Rick Pitino for HC

If we ever have an opening I would hire him with a contract that would allow the school to terminate him for a wide variety of poor / unethical behaviour and would also offer a base less than we currently pay with a host of incentives that would encourage him to succeed. I would not pay $2 million annually and take a chance that the Head Coach would not work hard. Incentives would be based on wins, games on national tv, attendance at the Garden and fundraising which the head coach was involved in, meaning events where the coach would speak and be present for the purpose of fundraising.
In such a scenario it could be a huge win win for both parties. Time for SJU to think out of the box.
At Pitino's age his idea of a daily double is a glass of prune juice and an enema (Thanks Rodney). No worries here.

Love looking back at old threads with wisdom of hindsight. lol
You can go a lot further back than 2019 too. There is nothing dirtier than college basketball and college football and some of our fans were more comfortable sticking their heads in the sand than taking on Pitino. There has been almost literally no bad press. We should have broke the bank years ago for Pitino or Calipari. Whatever we paid them would have come back 5-fold in returns. Has there been any bad press about us hiring Pitino at all? Almost everything has been over-the-top positive.

You can go a lot further back than 2019 too. There is nothing dirtier than college basketball and college football and some of our fans were more comfortable sticking their heads in the sand than taking on Pitino. There has been almost literally no bad press. We should have broke the bank years ago for Pitino or Calipari. Whatever we paid them would have come back 5-fold in returns. Has there been any bad press about us hiring Pitino at all? Almost everything has been over-the-top positive.
Yep, the concern about negative press was way overblown by a handful of holier-than-thou posters.

Yep, the concern about negative press was way overblown by a handful of holier-than-thou posters.
Absolutely. All that is required is to look at all the positive publicity (both locally and nationally) surrounding the program.

From the NIL, which is being supported by a wide group of people and not mainly by Repole, to a big jump in season ticket sales, all lead to SJU stock being a buy rating. People want to be a part of it.

All that is missing is President Reagan talking about a “new Harvard”.

Absolutely. All that is required is to look at all the positive publicity (both locally and nationally) surrounding the program.

From the NIL, which is being supported by a wide group of people and not mainly by Repole, to a big jump in season ticket sales, all lead to SJU stock being a buy rating. People want to be a part of it.

All that is missing is President Reagan talking about a “new Harvard”.
Remember Pres. Reagan speech well, still can picture where I was inside "Alumni Hall"

Its been awesome seeing how much St. John's is talked about

I thought we should have jumped on Pitino when Mullin was fired. Ironic that a Catholic school like Iona beat us to the punch. Lost 4 years of potential on the delay- but better late than never!

We should have jumped on Pitino BEFORE Mullin was hired!
Yeah that would have been nice. I think after the Jarvis era, the school just wasn’t willing to put big resources into the program. We got lucky in that Pitino‘s circumstances got him booted from the big leagues.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the stars had to be aligned in order for the Pitino-SJU marriage to happen. This was the right time and the only time in SJu history that this could have happened.
Exactly. I'm not even sure he liked us before Greece. Luckily he really likes us now. The effort he's putting into the job is mind-blowing.

Exactly. I'm not even sure he liked us before Greece. Luckily he really likes us now. The effort he's putting into the job is mind-blowing.
I am on record as saying that they should have made the call in 2019 and he would've listened. The Zags article below indicates he would have definitely been interested.

But I am not sure even if Shanley were at SJU in 2019 he would have hired Pitino then since he was still under NCAA cloud. To be fair it was easier for Shanley to make call in 2023 once Pitino was cleared by NCAA.

Again I would have taken the chance in 2019, I advocated repeatedly on this board in fact I said if they are scared with the NCAA stuff they should have called Indianapolis to get a read.

Back