Podcasts and Videos ……

I know it's not a sexy topic for the podcast but it's just really important right now and a reality that if we want to keep bringing in players this is one of the major crutches Pitino and his staff will be using, both Storm Marketing and Flat Top.

That being said I'll be at Media Day next week and will have an episode about that and watching practice.

By now I’m sure you have heard about NIL, and hopefully you’ve realized it’s the way of life in college sports, and isn’t going anywhere. It’s a fact that to get a great roster these days you need a few things starting with the head coach and a strong NIL collective. Storm Marketing is a big reason why this off-season Rick Pitino was able to bring in the type of players he did.

I’m joined by founder of Storm Marketing Vin Ochani to discuss what his collective has been doing lately to help, educate some more on NIL for those that are still on the fence, and explain why the fans are needed now more than ever to help create a sustainable model of success for Rick Pitino and St. John’s basketball moving forward after this year.

Dave good work and thanks for the podcast. Could you have someone on to get a bit more into the numbers? This was great, but super high level from storm marketing. I think if they want to improve NIL, folks want to have a sense of whats actually going on (e.g., where they are on fundraising goals, how much they project to need next year, what the average deal is now, etc.).

People will be much more motivated to donate if they know what's needed and where their money is going versus just hoping for the best--I'm certainly in that boat since I'm a subscriber but would be open to increasing if I knew what was needed and where they are now. For example, if they could say, "hey we need to raise another 300k for this year to meet our obligations or, if we could raise $###k by june, we'd be able to extend a deal to another top transfer, etc." I think it would really motivate potential donors.

Dave good work and thanks for the podcast. Could you have someone on to get a bit more into the numbers? This was great, but super high level from storm marketing. I think if they want to improve NIL, folks want to have a sense of whats actually going on (e.g., where they are on fundraising goals, how much they project to need next year, what the average deal is now, etc.).

People will be much more motivated to donate if they know what's needed and where their money is going versus just hoping for the best--I'm certainly in that boat since I'm a subscriber but would be open to increasing if I knew what was needed and where they are now. For example, if they could say, "hey we need to raise another 300k for this year to meet our obligations or, if we could raise $###k by june, we'd be able to extend a deal to another top transfer, etc." I think it would really motivate potential donors.
Hardy, first let me say thank you for listening and I'm happy you're a SM subscriber. From what I understand, giving specifics on projections, or how much a player makes on a NIL deal, or anything to do with concrete numbers is quite sensitive information and at times is protected under attorney/client privilege.

I also think that if lets say SM said our fundraising goal is 1 million for the fiscal year, it wouldn't change the business model or them opening their arms to any and every type of subscriber from $9.99 a month to $10,000.

I definitely understand where you're coming from with looking for goals and what's needed for the future. Right now those numbers are fairly hypothetical but are quite sizable as you can imagine. One of our main goals from this episode was to dispel the notion that SJU's NIL situation is perfect and that a blank check will come from a Repole or anyone at the snap of a finger, very far from true. As Vin said it takes a village, and it may be annoying to hear, but it's the harsh reality right now.

Also, I will say, if you want more specifics that's definitely something you can reach out to Vin or the Storm Marketing team and they could give you some more insights personally, perhaps not on an open forum or on a podcast as some things are just not for public. If you want shoot me a DM I'll make it happen.

By now I’m sure you have heard about NIL, and hopefully you’ve realized it’s the way of life in college sports, and isn’t going anywhere. It’s a fact that to get a great roster these days you need a few things starting with the head coach and a strong NIL collective. Storm Marketing is a big reason why this off-season Rick Pitino was able to bring in the type of players he did.

I’m joined by founder of Storm Marketing Vin Ochani to discuss what his collective has been doing lately to help, educate some more on NIL for those that are still on the fence, and explain why the fans are needed now more than ever to help create a sustainable model of success for Rick Pitino and St. John’s basketball moving forward after this year.

I'm going tomorrow to the storm event. Any other posters making the trip?

Rick Pitino and the Johnnies are very much looking forward to playing Rutgers, Simeon Wilcher welcomes the growing pains, how a new jumper and tears in 7th grade led Brady Dunlap to today and so much more from St. John's Media Day. Here's my recap from today, my interactions with coach, the players, watching practice and everything in between.

Rick Pitino and the Johnnies are very much looking forward to playing Rutgers, Simeon Wilcher welcomes the growing pains, how a new jumper and tears in 7th grade led Brady Dunlap to today and so much more from St. John's Media Day. Here's my recap from today, my interactions with coach, the players, watching practice and everything in between.

As usual, very well done. Thanks!

1. Dave’s above “Eye On the Storm” podcast is very good. It is worth the listen.

2. Below is a link to CBS Sports Podcast “Eye on College Basketball” wherein the moderators forecast the upcoming Big East season.

Recap of the Rutgers scrimmage. Excuse my voice, I tried to get it back to normal with tea and water but even though I recorded about 4 hours after the game ended my voice was still shot from yelling. Also the original plan was to have someone on with me but scheduling didn’t work out so apologize it’s just me.

Two things. - the Dave Berov podcasts are amazingly good, professionally done with great questions!!

The Sean Evans interview is interesting. My impression is that his recollection of Lavin's first year and getting thrown out of practice for nothing is just his perception of him and dj being blameless.

Both recruited by Norm and both enjoying favored roles under Norm, they were likely outwardly very pissed and creating toxic undercurrent of Lavin's assessment of players and their roles.

Evans wasn't a groundbreaking big man in my opinion, bringing the ball up, he was an undisciplined player flying up court out of control. Kennedy was the man under Roberts offensively, but on Lavins better team was a third option after Hardy and Brownlee. Evans sat because he deserved to sit, just as Hardy deserved to play over Boothe. Still, it was a great interview and Sean has done great and told great stories, especially with sju teammates overseas and playing in the Ukraine during a war.

Finally I am in the rising storm video clips of sju fans storming the court. For those who know me, three Garden beers for the first person to identify me in the decades old clip.
Okay haven’t watched the interview yet but now definitely will.

Back