Phil Greene, Phil Greene, Phil Greene.............

Greene should get better and better facing Branch everyday in practice. Branch has the reputation of a lock down defender at the PG spot

Agreed.....also since we don't have the players to beat the zone the coaching staff tried a new strategy by ball screening for PG. Once he got by the guards he had an angle to the basket and the low post players could not keep up with him. He is uncanny around the rim.

Greene should get better and better facing Branch everyday in practice. Branch has the reputation of a lock down defender at the PG spot

Agreed.....also since we don't have the players to beat the zone the coaching staff tried a new strategy by ball screening for PG. Once he got by the guards he had an angle to the basket and the low post players could not keep up with him. He is uncanny around the rim.

Billthe/sookjo etc.
I have not read anything on these posts since before the WV game - earlyier this year I have posted my concern - that I was not sure we would win ANY more games - and of course to my pleasure we handled West Virginia quite well!

Maybe I'm trying to protect myself from disappointment by expecting very little, BUT I still take this season as "fun to watch young talented kids" and focus on out bright future and the W-L record is not significant.

AFter last night, I guess I will be pleasantly surprised by a win now and then. I was glad to see we play DePaul/Rutgers/Seton Hall and might have a few other Ws in store on our schedule.

all the best 

PS as with others I am so pleased seeing Green and Garrett develop! And glad to See Lavin in the Garden!

One thing Greene has going for him is his uniqueness. He seems like a handful to defend off the dribble because his movements with the ball are not conventional. Can't quite find an example of who he reminds me of. Guess that's where the unique part comes in. His game is best suited to the open court, meaning he is not a long term point guard answer, and fortunately doesn't have to be. His outside shooting is still suspect and needs work.

His shot is suspect but remember the first game of the season (OR SECOND) with Lindsay running the point he hit a bunch of threes so much so that he looked like a ligit outside threat. I would love to see Deangelo running the point leaving Phil to be the off guard. Perhaps he would rediscover that stroke. If the ball was to be distributed by Harrison i would think we would limit the 35 second violations to a minimum. 

Greene did a great job attacking the rim late 2nd half--- exactly what STJ stopped doing against Nova w/ the 10 point lead.  
 He has enough confidence in his handle to keep dribble alive. Picking it up gets guys in trouble.

During my week on campus in early August when my kids went to Lavin's camp we had time to spend with Dlo, GG, Phil, Sir Dom, Malik and Nuri and they all said the player that will surprise this season is Phil Greene.
Remember Lawmanfan told you so.  

Greene did a great job attacking the rim late 2nd half--- exactly what STJ stopped doing against Nova w/ the 10 point lead.  

Exactly. . . we got passive and it cost us the game. . .last night it looked like we might fall back into the trap but we snapped out and made a bucket or two that took the wind out of WV's sails. . .

facing a predominantly (if not exclusively) man defense helped as well. . . two best performances were against teams that played a lot of man. . .that's Duke style as well so hopefully we can represent ourselves well

One thing Greene has going for him is his uniqueness. He seems like a handful to defend off the dribble because his movements with the ball are not conventional. Can't quite find an example of who he reminds me of. Guess that's where the unique part comes in. His game is best suited to the open court, meaning he is not a long term point guard answer, and fortunately doesn't have to be. His outside shooting is still suspect and needs work.

Lavin said it earlier and I concur...he has Rondo written all over him, especially that finger-roll layup off glass.

He certainly has an unorthodox style for a PG. To his credit he has turned that into a positive. Blow by speed by a one handed converted 2G, with a pull up, has a lot of defenders scratching their heads. :cheer:

I predicted PG's coming out party a few weeks back against Prov i think.. :whistle: ... regardless, glad to see he has FINALLY joined the party. The "H & H" crew can use a little help out there fellas!!

Since Branch has come aboard, it seems like Greene has improved drastically. Coincidence? Maybe.
Let's not get all over this kid if he has a few bad games. He's extremely athletic, he can penetrate, he can shoot better than he's shown, he D's up like few other freshman, and he's TOUGH.

We have three very good guards next year, and it doesn't really matter who starts...they will all be playing major minutes. Greene's ceiling is absurdly high.

Since Branch has come aboard, it seems like Greene has improved drastically. Coincidence? Maybe.
Let's not get all over this kid if he has a few bad games. He's extremely athletic, he can penetrate, he can shoot better than he's shown, he D's up like few other freshman, and he's TOUGH.

We have three very good guards next year, and it doesn't really matter who starts...they will all be playing major minutes. Greene's ceiling is absurdly high.

Could not agree more Marillac. We are another big man away from being dynamite next season.

Could not agree more Marillac. We are another big man away from being dynamite next season.

Amen gents... love this kids game & potential. Bring in another big, add a guard & sky's the limit for this bunch!! :fight:

Amen gents... love this kids game & potential. Bring in another big, add a guard & sky's the limit for this bunch!! :fight:

He has such tremendous speed while dribbling the ball and he is still playing under control.

He sees an opening and in a flash he is through it opening a shot or a productive dish-off. He opens up so many possibilities for us.

He really is good stuff, plus he's a four year deal.

Green has been fantastic breaking the press in the last few games. He can split the defenders off the dibble extremely well. His passing has improved, but there are still some times where I think he struggles to see harrison open on the perimeter after he is able to penetrate.

I agree that Branch's inclusion is already starting to pay dividends. Phil has just elevated his game the last week an a half and by his senior year will be one of the best in the conference. He has good size and I think this PG roll will really help him come graduation. Maybe a team picks him due to his ability to pick up some PG slack.

In terms of Phil Greene, all you have to do is compare him to Stith, who arguably is close in ability to Boothe. Greene is such a big upgrade over either that he will be a valuable part of this team during his entire SJU tenure, whether he starts or not. He has good court vision, and is a slasher who can turn on the jets when he sees an opening. He may not be a true point, but he is already a better point than Hardy was yn as a senior - and we know Hardy is not a point, he simply took it on. I like Greene, and think any criticisms of him to date are more related to the adjustment that any freshmen must make to D1 ball, not because of a lack of ability. 

Could be wrong but I see Phil improving greatly and by his Jr yr would not be surprised if he becomes one of the better guards in the country.

ESPN has been espousing he looks alot like Rondo of the Celtics.

Back