Posh and Curbello tandem, is it working?

They'll eventually mesh offensively but the defensive havoc they cause is worth the wait on offensive.

Who's minutes are Pinzon gonna take? He's gonna need to prove it in a game when someone gets in foul trouble.

Defensively yes, offensively no. Something isn't clicking for Posh on the offensive end of the court.
last year we were awful in the half court set. a couple of games back we had a 20pt first half. I think both the O anD getting better. If posh is a bit off from what your seeing mike and posh will work on it, and it will get fixed. Maybe the work thats getting done on the baseline calls for posh to be elsewhere. I thought Omar could have gottin more minutes but mike might have thought syr zone was not for him.

I like the combo. What I don't like is when we play small ball and they are on the court at the same time as Wusu. That lineup is too small and doesn't have enough shooting.

Against lowly New Hampshire Posh and Curbelo combined for 2 for 17 shooting. We will need more scoring out of the 2 guard position in the Big East to survive.

Against lowly New Hampshire Posh and Curbelo combined for 2 for 17 shooting. We will need more scoring out of the 2 guard position in the Big East to survive.
11-22 against DePaul, Posh and Belo are providing the defensive pressure that coach wants and it’s led to 10-1 record so far. I think CMA tolerates the mistakes because they create extra possessions by forcing TO’s. That style has its flaws but I actually like having a team with a clear identity. The goal is to get into transition not play in a half court offense. Some games the press won’t be as effective and there will be some loses but most teams will have a tough time. Our guys play hard and don’t get tired. If some outside shooting emerges outside of Mathis (Pinzon/Wusu/Storr) that will open up the half court offense, but it’s not what this team is built on.

Last edited:
11-22 against DePaul, Posh and Belo are providing the defensive pressure that coach wants and it’s led to 10-1 record so far. I think CMA tolerates the mistakes because they create extra possessions by forcing TO’s. That style has its flaws but I actually like having a team with a clear identity. The goal is to get into transition not play in a half court offense. Some games the press won’t be as effective and there will be some loses but most teams will have a tough time. Our guys play hard and don’t get tired. If some outside shooting emerges outside of Mathis (Pinzon/Wusu/Storr) that will open up the half court offense, but it’s not what this team is built on.

Well said Dan

Playing cupcakes has lead to a 10-1 record so far, not much else. Having said that, as the season progresses I hope that Posh and Curbelo learn to play well together. Posh did play very well with Dunn, who he deferred to. As for the pressure D, I haven't seen much it so far. My big concern is that since we're not very tall, especially in the back court, the better teams will have no problem going over our press. Time will tell.

He is going to help us at times this year and he already has. But I do not like Curbelo and think he should be 6th man but I feel like if he was he would quit on the team

He has a cockiness to him that is infuriating to watch. He has done nothing of note in a St John's uniform other than have a good game against Syracuse. He walks around like owns the place. It is quite annoying

Good point about the height on defense. We don’t have the length to be that effective and the better teams (not cupcakes) will expose us. Best to try and play tough man to man and energy exerted on the press should help our legs on offense and hopefully translate into better movement on offense and better shot selection.

Good point about the height on defense. We don’t have the length to be that effective and the better teams (not cupcakes) will expose us. Best to try and play tough man to man and energy exerted on the press should help our legs on offense and hopefully translate into better movement on offense and better shot selection.
This is fixable by making AJ Storr our starting 2 guard for the rest of the season

Offense is one thing. I do not get the defensive comments.

Vs us, the starting backcourt for Nebrask, Temple, cuse, Iowa’s state and DePaul have shot a combined:
- 25-68 from the field (36.7%)
- 6-29 from 3 (21%).
Aside from that Posh and curbelo are combining for 4.1 steals.

That fixes our defense?
It keeps us from having no length at the guard position in big east play.

Storr is still figuring things out on the defensive end but I will take his frame and athleticism at the 2 over Posh and Curbelo especially against teams like Nova who are just stocked with these long and athletic wings (especially with Whitmore back, damn that guy is physically imposing).

I think it just makes more sense to have Posh and Curbelo take turns playing the 1, as we have Storr/Pinzon/Mathis/Wusu etc hold down our wings positions for defense.

I know this is not gonna happen but is it what I would want

And I think it gives Posh a purpose on offense again and could unlock Storr who I think is clearly our most gifted scorer in terms of raw talent

It keeps us from having no length at the guard position in big east play.

Storr is still figuring things out on the defensive end but I will take his frame and athleticism at the 2 over Posh and Curbelo especially against teams like Nova who are just stocked with these long and athletic wings (especially with Whitmore back, damn that guy is physically imposing).

I think it just makes more sense to have Posh and Curbelo take turns playing the 1, as we have Storr/Pinzon/Mathis/Wusu etc hold down our wings positions for defense.

I know this is not gonna happen but is it what I would want
I could not disagree more about putting Storr at the 2 and it improving us defensively. The last thing I want is him trying to keep quick, shorter guards in front of him. Sorry Jack.

Whitmore is another story. You could play that guy at the 5 and he would be ok.

Back