Rafael Pinzon

In the relatively brief spurts he played last year, although raw, he appeared to me to be on a different planet talent and movement wise than about 75% of the players we encountered. He also seems to have nba-type length for the guard position.

I don't know about this guy. I watched him like everyone else and saw some upside but also saw his lack of foot speed making it difficult for him on defense, and at best he had inconsistent outside shot. Can these areas improve, the shooting can, but Im not sure he has the quickness to be a big contributor to this team. I guess only time will tell.

I don't know about this guy. I watched him like everyone else and saw some upside but also saw his lack of foot speed making it difficult for him on defense, and at best he had inconsistent outside shot. Can these areas improve, the shooting can, but Im not sure he has the quickness to be a big contributor to this team. I guess only time will tell.
He's young and he's putting the effort in to getting better. All you can ask for from the kid. Big things come to those who work for it.

I suspect his actual quickness is masked by how smoothly he moves. DiMaggio vs. Mays.
But it's not masked by his man going right around nor is his strength masked by guys backing him down with ease. Those are his current weaknesses which he can improve upon and don't get me wrong I like him right now as a player overall.

But it's not masked by his man going right around nor is his strength masked by guys backing him down with ease. Those are his current weaknesses which he can improve upon and don't get me wrong I like him right now as a player overall.
oops, meant to edit not quote

Pinzon has the foundations of a really good player. Offensively skilled, multi dimensional and capable of playing several positions. The things he needs to work on have already been stated and there’s no reason to believe he won’t get better on the defensive end. Experience alone will pay serious dividends.

I feel like more of us needed to watch his national team games on TV last year.
Safe to assume you're talking about me? I'll be honest, I no longer watch much of what our kids do till they get here. No games against high school comp, no mixed tapes, no national team games, no nothing. I'm sure he's been impressive in all those games and on mixed tapes. I'm sure so was Orlando Sanchez, just to name one other player who played on a national team and was grossly overhyped by our fan base. All I'm saying is that we are not basing the hype on anything the kid has done here(or coming out of high school), except for a few nice minutes against Indiana. I know he was sick and didn't get a chance to show what he might be capable of. Like everyone else, I hope he turns out to be on the Wooden watch list at mid season. Unlike almost everyone else, I'm expecting that he'll be a bench player(maybe #7 or 8 on depth chart) who can give us 10 minutes +/- of solid D and won't hurt us on offense.

Safe to assume you're talking about me? I'll be honest, I no longer watch much of what our kids do till they get here. No games against high school comp, no mixed tapes, no national team games, no nothing. I'm sure he's been impressive in all those games and on mixed tapes. I'm sure so was Orlando Sanchez, just to name one other player who played on a national team and was grossly overhyped by our fan base. All I'm saying is that we are not basing the hype on anything the kid has done here(or coming out of high school), except for a few nice minutes against Indiana. I know he was sick and didn't get a chance to show what he might be capable of. Like everyone else, I hope he turns out to be on the Wooden watch list at mid season. Unlike almost everyone else, I'm expecting that he'll be a bench player(maybe #7 or 8 on depth chart) who can give us 10 minutes +/- of solid D and won't hurt us on offense.
7Th man sounds about right to me but we know CMA is gonna play the 7th guy a lot more than 10 minutes.

In all my years on this board, there may not be a lower ranked kid(coming out of high school), and who has played just a handful of minutes, who was more over hyped by our fan base then this kid. Utterly ridiculous.
While I won't go as far as Monte on this, I do really like Pinzon and think he will be a solid nice player for us. That being said, I do agree that the hype and expectations of some of the fan base on what he can do now and will do next year should be tempered.

And national team stats are nice, but someone showed some stats where he shot well during a tournament to show he was a good outside shooter, something he is clearly not at this stage as others who have seen him will attest to. Doesn't mean he won't become one. Mark Jackson was not a good outside shooter when he came here, but look at what he did from 3 his senior year.

I know the staff really likes him (I do too) but right now he is still behind Posh, Curbelo, Wusu (who word was the staff really liked to his freshman year) and Mathis on the depth chart even if three of those are in the starting lineup.

Back