save the program has got to stop. Have enough faith in the man to manage his own health issues without interference from fans.

Agreed...

1) There is absolutely no way Stith plays pro ball anywhere PERIOD. Europe, USA wherever. He's is a dvison 2 player at best, thus why he wants to transfer to CW Post to get some playing time. He does however give great effort and love his desire and compassion to compete. I think he has realized he can't comepte with the guys on the floor now and cannot play uptempo. In the Norm Roberts era he could, but not now.. For a PG he is short, has no outside out outside of 12-15 feet and doesnt pass ball all that well either.

2) As for Lavin. he had a very extensive prostate surgery ( I think it was a 7 hour procedure.) Normal time out is approx 3-4 months before you feel 100%. As he has stated numerous time, he is feeling better and better each day, but as to be expected he doesn't want to come back prematurely again and then have to go back to the GM role. This would set back the basketball program even further and raise even speculation among media and recruits. he is foing the right thing here. As much as we want him back, Lavin is doing the right thing for this program and is busting his A$$ more than any other coach in the country in terms of recruting right now..

With that being said I think Lavin comes back after the Georgetown game, either HALL or UCLA. Most likely UCLA since it's a home game and against his former team. I think he will do this 1) bc he knows he needs to to stop the bleeding and finish the season strong with the current players so no one transfers. and 2) After G'TIWN we play all unranked foes and this will allow the team to build confidence and finish strong down the stretch and maybe make a run in the Big East Tournament.

Kred, the reports of a seven hour procedure as opposed to the normal 3-4 hour procedure suggest that it was successful but also a big deal. Having lost a dear friend to prostate cancer within the past year I am in the any thing he needs to do to fully heal camp. Let Lavs heal and soon our program will fully heal, and then payback will be a bitch

Mods, how much longer do we have to put up with these trolls like illwill, boo harvey, and chronicbucks? I can't believe any of you are even giving them the time of day with your responses. This site is becoming worse than it was during the Norm years, and the past week it's been absolutely unbearable on here. It's one thing to have some concerns about what's gone on this year, but it's another to only post negativity, calling it "realism," criticizing the "koolaid drinkers," and thinking you're a better coach and doctor than Lavin and his doctors. The fact that some of you are questioning Lavin's health and implying he's healthy enough to coach but just doesn't want to is some of the most ignorant and asinine BS I've ever seen in my life. Where were you when we were playing really good ball a few weeks ago? Nowhere to be found. That's not sharing opinions. That's trolling. Get lost already, you don't deserve the winning program that Lavin and his staff are going to turn St. John's in to in the very near future.

or

Exactly. I don't think Larry Brown had prostate cancer, but he had urinary incontinence that kept him out of action for a while. You can duck out while watching a recruit. Tougher during a game.

Mods, how much longer do we have to put up with these trolls like illwill, boo harvey, and chronicbucks? I can't believe any of you are even giving them the time of day with your responses. This site is becoming worse than it was during the Norm years, and the past week it's been absolutely unbearable on here. It's one thing to have some concerns about what's gone on this year, but it's another to only post negativity, calling it "realism," criticizing the "koolaid drinkers," and thinking you're a better coach and doctor than Lavin and his doctors. The fact that some of you are questioning Lavin's health and implying he's healthy enough to coach but just doesn't want to is some of the most ignorant and asinine BS I've ever seen in my life. Where were you when we were playing really good ball a few weeks ago? Nowhere to be found. That's not sharing opinions. That's trolling. Get lost already, you don't deserve the winning program that Lavin and his staff are going to turn St. John's in to in the very near future.

Chronicbucks has been here a while, but can't say I know his story. At least I remember the name. The other two guys, no clue. I think they are bitter Norm lovers trying to stir up crap, to be honest.

Sorry to bring this back to the topic. Honestly, although I never jumped on the Stith bandwagon as some others on here had earlier on, I did expect that he would contribute valuable spot minutes this season, and play considerable steady minutes when there was serious foul trouble or injury.

Talk of Stith being a D2 player is malicious garbage. He never looked overwhelmed on the court, and didn't make a lot of bad decisions. He could bring the ball up, hit an occasional outside shot, and when the time was right, penetrate. He's not a marquis player, but honestly there wasn't a lot of difference on the talent side between him and Malik Boothe.  There is a lot of talent difference between Stith, Greene, and Harrison. However, it's totally understandable if Stith was miffed at being the 7th man in a 6 man rotation. You could even make the argument that our guys would have fresher legs if Stith was getting close to 15-20 mins of action on a consistent basis. I will say that it appeared to me that our guys playing 36-40 mins rarely show any signs of late fatigue.

On the Lavin front, it's pretty offensive to me to have guys question his health on a continual basis. Yes, I think we are a different team with Lavin on the bench. Remember, though, Coach left money on the table to be able to hire the best staff anywhere. Prostate cancer can be a killer, you have no clue as to the meds he is on, or the physical toll of the surgery, and unless you are an oncologist with access to Lavin's medical records, SHUT UP.

Jason believe me everything is being looked at and reviewed by the mods.
While everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinion we do recognize that the primary purpose of the site is for fans of SJU bball.
Thanks for your concern and all of the great support you promote.

Are you seriously asking the mods to step in bc some of us don't share your opinion? And calling those who don't share your view trolls? You're embarrassing yourself

Jason believe me everything is being looked at and reviewed by the mods.
While everyone should be given the chance to voice their opinion we do recognize that the primary purpose of the site is for fans of SJU bball.
Thanks for your concern and all of the great support you promote.

Although until recently, I've seldom posted, I have been a nearly daily visitor of this site for quite some time. I listened to the incessant norm bashing and the optimism when coach lav came in. I am troubled by the the notion that the moderators would consider censoring the viewpoints of others that are not in the mainstream. Those of us who have voiced our concern or frustration with the state of the program have been subject to inappropriate ad hominem attacks. I understand that nobody likes to hear negativity being expressed about a program that they love. It is painful for some to hear and others may believe that the concerns are unfounded. The fact of the matter is that many true fans are questioning the state of the program. I very much respect the time and commitment that the moderators put into running this site but I caution them not to stifle the viewpoints of those who you may disagree with.

Back