St. John's has a secure future with Lavin

T6K0E6

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34216876

ARTICLE BELOW

"From the outside, it might look like St. John’s is falling apart.

The Red Storm had a great year last season, going 21-12 and getting a No. 6 seed in the NCAA tournament. Since then, they have lost two members of their vaunted class of 2011; had both commits from the class of 2012 rescind their pledges; and also had two players transfer. Moreover, head coach Steve Lavin has barely been able to coach as he recovers from prostate cancer surgery.

As a result, St. John’s has struggled so far this season. The Red Storm are 7-7, including losses to Northeastern and Detroit.

With all this said, the basketball program is not the house of cards that it looks like from the outside.

After talking with people inside and outside the basketball program on Thursday, there’s still excitement about St. John’s basketball. There’s optimism, there’s enthusiasm. While the Red Storm will certainly have a terrible record this year, it will be chalked up to a lack of experience and a lack of bodies. Most people think Lavin will turn it around next season.

Sources say the coaching staff is optimistic they will still get 2012 decommit Ricardo Gathers and 2011 decommit JaKarr Sampson. Both reopened their recruitments, but are still considering the Red Storm. They’re very strong with Our Savior New American (N.Y.) guard Felix Balamou and junior college forward Orlando Sanchez. St. John’s is also in the mix for top-100 big man Chris Obekpa.

2012 prospect Darrick Wood decommitted on Thursday, but sources say he might have had NCAA Clearinghouse problems down the road. Nuri Lindsey transferred last month, but sources say he too was having academic difficulties at St. John’s.

Former Texas A&M transfer Jamal Branch, who left the Aggies last week, will take a visit to St. John’s this weekend. He’s a former four-star recruit who would be a major pick up at the point guard position for the Red Storm.

The biggest factor in all of this is Lavin. While people have been saying for weeks he might not return to coach this season, he is still on the recruiting trail and even attended the Red Storm’s game against Louisville earlier this week. St. John’s has maintained from the outset that he will wait until he’s healthy to return to coaching full-time; they still believe that. There have been rumors tying him to other head coaching jobs or going back to television, but St. John’s is not concerned about him leaving the program.

As long as Lavin is the head coach, there is excitement for St. John’s basketball. The fan support is still better than it was in the days of Norm Roberts, and the Red Storm are getting far more national coverage than they were a few years ago. If he leaves, of course, then the program will be set back several years.

Lavin is the key card. As long as he’s around, St. John’s will not fall apart."

I have faith in Lavin. I don't believe the rumors and don't think for a second that he will leave St. John's.

This young team has a lot of talent waiting for it to be developed and with some good reinforcements next year we will be more than fine.

There isn't a shadow of a doubt in my mind that Steve Lavin will stand by everything he's said about what he intends to do at St. John's.

I feel w all the decommits and ineligibilities we lost a year. Next year we have a good shot of being a top 25 team and starting 2013 watch out.  If Lavin wasnt coming back why would he be busting his ass recruiting?

I feel w all the decommits and ineligibilities we lost a year. Next year we have a good shot of being a top 25 team and starting 2013 watch out.  If Lavin wasnt coming back why would he be busting his ass recruiting?

Why would Lavin not come back?

Thats a good question. But rumors are out there.

really enjoyed reading this story. Shows that people in the know feel st johns is on the road back. It will take this year and next to put together a full squad, but with a year this years team is getting better. add a few cogs to the machines and 2012-13 and beyond is exciting.

about alleged rumors, i am sure others are putting them out there to maybe sway players away from us, but Lavin is working hard at building a top 10 progam and has no reason to look elsewear. If he is healthy he will be our coach for years to come, and it is going to be so much fun being a st johns fan. 

really enjoyed reading this story. Shows that people in the know feel st johns is on the road back. It will take this year and next to put together a full squad, but with a year this years team is getting better. add a few cogs to the machines and 2012-13 and beyond is exciting.

about alleged rumors, i am sure others are putting them out there to maybe sway players away from us, but Lavin is working hard at building a top 10 progam and has no reason to look elsewear. If he is healthy he will be our coach for years to come, and it is going to be so much fun being a st johns fan. 

