Penn State Jerry Sandusky Scandal

Based upon the facts that have come out to date, I find it difficult to blame Paterno. He reported it and no action was taken by his superiors against Sandusky. I would imagine that he also sat down and discussed it with Sandusky, a guy he knew for 33 years, and he denied it. At that point, he certainly didn't want to believe it, and was probably satisfied, against that backdrop, that it had been fully investigated. If he ends up getting fired, I guess I can certainly understand it, but before we put the blame on Paterno, let's see what all the facts are. In any event, the whole saga is just extremely sad.

If Sandusky denied it, how then does Paterno not get he and McQueary in a room and ask which one was lying? If he believed Sandusky, how then was McQueary on Paterno's staff? The whole thing stinks and everyone involved will have the odor on them forever. Not one person gave a damn about the kid raped and the ones who were going to be raped; disgraceful. As for facts, you don't be "probably satisfied" in a matter of such import, you be damned certain. I'm sorry, I have admired and rooted for Paterno all my life but he there is no defense for him being anything but up front, aggressive and involved to the max in this and he was not.

Some very good points, and troubling questions that remain to be answered. He probably should have done more, but I am waiting for the facts to come out before I pass judgment on him. Either way, I believe that he will be gone very soon, and certainly the University cannot be blamed if it chooses to clean house quickly. 

How to solve the Penn State problem:

- School President Graham Spanier needs to be fired ASAP (hopefully by Friday)
- Joe Pa, needs to resign by Friday
- Tom Bradley, serves as interim coach till the end of bowl season
- All proceeds go to a fund set up for the victim families
- Look at hiring Al Golden or Urban Meyer next year

Next Year or in two years have a day at Beaver Stadium to honor Joe Paterno (for the mostly positive things he does)

Jumbo your thoughts. 

Based upon the facts that have come out to date, I find it difficult to blame Paterno. He reported it and no action was taken by his superiors against Sandusky. I would imagine that he also sat down and discussed it with Sandusky, a guy he knew for 33 years, and he denied it. At that point, he certainly didn't want to believe it, and was probably satisfied, against that backdrop, that it had been fully investigated. If he ends up getting fired, I guess I can certainly understand it, but before we put the blame on Paterno, let's see what all the facts are. In any event, the whole saga is just extremely sad.

If Sandusky denied it, how then does Paterno not get he and McQueary in a room and ask which one was lying? If he believed Sandusky, how then was McQueary on Paterno's staff? The whole thing stinks and everyone involved will have the odor on them forever. Not one person gave a damn about the kid raped and the ones who were going to be raped; disgraceful. As for facts, you don't be "probably satisfied" in a matter of such import, you be damned certain. I'm sorry, I have admired and rooted for Paterno all my life but he there is no defense for him being anything but up front, aggressive and involved to the max in this and he was not.

Some very good points, and troubling questions that remain to be answered. He probably should have done more, but I am waiting for the facts to come out before I pass judgment on him. Either way, I believe that he will be gone very soon, and certainly the University cannot be blamed if it chooses to clean house quickly. 

I hear you but the only way I see Paterno being clean is if Sandusky didn't do this which seems unbelievably far fetched right now. He obviously deserves his day in court but there would have to be a whole lot of people lying and colluding (the 8 kids and McQueary made this up) for that to be true.

Next Year or in two years have a day at Beaver Stadium to honor Joe Paterno (for the mostly positive things he does)

Jumbo your thoughts. 

That would be the equivalent of honoring Cardinal Law.
Pedophilia is the worst of crimes.
Having been Catholic, our family has been through hell dealing with this.
The only people who should be honored here are the victims.

This is truly a disgusting story. No one except the kids are innocent here.
Sandusky should have been banned from campus back in 98. Kim Jones(alum of PS) said on WFAN that he always had kids with him. He was like a childlike figure....that is scary
Joe Pa should have fired him immediately and not waited a year to force him out.
Its a sin of ommission with everyone hiding behind "the I reported this up the ladder defense"....
The assistant who saw it should have raised the red flags everywhere.
Question,what would you do if you saw this bum doing this to a kid? Just report it and do nothing else? How would you sleep at night. 
Also Joe Pa knew and let this guy roam the campus and even bring a kid with him to a closed practicein '07.....just terrible.
He will be fired too
They will wipe out the whole group
God help the kids who have to relive this nightmare as these clowns bring in the high powered lawyers to place the blame elsewhere 

All proceeds go to a fund set up for the victim families
This is a bad idea for many reasons.

Beaver Stadium might not be the best choice, considering the circumstances.

Jumbo your thoughts. 

With all due respect, what does that "solve?" There is no solution, people's lives have been forever marred at least and possibly ruined in the name of the immoral protection of a school's self-righteous image and a coaches egotistical legacy and we solve it with money in the hope PSU football can go it's merry way? There is no solution and that makes these things all the more tragic.

