Rick Pitino for HC

[quote="Big Baller" post=328256]Would St. John's ever go after Rick Pitino, seeing as Chris Mullin is not improving as a head coach?[/quote]

Very doubtful SJU would go after Pitino with his baggage. Mullin is not going to be fired, so unless he resigns, there is no vacancy. Agree Mullin certainly is not improving as a coach.

[quote="ron " post=328261][quote="Big Baller" post=328256]Would St. John's ever go after Rick Pitino, seeing as Chris Mullin is not improving as a head coach?[/quote]

Very doubtful SJU would go after Pitino with his baggage. Mullin is not going to be fired, so unless he resigns, there is no vacancy. Agree Mullin certainly is not improving as a coach.[/quote]

Oh, please.

4 year record:
Year 1: 8 Wins
Year 2: 14 Wins
Year 3: 16 Wins
Year 4: 20 Wins and counting

Would we like more? Sure. Not improving? As Bill Parcells famously said, "You are what your record says you are." And the record says he's improving.

Would we all have liked 20 wins in year 2, sweet sixteen in year 3, and final 4 this year? Yup. Of course. So go ahead and say he hasn't improved fast enough for your liking, that's fine, I get it. But to say he isn't improving is ignoring the facts.

I will agree with this: Mullin is not going anywhere, but if he were, why go in the direction of an admittedly brilliant basketball mind who's best days are likely in the rear-view mirror? I would much rather see if Brad Stevens has had enough of the NBA nonsense and wants to come back to the College ranks. If I'm not mistaken, his 6 year deal is almost up.

Again, doesn't matter, Mullin is staying, he has a solid group of players coming in next year, and it's likely that we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.

[quote="PharmaJohnny" post=328266]we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.[/quote]

Based on?

[quote="Big Baller" post=328256]Would St. John's ever go after Rick Pitino, seeing as Chris Mullin is not improving as a head coach?[/quote]

N E V E R !!!!!!!

Pharma Johnny wrote: we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.

Don't think it's fair to say we haven't been relevant for a long long time. Steve Lavin had his faults but he absolutely made the program relevant again, especially his first year. Not meant as a criticism of Chris who I am very much rooting for to succeed.

Last "good" coach we had was Fraschilla. He could coach and recruit. What's odd about him is that he was a "knucklehead" at St John's and New Mexico and got fired at both places. Yet, when you watch him on TV or listen to him on Sirius/XM, he seems "normal" and sounds like a guy you would love to have as the coach of your team.

Would never happen but I wouldn't mind if it did. Bill Self still has a job and so does Sean Miller. All the top coaches are filthy from John Wooden to Coach K, thats a fact. These guys have been paying players under the table for decades. College basketball/football is a dirty business, this is pretty well known. Plus he didnt get charged with anything in court anyway. All I see is a Hall of Fame coach who would get the job done. C'mon hes an old italian guy from NYC, he is a perfect fit for SJU.

[quote="PharmaJohnny" post=328266][quote="ron " post=328261][quote="Big Baller" post=328256]Would St. John's ever go after Rick Pitino, seeing as Chris Mullin is not improving as a head coach?[/quote]

Very doubtful SJU would go after Pitino with his baggage. Mullin is not going to be fired, so unless he resigns, there is no vacancy. Agree Mullin certainly is not improving as a coach.[/quote]

Oh, please.

4 year record:

Would we like more? Sure. Not improving? As Bill Parcells famously said, "You are what your record says you are." And the record says he's improving.

Would we all have liked 20 wins in year 2, sweet sixteen in year 3, and final 4 this year? Yup. Of course. So go ahead and say he hasn't improved fast enough for your liking, that's fine, I get it. But to say he isn't improving is ignoring the facts.

I will agree with this: Mullin is not going anywhere, but if he were, why go in the direction of an admittedly brilliant basketball mind who's best days are likely in the rear-view mirror? I would much rather see if Brad Stevens has had enough of the NBA nonsense and wants to come back to the College ranks. If I'm not mistaken, his 6 year deal is almost up.

