Recruiting

I doubt they are ignoring it. Remember, one full time coach is gone for the summer already. Van has been mentioned on the road.

I don’t find it worrisome at all IMO
Didn’t know Mullin was an assistant coach. 🤪 Remind me again who is gone and why.

The Athletic posted a very good article this afternoon entitled "College basketball confidential: Coaches share advice for high school recruits' decision" which quotes 21 head and assistant coaches at all levels of D1 men's basketball about the changing high school recruiting world post N$L and transfer portal.

The article is on a pay site so site rules prohibit me from posting the article. Much of the discussion includes whether it is better for a non-top 50 high school recruit to go to a lower level D1 school in order to get playing time with hopes of transferring to a P5 N$L program or go to the P5 program as a frosh understanding that they will likely sit but perhaps develop skills practicing at the higher level.

The Athletic posted a very good article this afternoon entitled "College basketball confidential: Coaches share advice for high school recruits' decision" which quotes 21 head and assistant coaches at all levels of D1 men's basketball about the changing high school recruiting world post N$L and transfer portal.

The article is on a pay site so site rules prohibit me from posting the article. Much of the discussion includes whether it is better for a non-top 50 high school recruit to go to a lower level D1 school in order to get playing time with hopes of transferring to a P5 N$L program or go to the P5 program as a frosh understanding that they will likely sit but perhaps develop skills practicing at the higher level.

Thanks. College Basketball Confidential is a regular column the Athletic has which goes in depth with whatever topic they are covering. The last one was on NIL (I posted about it on the NIL’s Thread) which was very good.

I doubt they are ignoring it. Remember, one full time coach is gone for the summer already. Van has been mentioned on the road.

I don’t find it worrisome at all IMO
There is only 1 true senior on the present roster so, barring some defections, there aren't many offers to be made. We have no visits lined up nor do we lead with one senior. Pitino seems to enjoy the portal so I would think any offers we have available at season's end will be filled from the portal.

I don’t think there’s ever been a time in college bball history where spending time with your team in the gym is more important than it is right now. Teams are brand new each season. And conversely I don’t think there’s been a time where high school recruiting has been less important.

Doesn’t mean you forget about the high school kids but there are obviously priorities to be made. There is only so much time

I don’t think there’s ever been a time in college bball history where spending time with your team in the gym is more important than it is right now. Teams are brand new each season. And conversely I don’t think there’s been a time where high school recruiting has been less important.

Doesn’t mean you forget about the high school kids but there are obviously priorities to be made. There is only so much time
But you can’t spend whatever time you want with your players or team as NCAA rules are quite restrictive as to time allowed so this has absolutely no affect on the amount of time spent on recruiting. All coaches spend the maximum amount of time that they are allowed with their players and team as it is quite limited.

I think you get a stud top 35 recruit at guard in the next class or two to overlap with Wilcher. Then you get a wing and big man to overlap with Glover and Maker. That’s all we need with a very solid ground of youngsters in the multiple transfer era.

You could also save yourself a ton of recruiting time by just spending a weekend analyzing the play and stats of a freshman that outperformed his high school rank in college.

But you can’t spend whatever time you want with your players or team as NCAA rules are quite restrictive as to time allowed so this has absolutely no affect on the amount of time spent on recruiting. All coaches spend the maximum amount of time that they are allowed with their players and team as it is quite limited.
This is a good point but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as just time on the court. Plus I don’t think anyone is checking these guys with a stopwatch.

There is only 1 true senior on the present roster so, barring some defections, there aren't many offers to be made. We have no visits lined up nor do we lead with one senior. Pitino seems to enjoy the portal so I would think any offers we have available at season's end will be filled from the portal.
Richmond, Scott and Smith are all in their last year of eligibility so there should be at least three spots open next year.

Bingo. He's been in the gym since day 1, as has basically been the entire staff, working hard daily. He said this team is as good as any of his LOUISVILLE teams. This smells more like a top 10 team every day. I sense he knows that.

Last year at maybe late August whenever we had the Novitá party Matt A already had a list of guys he knew would transfer. 79 confirmed it that everyone has an idea of who will definitely transfer

Rick’s window is smaller than a carnesseca arena window. Win now then let the air flow in when I cut a hole in the roof

Richmond, Scott and Smith are all in their last year of eligibility so there should be at least three spots open next year.
This is Richmond's 5th year, he's gone. Only Scott's 4th year, he's back. Smith's story is bizarre.

"If Smith chooses to use his redshirt, he can preserve his remaining two years of eligibility, extended partially due to the COVID-19 eligibility extensions.
Amid all the haze and confusion regarding his eligibility, Smith has been praised for his maturity.
"Just talking to him now, though, oh my goodness, just how mature he's been and how he's handled this stuff," said Craig Smith, "I can't — it'd be hard for me to do that."
The entire story in quite confusing, but gets to his contesting his redshirt ruling at the time. He was told he would not lose his extra year. Here's the entire article, whichis quite cofusing.
That entire first paragraph is taken from the story below, for reference.

This is Richmond's 5th year, he's gone. Only Scott's 4th year, he's back. Smith's story is bizarre.

"If Smith chooses to use his redshirt, he can preserve his remaining two years of eligibility, extended partially due to the COVID-19 eligibility extensions.
Amid all the haze and confusion regarding his eligibility, Smith has been praised for his maturity.
"Just talking to him now, though, oh my goodness, just how mature he's been and how he's handled this stuff," said Craig Smith, "I can't — it'd be hard for me to do that."
The entire story in quite confusing, but gets to his contesting his redshirt ruling at the time. He was told he would not lose his extra year. Here's the entire article, whichis quite cofusing.
That entire first paragraph is taken from the story below, for reference.

Scott does not get the Covid 5th year. His class was the first class to reset back to the original 4 years. You are correct that Smith has another year if he wants it.

Last year at maybe late August whenever we had the Novitá party Matt A already had a list of guys he knew would transfer. 79 confirmed it that everyone has an idea of who will definitely transfer

Rick’s window is smaller than a carnesseca arena window. Win now then let the air flow in when I cut a hole in the roof
Great analogy. Rick's no kid. I'd expect him to field this type team every season in the few years he's got left to coach. Top 20 yearly appearances.

Back