St. John's University Forbe's rated #15

tom in salem

St. John's University Forbe's rated #15 college that will make you rich!

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/27/college-graduate-salary-earnings-lifestyle-education-colleges-10-rich_slide_16.html

That's two wins in a row over Duke! :)

This is the type of list that points out the strengths of schools like St. John's.....great press!

Thanks Tom! 

Fantastic. SJU produces where it matters. SJU grads do very well in terms of median career salaries.

NYC and opportunities for internships on Wall St, in large corporations and the media certainly factored into this. ,

Quite a contrast. SJU at the lower echelon in terms of academic prestige but way up there when it comes to job opportunities..

Students nowadays much more interested in the latter than the former.

Location. location, location.

Great recognition by Forbes.

Lets hope that our beloved St. John's marketing department uses the Forbes designation to market itself to alums for contributions, and prospective students.

Academic prestige is overrated. The ability to make a living is where its at, especially in these tough economic times.

To borrow words from the movie Jerry McGuire. " Show me the money "

Thats some good PR 

Anyone know the % of graduates that ultimately end up living/working in the NYC area?

If the majority of the graduates stay in the NYC area, I don't think that that salary is all that impressive.

I have lived in Chicago for the past 30 years and fortunately have done very well. But my impression is that SJU is looked at well in the NY area but is an unknown academically outside NY. All they know is that we are are good basketball school.

Of course they know more about it now because I talk up our school all the time. 

.... All they know is that we are are good basketball school.

Hopefully we will be known as a good basketball school for a long time.

I wonder what our ranking would be if we factored out Mike Repole??? 

Still a lot higher than Oklahoma St., and they factored in T. Boone Pickens. 

All these schools have successful business men. Mike Repole probably doesn't sway our ranking as much as you think. Yes he is a very successful alum, but SJU as a whole has done well in this ranking for a long time now.

MCNPA, the comment was made in jest!!! I always felt that SJU graduates were overachievers who had done very well over the years. I would like to think that I am one of them!!!!
Have a great Christmas Holiday!!! 

Williams and Dartmouth must really be impressive, because I do a lot of work with Stanford and that place has so many billionaires associated with it it's scary.

We could improvw our ranking well into the top ten if more of our grads would become cops in Suffolk or aides to congressmen. 

Not sure if there are salary stats of graduates pre 1985 and post, or in some defined time period.

In my era at SJU, there were a large number of extremely bright kids who today would have gone elsewhere, and whose children do go elsewhere to better acedemic schools. A large number of my classmates went on to law school, some have had great success as entrpreneurs, and others on wall street.

I'm not denigrating more recent graduates from SJU, but in the 60s, 70s, 80s, if you went to a Cahtolic Hs in brooklyn, queens, or LI, there was a great chance you'd end up at SJU no matter how smart you were. Today, the demographics of brooklyn and queens have changed, and the best and brightest from LI choose SJU less frequently.  

Think the university can do a much better job of highlighting the success of our alumni, although they do a much, much better job of doing it than 20 years ago.

What do you think about the idea of an Alumni Hall of Fame?

Perhaps pictures of alumni with a note about their professional accomplishments should be posted in a place that would be visible to all. 

Personally, I don't think that most people have any idea how successful many of our grads have been. In fact, it's one of the best kept secrets at the university.

St. John's just isn't a basketball school.

Recently saw an ad for St. Dominic's High School (Oyster Bay, Long Island) in NEWSDAY which featured graduates who went to Fordham, ND, Harvard, Yale, West Point, Georgetown, Boston U, Villanova, Providence, Gettysburg, Wisconsin and Maryland. but NOT ONE mention of St. John's.

Granted, we are not Harvard or Yale, but PC, Gettysburg, and Maryland, for example, has nothing on St. John's

Think the university can do a much better job of highlighting the success of our alumni, although they do a much, much better job of doing it than 20 years ago.

What do you think about the idea of an Alumni Hall of Fame?

Perhaps pictures of alumni with a note about their professional accomplishments should be posted in a place that would be visible to all. 

Personally, I don't think that most people have any idea how successful many of our grads have been. In fact, it's one of the best kept secrets at the university.

St. John's just isn't a basketball school.

Recently saw an ad for St. Dominic's High School (Oyster Bay, Long Island) in NEWSDAY which featured graduates who went to Fordham, ND, Harvard, Yale, West Point, Georgetown, Boston U, Villanova, Providence, Gettysburg, Wisconsin and Maryland. but NOT ONE mention of St. John's.

Granted, we are not Harvard or Yale, but PC, Gettysburg, and Maryland, for example, has nothing on St. John's

Also, would like to see each "college" at St. John's disclose the SAT scores for their entering class. Think it would help the reputation of St. John's College, Pharmacy and CBA.

Re your (Beast of the East) comment about how kids from Brooklyn, Queens and L.I. would wind up at St. John's, I have a friend who had 3 kids go to St. Anthony's High School on Long Island who didn't even consider St. John's and wound up at PC and Siena. They felt St. John's wasn't a good school. Take it for what it's worth. It's not like they were going to Columbia.

Back