Philadelphia

Happy

I asked a couple of people off the board and got some great suggestions.. Figured I would ask everybody.. Taking a trip in 2 weeks to Philly.. Main reason is for Cheesesteaks etc.. I was in Philly awhile ago and remembered that the area around Geno's and Pat's was a little sketchy.. Any suggestions where to stay hotel wise that is near shopping and bars? I was told center city is a 10 minute cab ride to Geno's .. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

I don't travel down there much but Old City is a really cool area with tons of small shops and pubs. Nice area to spend time at.

Area around Pat and Geno's is fine. Gone there many many times. Passyunk Ave meets 611 and their is a subway north to Center City or bus.  More dangerous in West Philly.

I don't travel down there much but Old City is a really cool area with tons of small shops and pubs. Nice area to spend time at.

Really miss my Philly days.
Always stayed at the Marriott (premier member) and can testify it's close to everything.
No car needed.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions . I'm just looking for a nice balance of nightlife and a nice hotel . So many to choose from .. But I will most certainly be hitting the Reading market for this pork and broccoli rabe sandwich that everyone raves about ( people in Philly prefer it to the cheesesteak). Thanks again everyone :)

Stay in Center City.

Stay away from Cheerleaders

Thanks man. I'm going to stay in center city. Was told its a 10 minute can ride to geno's and a short walk to reading terminal market.

Stay in Center City.

Stay away from Cheerleaders

Thanks man. I'm going to stay in center city. Was told its a 10 minute can ride to geno's and a short walk to reading terminal market.

I have lived in the Philly burbs for 13 years or so. I'm no expert, but center city is the way to go. Any of the hotels are fine. Marriott, courtyard by marriiott, lowes, etc. priceline always has good rates as well. All the history stuff including the newer constitution center is great. Also, make sure to check out the rittenhouse square area. Max chocolate factory in that area is a great place for food and dessert. Dont worry about what sports stuff you ware here. It is a huge city with guests from all over the world. I see NYY, NYM. BOS, Giants, dallas stuff all the time. Have fun. 

Go to Ralphs Italian Restaurant on 9th street in the Italian Market section. It's about 4 blocks up from Geno's and Pat's. It's the oldest family owned Italian restaurant in the country and the food in excellent. It's been open since like 1900. I'm actually going there tomorrow. Philly is about an hour and five minutes from where I live in Jersey.

Go to Ralphs Italian Restaurant on 9th street in the Italian Market section. It's about 4 blocks up from Geno's and Pat's. It's the oldest family owned Italian restaurant in the country and the food in excellent. It's been open since like 1900. I'm actually going there tomorrow. Philly is about an hour and five minutes from where I live in Jersey.

Bring cash if you go. I don't think they take cc.

Bring cash if you go. I don't think they take cc.

Just like most places on Arthur Avenue. :)

In my opinion Gino's and Pat's are tourist traps. The "locals" go elsewhere for cheesesteaks.

A friend's son who went to St. Joe's (the other "SJU") claimed that there was a cheesesteak place a short distance frOm SJU where he regularly saw members of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Pat's and Geno's are overrated. Geno's was/is run by a racist. Unless you want to go just to say you went, don't bother. Try Jim's Steaks on South and 4th...the line might be around the block but it moves fast enough. I also like Tony Luke's on Oregon. There isn't too much around there and you might not be comfortable in South Philly...but no worries, the area is safe. The two best places for Roast pork are DiNic's in the Reading Terminal (I can not recommend this enough) and John's Roast Pork in Southeast Philly. John's has short hours on Saturday and its closed on Sundays. 

I say go to all 4 of those mentioned Cheesesteak places and order 1 at each and split it with your girlfriend so in essence you are only eating 2 and then see which one is best 

Back