SJU Portal Targets

I take Smith. I feel like he can pull more offense out of our perimeter players and push the pace. I also love the idea of having a great athlete in the backcourt after last season.

I do think they can coexist. Smith isn’t a dribble the air out PG.
Both of them are ball dominant players that create for themselves and others and have slim or zero shot gravity off the ball. Neither one of them is equipped to or will want to play major stretches off the ball. There will be zero driving lanes available in a Kadary/Smith/Luis lineup.

Not going to get into the Kadary vs Smith argument because I could see both sides of it, but to me it’s one or the other and they absolutely need to be paired with a solid catch and shoot guy at the other guard spot

If Richmond is the point guard handling the ball, what exactly will Wilcher's role be? Also, even though Richmond averaged 5.1 APG, he also averaged 3.1 TO's per game. Finally since his 3P% was only 27%, won't defenders back off of him thus creating problems for our 3 point shooters to get open? Just wondering how Richmond fits in.

I think Wilcher is our third guard, first off the bench. I expect him to average around 15-20mpg and take a big jump from last season.

Both of them are ball dominant players that create for themselves and others and have slim or zero shot gravity off the ball. Neither one of them is equipped to or will want to play major stretches off the ball. There will be zero driving lanes available in a Kadary/Smith/Luis lineup.

Not going to get into the Kadary vs Smith argument because I could see both sides of it, but to me it’s one or the other and they absolutely need to be paired with a solid catch and shoot guy at the other guard spot
And recall who Pitino said last year where his two best shooters, repeatedly, ahead of even Dunlap who folks might think of offhand for various reasons: Dingle 1. Wilcher 2.

Would they be willing to is the question, and one I can’t answer.

Uconn got 6.2 assists from Newton, 3.6 from Spencer, 2.9 from Castle, and 2.4 from Diarra this year 3/4 arguably can’t shoot better than Smith and Richmond.

If Richmond really wants to win he will have to give up the reins a bit to his next team. E.g., he can’t go to UConn and do what he did this year.

Funny thing as antsy as we all were getting including me why do I get the feeling Rick Matt have been playing chess all along ( other than Cliff )
I'm now swinging to the other pendulum (again), where I think if Cliff escapes Alabama without a commit, we may all be surprised with that one also.

What's going on with Pitino and staff? Asleep at the helm? Where are our new players? Oh yeah, 2 down, X number to go. Who's next?

Back