Posh and Curbello tandem, is it working?

I could not disagree more about putting Storr at the 2 and it improving us defensively. The last thing I want is him trying to keep quick, shorter guards in front of him. Sorry Jack.

Whitmore is another story. You could play that guy at the 5 and he would be ok.
Storr has been getting killed in the post trying to guard the other teams 3 and 4. It is his strength that isnt there yet, his quickness and agility are his strengths

Storr has been getting killed in the post trying to guard the other teams 3 and 4. It is his strength that isnt there yet, his quickness and agility are his strengths
He has been getting killed in the post. He’s been bad defensively. We’ll have to agree to disagree on his quickness and agility. He is a monster in a straight line and when jumping. Side to side, not so much.

He has been getting killed in the post. He’s been bad defensively. We’ll have to agree to disagree on his quickness and agility. He is a monster in a straight line and when jumping. Side to side, not so much.
I guess I can see your point re-his side to side movement

Admittedly I think I am guilty of trying to force Storr at the 2 as something that could work because I dont want Curbelo in the starting lineup.

Admittedly I think I am guilty of trying to force Storr at the 2 as something that could work because I dont want Curbelo in the starting lineup.
I agree with you that Curbelo coming off the bench might help and I like Curbelo as a player. I want Posh, Mathis, Storr, Jones and Soriano starting. Curbelo, Pinzon, Wusu, and Stanley and Nwiye gives us a ten man group to choose from. I would play Posh and Curbelo together at times to give a different look.

Pinzon or Mathis at the 2. Storr backs up Jones at the 3. Stanley at the 4. Curbelo backs up Posh at the 1.

I agree with you that Curbelo coming off the bench might help and I like Curbelo as a player. I want Posh, Mathis, Storr, Jones and Soriano starting. Curbelo, Pinzon, Wusu, and Stanley and Nwiye gives us a ten man group to choose from. I would play Posh and Curbelo together at times to give a different look.
I like that starting 5 with the caveat that Storr will still need to prove that he's deserving of starter minutes. Also I think Stanley needs to get a lot more PT, unless he proves he doesn't deserve them, at the PF spot. Since he's the only other skilled big we have, and we'll need someone to share the load with Soriano now that conference play is starting. I also wouldn't be adverse to Stanley starting, and moving Jones to the 3. Unlike many on here, I'm not sold on Nyiwe as anything more than a few MPG player. The more I look at this team, the more I think that we have a lot of good parts, but not a lot of parts that compliment each other. Bottom line to me, CMA is going to have to take some risks with Pinzon, Storr and Stanley if we're going to have a successful season.

I think that Curbelo doesn't take these "Sister Mary's of the Poor" games serious. He just street balls it to get on the highlight reel. I think once the real season starts he'll limit the turnovers and try harder. This is the problem with not scheduling real teams. It is almost Christmas and we have no idea what is the team's identity. Storr can prove more effective as a microwave of the bench and back up one of the guard positions.

Talentwise Curbelo is one of the top on the team we have ZERO clue what will happen against real comp as he is a streetballer at heart.

This is fixable by making AJ Storr our starting 2 guard for the rest of the season
How about putting Mathis at the two, Storr at the three, Jones 4, Soriano 5? In terms. of the one, thats debatable. I know you don't like Curbelo but offensively he's more productive then Posh, but Posh more defensive minded and not a head case. I just don't like them together and the bigger guards will back our PGs down in the paint.

I like that starting 5 with the caveat that Storr will still need to prove that he's deserving of starter minutes. Also I think Stanley needs to get a lot more PT, unless he proves he doesn't deserve them, at the PF spot. Since he's the only other skilled big we have, and we'll need someone to share the load with Soriano now that conference play is starting. I also wouldn't be adverse to Stanley starting, and moving Jones to the 3. Unlike many on here, I'm not sold on Nyiwe as anything more than a few MPG player. The more I look at this team, the more I think that we have a lot of good parts, but not a lot of parts that compliment each other. Bottom line to me, CMA is going to have to take some risks with Pinzon, Storr and Stanley if we're going to have a successful season.
I agree with you about Nwiye.

Defense thing with Storr is just people using a rationale to justify a coach they have blind faith in playing less talented guys over him. Team can’t shoot. He can end of story. Pinzon not as talented, doesn’t play D and is actually lazy and was playing over him.

AJ will catch up on defense faster if he plays more and gets more experience in the system. Right now we need his length, athleticism and shooting ability.
I’m not convinced he’s a much better shooter than Wusu based on his release and what I’ve seen so far. Law of averages says Storr’s numbers will go down and Wusu’s will go up. We’ll see.

I won't get into who gets what minutes, other than to say Storr should get more. We need his offense.

As for the point of this thread, I think that the Andre/Posh thing is not working (maybe it will better), and Posh is our guy. He showed for 2 years he has the heart of a lion and plays defense as if his hair is on fire. And, he is a better offensive player when not shooting 3s. So, I would start him at the point and he should get more minutes there.

Curbelo reminds me a little of Kevin Willaims, who was the perfect change guy off the bench with instant offense and change of pace. To me, he's too reckless with the ball to be the main point guard. He can make the spectacular play, but he and Posh should play less together, and when they do, Posh should handle.

I’m not convinced he’s a much better shooter than Wusu based on his release and what I’ve seen so far. Law of averages says Storr’s numbers will go down and Wusu’s will go up. We’ll see.
Wow
Wusu shoots set shot push thing that looks horrible
He shot a line drive off the dribble that could have hurt someone last game.
He should just stay on defense when plays

Storr's release is funny, and the ball is slightly screw-balling when in the air. That said, his shot selection has been generally good on 3's. He typically only takes them when he's wide open and set with his feet. That's very good. If he can fix his release he could be an awesome shooter. It's suprising that someone hasn't forced him to re-work his release. Hardly any good shooters have screw-ball rotations on the ball like he does (Shawn Marion comes to mind, as an exception, maybe about 15 years ago)

It keeps us from having no length at the guard position in big east play.

Storr is still figuring things out on the defensive end but I will take his frame and athleticism at the 2 over Posh and Curbelo especially against teams like Nova who are just stocked with these long and athletic wings (especially with Whitmore back, damn that guy is physically imposing).

I think it just makes more sense to have Posh and Curbelo take turns playing the 1, as we have Storr/Pinzon/Mathis/Wusu etc hold down our wings positions for defense.

I know this is not gonna happen but is it what I would want

And I think it gives Posh a purpose on offense again and could unlock Storr who I think is clearly our most gifted scorer in terms of raw talent
Disagree ! An under control duo of Posh and Curbelo is CMA dream in my opinion. If they cut down turnovers, no need to have this conversation. Less turnovers = more baskets for us less for opponents. Do agree that we need more of Storr but as of now he’s only a situational player.

Storr's release is funny, and the ball is slightly screw-balling when in the air. That said, his shot selection has been generally good on 3's. He typically only takes them when he's wide open and set with his feet. That's very good. If he can fix his release he could be an awesome shooter. It's suprising that someone hasn't forced him to re-work his release. Hardly any good shooters have screw-ball rotations on the ball like he does (Shawn Marion comes to mind, as an exception, maybe about 15 years ago)
Tug McGraw as well :)

Back