Rafael Pinzon

Reading these posts, I find myself becoming confused. When Pinzon was signed, I looked at him as being a piece in the program that Coach Anderson is building. Some here are judging him on last season, which I believe is unfair. He had an injury, Covid, then long term Covid. How can anyone assess him as a player with all that he had to go through. Y'all do realize that he was a freshman who really needed the practice to acclimate himself to Coach Anderson's system.

Two things that I respect about Pinzon, are his confidence and his commitment to St Johns. Pinzon played a part in convincing Curebelo to transfer to St Johns. This shows that he wants to help St Johns get better and is willing to do whatever it takes. He is confident enough to help recruit another guard knowing that basketball is a team game and you can never have enough good players.

What I find disturbing, is that some "fans" on here appear to be hoping that our players will fail and they can then justify their "HATING" on Coach Anderson. As for myself, I will continue to support St Johns basketball, coaches and players, which I see as my responsibility as a FAN.

Hating on Anderson? What does a critique of Pinzon have to do with hating on Anderson? Thats about as far in left field as one can get unless one has an agenda. If one were "HATING" on coach Anderson, they would be claiming how great Pinzon was and how did Anderson possibly lose with him on the team.

Last edited:
Hating on Anderson? What does a critique of Pinzon have to do with hating on Anderson? Thats about as far in left field as one can get unless one has an agenda. If one were "HATING" on coach Anderson, they would be claiming how great Pinzon was and how did Anderson possibly lose with him on the team.
You seem very defensive for someone whose name wasn't actually mentioned.

Raffy has a chance to be really good. Still needs some seasoning, but 6’6 pgs don’t grow on trees. Looking for a good year in his development.
Exactly the way I feel. Kid did some very nice things on the court but just had a lot of bad luck in year 1, far more than he deserved and could have really helped out in a few games. Having said that I am really looking forward to his progress this season on a deep and talented team. I can see him getting minutes at the 1,2 and 3 and contributing in a host of ways.
Like all of our kids he is someone I will really root hard far, perhaps a little harder as a result of the challenges he faced last season.

In addition to what Panther2 said regarding the young man's missing time due to injury, covid and long term covid, also consider he missed going to summer school and working out with his new teammates as he was fulfilling his commitment to play for Puerto Rico. I look forward to watching his development as the years go by.

Three pages so far about the prospects of a young player (promising to some, unproven to others, and overhyped to a few) has devolved into nonsensical posts. I'll take a sabbatical from the board until October.

Three pages so far about the prospects of a young player (promising to some, unproven to others, and overhyped to a few) has devolved into nonsensical posts. I'll take a sabbatical from the board until October.
Big Red said he has a chance to be really good, without defining what constitutes really good. How is that overhyping ?if comments like those get you so worked up that you need to take a 5 month sabbatical from the board all I can say is have a nice rest and see you in October. I will continue to enjoy posting about my favourite team with a group of mainly level headed fans and hope that we continue to benefit from good news.

Late May - that period between the transfer portal and summer recruiting where page upon page of rabid debate is centered on an injured sophomore's potential.
The Mere mention of Erick Barkley and Malik Sealy on one of these earlier posts gets me thinking of the good old days . Days when homegrown NYC kids like Malik and Erick were as good , if not better than any other players elsewhere in College BB . Malik , of course is legendary player in our history . Erick , having a short Career here was still among the top PG’s that ever played here Why don’t we get more of the top of the tier NYC players anymore ? Probably a lot of reasons . I’m off track here on a Pinzon topic but , let’s hope he has a good year for us . He’s hard to gauge off his hard luck season last year but , he gets great experience playing for Puerto Rico on a International stage . But , maybe , just maybe we may see another Malik or Erick playing for SJU someday soon in the days ahead . By the way , Scoonie Penn Did foul Erick on the last play of the game vs Ohio State back then . Never got the call. Cost us another Final 4 .

The Mere mention of Erick Barkley and Malik Sealy on one of these earlier posts gets me thinking of the good old days . Days when homegrown NYC kids like Malik and Erick were as good , if not better than any other players elsewhere in College BB . Malik , of course is legendary player in our history . Erick , having a short Career here was still among the top PG’s that ever played here Why don’t we get more of the top of the tier NYC players anymore ? Probably a lot of reasons . I’m off track here on a Pinzon topic but , let’s hope he has a good year for us . He’s hard to gauge off his hard luck season last year but , he gets great experience playing for Puerto Rico on a International stage . But , maybe , just maybe we may see another Malik or Erick playing for SJU someday soon in the days ahead . By the way , Scoonie Penn Did foul Erick on the last play of the game vs Ohio State back then . Never got the call. Cost us another Final 4 .
I was at that game. Sat up in the upper tiers of a relatively empty Thompson Bolling arena. The tv footage made it seem packed but it was actually a bit sparse above lower bowl. Not many st. Johns fans. Bitterly disappointing drive back to Atlanta where I was living at time.

I was at that game. Sat up in the upper tiers of a relatively empty Thompson Bolling arena. The tv footage made it seem packed but it was actually a bit sparse above lower bowl. Not many st. Johns fans. Bitterly disappointing drive back to Atlanta where I was living at time.
The Thursday games had a smaller crowd. The Buckeye fans came out of the woodwork for the final.

Back