DanielJMartin_Daniel Martin

Sickening. RT @Mengus22: Investigative journalists are looking into reports that Sandusky pimped out kids to wealthy donors to his charity!?

3 hours agoFavoriteRetweetReply

Joe Paterno needed to go with the rest of em. This is a violent crime against a child. Anybody who knew of this but didn't go straight to the police needs to go. It's the fault of everybody that didn't bring this to the police. Paterno used his power to downplay and squash this thing instead of doing what was right. All these idiots are pretending that they are not accessories to these crimes, and that's just nonsense. Glad Joe Pa is gone and wasn't given a pass. He used up his "free pass" giving it to his Pedophile buddy and giving him carte blanche to young kids for a decade.

As far as McQueary? Im surprised he hasn't hung himself, having witnessed what he did and going to his coach and not the police. Actually, I'm not surprised, how can he have any spare time to feel guilty while moving up the PSU coaching ladder?

Sickening...

He was accused in 98'. everything was done by the book. Paterno reported it. The D.A. did not bring charges. Then Paterno fired Sandusky. In 2002 Paterno again reported it. The police didn't follow up. I understand the question Why was he allowed on campus? Is that Joe Paterno's decision? The question should be why the D.A. didn't bring charges in 98' and why in 2002 didn't campus police follow up? Remember he wasn't coaching in 2002. I do think Paterno could have done more and he admits that, but remember Paterno is not the sexual predator here. Sandusky is a disgusting human being and should go to jail for the rest of his life. 

I saw a good article yesterday that I believe was the Daily News. It was about the prosecutor who dropped the charges. Soon after the Sandusky case was dropped, he told his wife he was going to an antique shop a half hour away and never came back. this was around 10 years ago. All they found was his car and cell phone at the antique shop and no other clues. They went into his personal computer but all they could retrieve was a search for how to destroy a hard drive. There not sure if the guy killed himself, was killed, or just decided to disappear.

He was accused in 98'. everything was done by the book. Paterno reported it. The D.A. did not bring charges. Then Paterno fired Sandusky. In 2002 Paterno again reported it. The police didn't follow up. I understand the question Why was he allowed on campus? Is that Joe Paterno's decision? The question should be why the D.A. didn't bring charges in 98' and why in 2002 didn't campus police follow up? Remember he wasn't coaching in 2002. I do think Paterno could have done more and he admits that, but remember Paterno is not the sexual predator here. Sandusky is a disgusting human being and should go to jail for the rest of his life. 

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-111110a/here-how-penn-state-fix-football-culture

An interesting comment was:
"How important is football to an institution of higher learning that serves 95,000 students and is supposed to be dedicated to the pursuit of excellence? "

Unrelated to Penn State, but just as valid a question, is how important is football to college presidents like those at WV, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. that sell their sports identity for a higher bidder at the drop of a hat burying, in the case of Missouri, over a 100 years of rivalry tradition? College football is becoming a prime example of what is wrong with college athletics these days. This sad incident may be just what America needs to open its eyes about the selfish greed that dominates CF at the highest levels.

Agree 100% with your train of thought.

College football (and basketball) have an enormous impact on the branding of a university. The value of a successful sports team for some universities is even greater than the direct revenue the program generates. Schools like Duke, UNC, Ohio State, Indiana, UCLA, Boston College, Georgetown, etc, would simply not attract the students they attract without their storied sports histories.

When I worked at St. John's, administration counted students like beans. Each student produces revenue which is essential to the business success of a school. The brand name success of a sports program attracts students at least as much as academics, and, all things being equal, add successful a sports program to the decision, and the kid will likely go that way.

Have you ever been to State College, PA? I have - it's in the middle of nowhere, literally. The town is dominated by the university. Without football, there would be little attraction to attend school in a place where nearby towns include Altoona and Roaring Springs.

Covering up Sandusky's crimes was the cleanest way to avoid bringing scandal to the university, and to damage that essential branding. Moral relativism causes people to do some strange math in equating greater good. All roads usually lead to the almighty dollar, and whether its done at its horrific worst (pedophilia), or any point in the slippery slope, it's all related. The dollar rules in university business.

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/page/munson-111110a/here-how-penn-state-fix-football-culture

An interesting comment was:
"How important is football to an institution of higher learning that serves 95,000 students and is supposed to be dedicated to the pursuit of excellence? "

Unrelated to Penn State, but just as valid a question, is how important is football to college presidents like those at WV, Pitt, Syracuse, etc. that sell their sports identity for a higher bidder at the drop of a hat burying, in the case of Missouri, over a 100 years of rivalry tradition? College football is becoming a prime example of what is wrong with college athletics these days. This sad incident may be just what America needs to open its eyes about the selfish greed that dominates CF at the highest levels.

