Recruits under the radar?

guru

Let's say Sampson rumor is true and obpeka does not sign.... Does any of our very well versed board members know of any under the radar recruits we may not have spoke of?

This is sounding more and more like the days when Norm used to strike out on all of the majors. Then, he'd sign an under the radar player with "great athleticism" who would subsequently transfer after his freshman season. 

This is sounding more and more like the days when Norm used to strike out on all of the majors. Then, he'd sign an under the radar player with "great athleticism" who would subsequently transfer after his freshman season. 

except we go after top 50 talent now

A few Norm-style players is fine too. We need depth. Lavin did a good job with Norm's guys last year. I don't want a whole team like that. We just need a few guys.

With Jamal Branch we have 7 high quality players next year. Lavin needs to bring in one quality player 6'8 or better and a couple of athletic role players to get to 10 scholarship players. With that depth SJ will play 40 minutes of hell.
The good news is that any player recruited, whether JC or prep, will be better than Malik Stith.

What is the story with Amir Garrett?

Do we know whether he is likely to return from summer baseball? 

There is no reason to believe he won't.

And since he'll be in rookie ball, he'll be back in plenty of time.

A few Norm-style players is fine too. We need depth. Lavin did a good job with Norm's guys last year. I don't want a whole team like that. We just need a few guys.

MCNPA, sounds like you're lowering your expectations.

I agree we only need a few Norm type role players to be competitive, and be a "good" team next season. But a few months ago you had some pretty lofty expectations for us next season.

No Sampson, Gathers, Shepard, or maybe Obekpa would seem to change that no?

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, just saying it seems our ceiling may be a little lower. We've got a ton of talent, but the Final Four talk is going to need to be put on the back burner till we see what comes on board via the '13 and '14 classes. At least in my mind 

I agree we only need a few Norm type role players to be competitive, and be a "good" team next season. But a few months ago you had some pretty lofty expectations for us next season.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, just saying it seems our ceiling may be a little lower. We've got a ton of talent, but the Final Four talk is going to need to be put on the back burner till we see what comes on board via the '13 and '14 classes. At least in my mind 

I've certainly lowered my expectations for this recruiting class. I don't think Jakarr is gone yet, but if he is it is not good. There simply isn't that many guys out there. I actually think that some of these kids are nuts not to want to come here with the PT that can be had, the coaching, Garden etc. I really do. That's their prerogative though. I still think this ass can be good. Maybe we land a Sanchez, Obekpa, Edosomwan, January, Young or any combination. Those are all real good players. By no means is this thing done yet. We've certainly lost a few guys I thought we might land and I hoped we'd land. Gotta just wait it out I guess. Our core is great if they all stay another year which is the most important thing. We still need 4 more guys and I don't know who they are just yet.

I've certainly lowered my expectations for this recruiting class. I don't think Jakarr is gone yet, but if he is it is not good. There simply isn't that many guys out there. I actually think that some of these kids are nuts not to want to come here with the PT that can be had, the coaching, Garden etc. I really do. That's their prerogative though. I still think this ass can be good. Maybe we land a Sanchez, Obekpa, Edosomwan, January, Young or any combination. Those are all real good players. By no means is this thing done yet. We've certainly lost a few guys I thought we might land and I hoped we'd land. Gotta just wait it out I guess. Our core is great if they all stay another year which is the most important thing. We still need 4 more guys and I don't know who they are just yet.

And out of those 4 guys two have to be wide bodies.

All we need is any two of the four players MCNPA mentions above and a two guard who can shoot and we'll be a top 15 team next year. Then with Lavin back the 2013 class will definitely be there.

Speaking of the log jam of minutes at the 3/4 at Kansas they will also get Jamari Traylor back next year. I wonder if he will decide to leave because I doubt he would get much PT there. He was a target of ours and also a teammate of Phil Greene's at IMG. Just throwing it out there but a player like that would be nice  

Wouldn't Traylor have to sit out a year though? If so, then it won't help much as our 2013 class should be fine with Coach back on the bench next year. We just need a couple of tough kids who believe in what we're building here. The best thing we're doing right now is playing well and winning. Things will fall into place. Have faith guys.

Wouldn't Traylor have to sit out a year though? If so, then it won't help much as our 2013 class should be fine with Coach back on the bench next year. We just need a couple of tough kids who believe in what we're building here. The best thing we're doing right now is playing well and winning. Things will fall into place. Have faith guys.

That would be the thing, I'm not sure if he has to sit. He was academically ineligible like but not sure where he is now. He didn't play at all so maybe he can?

Back