RJ Luis Update

I truly believe we haven’t seen a healthy RJ yet, and when he is we will see a very different player.
I think practicing with the team will mean that he know's what he's supposed to do when the ball winds up in his hands. We practice so that we don't have to think during the game. If we haven't practiced, nature will take over. That's what we saw last year - a barely familiar with his teammates, injured, highly-athletic and skilled (in all honesty) ball-hog. I don't expect the same this year.

He will clearly be one of the top talent's on the floor on any given night against BOTH out-of-conference and Big East competition. One step at a time, but if he 100% buys into CRP's system, this team (which includes an elite caliber backcourt) will have the potential to reach a very high ceiling.

We have a lot of good pieces on this team. Without knowing yet how his rehab after the surgery has gone (although I am confident it has gone well) this is the wild card to the team. If healthy and plays within the system look out for this team America.

There were parts of every single game he was in where he looked liked the best player on floor for both teams. We need to see more of that while minimizing the other extreme.
Always difficult to buy what Rick is selling but Rick is saying he loves this team and it has the potential to be as good as any in the country. I would imagine that any sugarplums in Rick's head include Luis as a major cog. If healthy, am confident Rick has already improved his game significantly.

Always difficult to buy what Rick is selling but Rick is saying he loves this team and it has the potential to be as good as any in the country. I would imagine that any sugarplums in Rick's head include Luis as a major cog. If healthy, am confident Rick has already improved his game significantly.
Rick's amateur psychology is tough to take at times. Last year at this time he said we had 7 second round draft picks. It took about 3 minutes of the Michigan game for him to realize we were just completely out-gunned physically.

I do cut him slack with his assessment last year because he had to recalibrate his mind to high-major basketball after the Iona stint. Last season was more than enough to get him there IMO. This year I think will be a whole new world *cue the Aladdin music*

A whole new world
a new fantastic point guard
no one to tell us no
or that we're slow
or say we're only dribbling

Rick's amateur psychology is tough to take at times. Last year at this time he said we had 7 second round draft picks. It took about 3 minutes of the Michigan game for him to realize we were just completely out-gunned physically.

I do cut him slack with his assessment last year because he had to recalibrate his mind to high-major basketball after the Iona stint. Last season was more than enough to get him there IMO. This year I think will be a whole new world *cue the Aladdin music*

A whole new world
no one to tell us no
or that we're slow
How jafar are you willing to go?

A whole new world
no one to tell us no
or that we're slow
I was there when Rick made that statement. I think the context was that we had about 7 guys (he didn't name names) who had a chance to be second round picks if they worked hard at improving deficiencies and developing a high motor. I read it as purely motivational, encouraging guys to become the very best they could be, and that could land them in the second round of the NBA draft. I don't think anyone in the room (I believe it was at the basketball kickoff dinner) believed he was saying we had 7 second round picks on our roster.

You know you are getting older when a good day for you is getting asked for ID when you buy beer at a St. John’s game
And making the same dumbass comments some old guys make when getting IDd, even though they ID everyone to avoid conflicts with those they are unsure about.

The more appropriate version is being asked for proof that you qualify for a senior ticket on the LIRR.

And making the same dumbass comments some old guys make when getting IDd, even though they ID everyone to avoid conflicts with those they are unsure about.

The more appropriate version is being asked for proof that you qualify for a senior ticket on the LIRR.
You mean the women bartenders at msg aren’t hitting on me like I think ? 😀

Back