Moral relativism or organizational group think? Went through one of these involving patient abuse and the fact that I went on the record pointing out the need for action and the risks involved saved my career. When the purges started there was my memo as the only document saying stop the madness.

What are your opinions on the scandal? Should they fire Joe Paterno, let him resign at the end of the year.?

I think the President Graham Spanier needs to go ASAP, and although I am big Penn State fan, Joe needs to go. He should resign tomorrow.

Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here,

And they allowed this scumbag to work out in the weight room as late as last week.

Bring back Al Golden from Miami to restore the program. 

I am from western PA and currently live there and can tell you one thing.....Paterno will never, ever be fired, especially not over this. That just isn't going to happen. Paterno is treated like a God in these parts.....and if the new AD were ever to have the balls to fire Paterno (who is probably the greatest college football coach ever), it would be the end of Penn State football, which would ultimately cost the university an insane amount of money... and I know you shouldn't be worried about money in a situation like this, but its the world we live in today...so him being fired isn't going to happen...

As for the case against Paterno itself...I just read the indictment and can't find anything that indicates that Paterno improperly reported the abuse. In fact, it seems that the law prescribes a course of action, instructing subordinates to report directly to institutional administrators as he did.The incidents were first reported in 2002, which was 2-3 years after Sandusky had retired. So at the time he had no connection to the football program what-so-ever. And from my understanding of the incident, it wasn't another 7 years(2009) until the victims reported anything. So at the time, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do. Had he gone straight to the police, people would be saying that it is not his responsibility to go to the police, and he should have told the AD and let them take it from there. He reported the incident, which was the correct decision to do. After that, it is out of his hands.....

Also, you said "Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here"........who's responsibility was it to 'expose' him??

And for the statement about whether Paterno should be fired or resign at the end of the year, I said NEITHER.....sorry but Paterno did absolutely nothing wrong here.... 

Like you, I live in Harrisburg and grew up here. As you know its pretty much the center of Penn State activity outside of State College.

As for the not going to the police aspect...Schultz was VP and head of campus police. They're a real police force...not just some St Johns campus security! http://www.police.psu.edu/aboutus/ They have more armed officers then most cities that are 50k! The issue here is that when Schultz was brought in, him and Curley decided to cover it up. What do you do when the director of the police covers something up? And I know teachers in PA can't just go to the police if they see some sort of sexual abuse. They're required to go to their superiors and aren't allowed to follow up. Since JoePa is en employee of te Commonwealth I'm sure theres some sort of similar policies.

When Joe said "I could have done more" it was more in remorse then anything else. The sad thing is...Joe is about the only one who did the right thing in all of this! You could point your finger at dozens of other people well before you point it at Joe. Outside of the obvious you can start witht he parents and the DA of the 98 case who never pursued it. You can blame the governor Tom Corbett who was the Attorney General (and member of the board of trustees) for not pursuing it further. Mind you McQueary testified 3 YEARS AGO. Then again, Corbett was just elected in 2010 :dry:

And for those who assume that Paterno "must have known". Well look who's coaching Penn State this weekend...Tom Bradley who's been on the staff for 35 years. Coached under Jerry Sandusky. He must have known too right? Which is why he's coaching???? Bradley was just as close to Sandusky as Paterno. I've also heard "Sandusky and Paterno were friends, why didn't Paterno help a friend with his problem?" Thats actually assuing 2 things, Paterno knew and Sandusky and him were actually friends! I don't know the ins and outs but when Paterno sat Sandusky down in 99 and told him he wouldn't be the next head coach at Penn State Sandusky retired. Would you send a man who ripped your heart out a Christmas card?

One thing most people don't know and most Penn State locals and fans will attest to, the board and Spanier have been trying to rid themselves of Paterno for years. Its kind of like Donovan McNabb with the eagles. He would suck for weeks and as soon as a benching came he had an MVP performance and would escape it. Every few years Joe has a fantastic team and it shuts everyone up. That and the cashflow from donors! This years team isn't supposed to be one of them. Don't think for one second the board wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get rid of Paterno...which they did.

As the facts stand right now, do I think Joe got a raw deal? Yes. Was it necessary he went? From a PR standpoint yes but from a "morality" standpoint or any other standpoint no. Its pathetic that it went this way but whats even more pathetic is when I watch TV and read stories from national news outlets and they frame it to be all about Paterno or that he abused the children or that he knew. Like, they're sure that he knew. Despite a grand jury testimony that he didn't. Good job ignoring the facts! People need to go after those who actually committed the crimes and not just those who are in the public eye! Rant over.

Very briefly, if Paterno knew about this and kept this guy on his staff, he is guilty of looking the other way.