Again, doesn't matter, Mullin is staying, he has a solid group of players coming in next year, and it's likely that we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.[/quote]
Better chance of Pitino than Stevens haha. If Stevens comes back to college he can write his own ticket anywhere and name his price which will be in the 5 mill per range.

If we ever have an opening I would hire him with a contract that would allow the school to terminate him for a wide variety of poor / unethical behaviour and would also offer a base less than we currently pay with a host of incentives that would encourage him to succeed. I would not pay $2 million annually and take a chance that the Head Coach would not work hard. Incentives would be based on wins, games on national tv, attendance at the Garden and fundraising which the head coach was involved in, meaning events where the coach would speak and be present for the purpose of fundraising.
In such a scenario it could be a huge win win for both parties. Time for SJU to think out of the box.

[quote="NCJohnnie" post=328275]Pharma Johnny wrote: we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.

Don't think it's fair to say we haven't been relevant for a long long time. Steve Lavin had his faults but he absolutely made the program relevant again, especially his first year. Not meant as a criticism of Chris who I am very much rooting for to succeed.[/quote]

Very fair point.

And I think at this point in the season, we are ALL rooting for Chris to succeed! What we all wouldn't give for a nice run right now.....

[quote="bamafan" post=328298][quote="PharmaJohnny" post=328266][quote="ron " post=328261][quote="Big Baller" post=328256]Would St. John's ever go after Rick Pitino, seeing as Chris Mullin is not improving as a head coach?[/quote]

Oh, please.

4 year record:

Again, doesn't matter, Mullin is staying, he has a solid group of players coming in next year, and it's likely that we will be relevant at least for the foreseeable future, something we haven't been able to say for a loooong looooong time.[/quote]
Better chance of Pitino than Stevens haha. If Stevens comes back to college he can write his own ticket anywhere and name his price which will be in the 5 mill per range.[/quote]

True, I definitely agree, he's in a position to write his own ticket, and I really do wonder if he's considering it. It just seems to me that the NBA stuff is starting to wear on him. I wouldn't be shocked at all with a scenario where Arizona parts ways with Sean Miller and Stevens slides in.

[quote="redmannorth" post=328302]If we ever have an opening I would hire him with a contract that would allow the school to terminate him for a wide variety of poor / unethical behaviour and would also offer a base less than we currently pay with a host of incentives that would encourage him to succeed. I would not pay $2 million annually and take a chance that the Head Coach would not work hard. Incentives would be based on wins, games on national tv, attendance at the Garden and fundraising which the head coach was involved in, meaning events where the coach would speak and be present for the purpose of fundraising.
In such a scenario it could be a huge win win for both parties. Time for SJU to think out of the box.[/quote]

Here's an out if the box idea: pay each 5 star player $200k each to come here, and get the sneaker company to pay for it.

Never understood why even questioning the possibility of Pitino was always regarded as if you were saying "the moon landing was staged" or "the earth is flat". As others said, there are tons of dirty coaches and he hasn't even been charged. Didn't he just lead a team in Greece to a championship? That would give credence to the fact that he isn't just a good salesman but a good coach too. This day in age people want to cave to pressure immediately without realizing that the negative press goes away if you just ignore it and you win. It's not a crazy idea all things considered. You weather the storm of a few negative articles and then winning silences critics. Same idea with Rice if we hired him for AC but that's moot.

Last edited:
[quote="Beast of the East" post=328315][quote="redmannorth" post=328302]If we ever have an opening I would hire him with a contract that would allow the school to terminate him for a wide variety of poor / unethical behaviour and would also offer a base less than we currently pay with a host of incentives that would encourage him to succeed. I would not pay $2 million annually and take a chance that the Head Coach would not work hard. Incentives would be based on wins, games on national tv, attendance at the Garden and fundraising which the head coach was involved in, meaning events where the coach would speak and be present for the purpose of fundraising.
In such a scenario it could be a huge win win for both parties. Time for SJU to think out of the box.[/quote]

Here's an out if the box idea: pay each 5 star player $200k each to come here, and get the sneaker company to pay for it.[/quote]] Not sure that's so outside the box.. isn't that how Arizona fields a team now?

Back