Phil Greene, Phil Greene, Phil Greene.............

At the end of the game when WV started to make run, it was Mr. Greene who took control of the game, made key baskets and did a great overall job. while not being the teams high scorer, he gets my vote (with 10 assists) for player of the game. Congrats Phil, you were simply MARVELOUS. :)

Damn Realfan has gone soft like Carvel. Usually you'd be knocking someone right now.

But I agree with you today. Phil was excellent. Kept the ball moving and did a good job penetrating 

Lindsey quit the St.John's team when it became apparant that he lack the ability to be a star in the BEast (he has no outside shot & poor defense) but also because he understood that his time as St. John's starting guard was about end because Phil Green was flat out better than he is.

Lindsey quit the St.John's team when it became apparant that he lack the ability to be a star in the BEast (he has no outside shot & poor defense) but also because he understood that his time as St. John's starting guard was about end because Phil Green was flat out better than he is.

Geez why don't you give the Lindsey thing a break; the last time I looked he is not on the team anymore. And while Greene had an outstanding game yesterday and we all hope that is the turnaround for him he has certainly had his growing pains so I don't think his prescense had ANY effect on Lindsey leaving the team.

Geez why don't you give the Lindsey thing a break; the last time I looked he is not on the team anymore. And while Greene had an outstanding game yesterday and we all hope that is the turnaround for him he has certainly had his growing pains so I don't think his prescense had ANY effect on Lindsey leaving the team.

Totally agree with this. Not Greene biggest fan but he really played a smart game last night. Wish we had a full compliment of players because i really think Greene, Pointer and Amir would be perfect off the bench. Those three can really pick up the pace and bring some energy off the bench. Glad they are on our side and not anyone else's.

In terms of Phil Greene, all you have to do is compare him to Stith, who arguably is close in ability to Boothe. Greene is such a big upgrade over either that he will be a valuable part of this team during his entire SJU tenure, whether he starts or not. He has good court vision, and is a slasher who can turn on the jets when he sees an opening. He may not be a true point, but he is already a better point than Hardy was as a senior - and we know Hardy is not a point, he simply took it on. I like Greene, and think any criticisms of him to date are more related to the adjustment that any freshmen must make to D1 ball, not because of a lack of ability. 

Greene did a great job attacking the rim late 2nd half--- exactly what STJ stopped doing against Nova w/ the 10 point lead.  

Missed the game last night (hate it when work gets in the way of the real priorities). Watching the second half on ESPN the announcers said that Dunlap has been looking for a way to get Greene more invloved. Niice job coach!

Bobre's been calling for Greene to step up for a while now, but quite honestly I was starting to wonder about the guy -- glad I was wrong.  >-)

Totally agree with this. Not Greene biggest fan but he really played a smart game last night. Wish we had a full compliment of players because i really think Greene, Pointer and Amir would be perfect off the bench. Those three can really pick up the pace and bring some energy off the bench. Glad they are on our side and not anyone else's.

Speaking of Pointer, he had a huge block from behind and scored on the fly at the other end to blow open the lead to 22 points at the 10-minute mark of the second half. Big play. [Note: I originally wrote that Pointer made the big block near the 2-minute mark in the game, when West Virginia had cut the score to 9, but after looking at the today's rerun on ESPNU, I saw that it was Gift's block, which also led to a quick -- and very important -- basket. I had also forgotten just how terrific Harrison's three-the-old-fashioned-way play was.]

Greene should get better and better facing Branch everyday in practice. Branch has the reputation of a lock down defender at the PG spot

Greene should get better and better facing Branch everyday in practice. Branch has the reputation of a lock down defender at the PG spot

Coach Keady reported exactly that last night pre-game. They love Branch, they think he is making Phil much better from practice. They also expect Branch to start at the point next year, which I assume will make Phil the third guard, which is fine since he can play both spots.

As I've posted before, Phil's problem was that when Nuri left Phil was trying too hard to be the anti-Nuri, by which I mean he passed the ball way too much and didn't shoot enough. Given the lack of perimeter offense, that hurt the team since he needed to be more of a scoring threat. In the second half of the Nova game he finally started to keep the ball on the drive and look for his opportunities more, and that carried over to WVU. The difference that made in the offense was clear.

WVU shooting 2/10 from 3 in the first half was a big help also.

:cheer:

Speaking of Pointer, he had a huge block from behind and scored on the fly at the other end to blow open the lead to 22 points at the 10-minute mark of the second half. Big play. [Note: I originally wrote that Pointer made the big block near the 2-minute mark in the game, when West Virginia had cut the score to 9, but after looking at the today's rerun on ESPNU, I saw that it was Gift's block, which also led to a quick -- and very important -- basket. I had also forgotten just how terrific Harrison's three-the-old-fashioned-way play was.]

:cheer: Another charge taken by Achiewa. Anyone have a count?

Coach Keady reported exactly that last night pre-game. They love Branch, they think he is making Phil much better from practice. They also expect Branch to start at the point next year, which I assume will make Phil the third guard, which is fine since he can play both spots.

As I've posted before, Phil's problem was that when Nuri left Phil was trying too hard to be the anti-Nuri, by which I mean he passed the ball way too much and didn't shoot enough. Given the lack of perimeter offense, that hurt the team since he needed to be more of a scoring threat. In the second half of the Nova game he finally started to keep the ball on the drive and look for his opportunities more, and that carried over to WVU. The difference that made in the offense was clear.

WVU shooting 2/10 from 3 in the first half was a big help also.

Greene will be fantastic as the third guard. It's no knock on him. I just think Branch is the better PG talent and nobody is unseating D'Angelo any time soon.

In terms of Phil Greene, all you have to do is compare him to Stith, who arguably is close in ability to Boothe. Greene is such a big upgrade over either that he will be a valuable part of this team during his entire SJU tenure, whether he starts or not. He has good court vision, and is a slasher who can turn on the jets when he sees an opening. He may not be a true point, but he is already a better point than Hardy was as a senior - and we know Hardy is not a point, he simply took it on. I like Greene, and think any criticisms of him to date are more related to the adjustment that any freshmen must make to D1 ball, not because of a lack of ability. 

I'm with you. I think this guy will surprise a lot of people over the next three years.

Every year, we see some junior or senior on other teams and lament that we haven't groomed a point guard. Well, we've got a guy who had good skills and vision and should mature nicely.

:cheer:

:cheer: Another charge taken by Achiewa. Anyone have a count?

Just count the bruises on guys who have run into him. The guy is a rock.

Back