One thing I would say about his firing, he was going to quit anyway. The university acted in the best interests of the university - period. Whether it was right or wrong to let him go is almost inconsequential. The university wants the appearance that they are now taking out the hatchet to purge administration of anyone who knew and kept it a secret. And to administration, saving face is all that matters, the exact same reason they took no action 10 years ago.

What are your opinions on the scandal? Should they fire Joe Paterno, let him resign at the end of the year.?

I think the President Graham Spanier needs to go ASAP, and although I am big Penn State fan, Joe needs to go. He should resign tomorrow.

Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here,

And they allowed this scumbag to work out in the weight room as late as last week.

Bring back Al Golden from Miami to restore the program. 

I am from western PA and currently live there and can tell you one thing.....Paterno will never, ever be fired, especially not over this. That just isn't going to happen. Paterno is treated like a God in these parts.....and if the new AD were ever to have the balls to fire Paterno (who is probably the greatest college football coach ever), it would be the end of Penn State football, which would ultimately cost the university an insane amount of money... and I know you shouldn't be worried about money in a situation like this, but its the world we live in today...so him being fired isn't going to happen...

As for the case against Paterno itself...I just read the indictment and can't find anything that indicates that Paterno improperly reported the abuse. In fact, it seems that the law prescribes a course of action, instructing subordinates to report directly to institutional administrators as he did.The incidents were first reported in 2002, which was 2-3 years after Sandusky had retired. So at the time he had no connection to the football program what-so-ever. And from my understanding of the incident, it wasn't another 7 years(2009) until the victims reported anything. So at the time, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do. Had he gone straight to the police, people would be saying that it is not his responsibility to go to the police, and he should have told the AD and let them take it from there. He reported the incident, which was the correct decision to do. After that, it is out of his hands.....

Also, you said "Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here"........who's responsibility was it to 'expose' him??

And for the statement about whether Paterno should be fired or resign at the end of the year, I said NEITHER.....sorry but Paterno did absolutely nothing wrong here.... 

Like you, I live in Harrisburg and grew up here. As you know its pretty much the center of Penn State activity outside of State College.

As for the not going to the police aspect...Schultz was VP and head of campus police. They're a real police force...not just some St Johns campus security! http://www.police.psu.edu/aboutus/ They have more armed officers then most cities that are 50k! The issue here is that when Schultz was brought in, him and Curley decided to cover it up. What do you do when the director of the police covers something up? And I know teachers in PA can't just go to the police if they see some sort of sexual abuse. They're required to go to their superiors and aren't allowed to follow up. Since JoePa is en employee of te Commonwealth I'm sure theres some sort of similar policies.

When Joe said "I could have done more" it was more in remorse then anything else. The sad thing is...Joe is about the only one who did the right thing in all of this! You could point your finger at dozens of other people well before you point it at Joe. Outside of the obvious you can start witht he parents and the DA of the 98 case who never pursued it. You can blame the governor Tom Corbett who was the Attorney General (and member of the board of trustees) for not pursuing it further. Mind you McQueary testified 3 YEARS AGO. Then again, Corbett was just elected in 2010 :dry:

And for those who assume that Paterno "must have known". Well look who's coaching Penn State this weekend...Tom Bradley who's been on the staff for 35 years. Coached under Jerry Sandusky. He must have known too right? Which is why he's coaching???? Bradley was just as close to Sandusky as Paterno. I've also heard "Sandusky and Paterno were friends, why didn't Paterno help a friend with his problem?" Thats actually assuing 2 things, Paterno knew and Sandusky and him were actually friends! I don't know the ins and outs but when Paterno sat Sandusky down in 99 and told him he wouldn't be the next head coach at Penn State Sandusky retired. Would you send a man who ripped your heart out a Christmas card?

One thing most people don't know and most Penn State locals and fans will attest to, the board and Spanier have been trying to rid themselves of Paterno for years. Its kind of like Donovan McNabb with the eagles. He would suck for weeks and as soon as a benching came he had an MVP performance and would escape it. Every few years Joe has a fantastic team and it shuts everyone up. That and the cashflow from donors! This years team isn't supposed to be one of them. Don't think for one second the board wouldn't jump at the opportunity to get rid of Paterno...which they did.

As the facts stand right now, do I think Joe got a raw deal? Yes. Was it necessary he went? From a PR standpoint yes but from a "morality" standpoint or any other standpoint no. Its pathetic that it went this way but whats even more pathetic is when I watch TV and read stories from national news outlets and they frame it to be all about Paterno or that he abused the children or that he knew. Like, they're sure that he knew. Despite a grand jury testimony that he didn't. Good job ignoring the facts! People need to go after those who actually committed the crimes and not just those who are in the public eye! Rant over.

Back