Wouldn't hurt either if his wife landed a recurring role on Law & Order or some other NYC-based TV series :)

Great initial and follow-up posts!!! Terrific article for St. John's family and gives a balanced view.

You can spin this many ways - (are "enemies" of course will try to detract). This process shows prospective parents that the Coach and the School have their priorities right - health and education AND basketball.

The same lures and advantages that SJU offers - good education, charming campus with nearby Big Apple, the Garden, the dirt and crime and exorbitant tuition :lol: , I mean the quality of life, and a staff that knows basketball etc.

Hey even though I'm old enough to have watched the original Gumby and Pokey (my son plays some of that "music" stuff with such lyrics), and my memory seems to think I served with Sherman et al., I still have 4 years of eligibility and maybe I'll try to walk on, or limp on….because what we offer

SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE but it is true.

We are so fortunate that we found Lavin and he found us. A win-win.

all the best 

In a post above I stated (based on character) that there was no doubt in my mind that Lavin would be with us for years to come. Since the rumors persist let me offer a few more objective reasons for such certainty.

Coach Lavin put all his eggs into the St. John's basket when (with all the enthusiasm of an evangelical preacher) he launched a media campaign (on a Mike Todd scale) about what he intended to do with our program. If Lavin were to back out of his commitment to St. John's (except if so dictated by the medical establishment) during his second year while the program was still foundering - he would irreparably damage his reputation and his image. It would constitute turning his back on the players he recruited, the coaches he brought with him, the fans and the university in his first postion after returning to coaching. Even his closest colleagues in the media would have to take umbrage in some such move. Therefore, It is inconceivable that he would leave us high and dry at this point. Let's let the rumor rest in peace.

A terrific fair and balanced article by CBS Sports....Well done! 

I am friends with a close business associate of one of the big name Big East head basketball coaches.

I asked the friend about the ugly rumor that Lavin would soon exit St.John's.

My friend's reply was that the BEast head coach who he speaks to 3+/- times per day and probable sees 4 times each week believes that Lavin is in for the long term at St.John's and the coach had never mentioned to him that Lavin may be leaving.

The friend expressed the opinion that the ugly rumors regarding Lavin are "crazy internet rumors" from non St.John's fans who hope Lavin leaves St.John's, or trash talk on the recruiting trail from a coach competing for a recruit against St.John's.

The friend told me that being a head coach during a game in the Big East is much more physically and mentally draining than most realize or could appreciate.

In Lavin I trust.

This young team is money... All of them. Harkless and Harrison are All-big east quality players right now. We add some size up front, Jamal branch and some others and we could be top 4 in the Big east last year depending on who we land of course.  Our core is really that good. Even Amir came on today.

In a post above I stated (based on character) that there was no doubt in my mind that Lavin would be with us for years to come. Since the rumors persist let me offer a few more objective reasons for such certainty.

Coach Lavin put all his eggs into the St. John's basket when (with all the enthusiasm of an evangelical preacher) he launched a media campaign (on a Mike Todd scale) about what he intended to do with our program. If Lavin were to back out of his commitment to St. John's (except if so dictated by the medical establishment) during his second year while the program was still foundering - he would irreparably damage his reputation and his image. It would constitute turning his back on the players he recruited, the coaches he brought with him, the fans and the university in his first postion after returning to coaching. Even his closest colleagues in the media would have to take umbrage in some such move. Therefore, It is inconceivable that he would leave us high and dry at this point. Let's let the rumor rest in peace.

I agree...I know there are many coaches who are all about themselves but I get the impression that this guy places a high degree of importance on traditional values (kudos to his upbringing).

I agree...I know there are many coaches who are all about themselves but I get the impression that this guy places a high degree of importance on traditional values (kudos to his upbringing). 

Back