Penn State Jerry Sandusky Scandal

19854ever

What are your opinions on the scandal? Should they fire Joe Paterno, let him resign at the end of the year.?

I think the President Graham Spanier needs to go ASAP, and although I am big Penn State fan, Joe needs to go. He should resign tomorrow.

Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here,

And they allowed this scumbag to work out in the weight room as late as last week.

Bring back Al Golden from Miami to restore the program. 

Seems like a huge cover up job, Paterno should lose his job it seems like he didnt do much to prevent this crap from happening. DISGUSTING

Coach Paterno let a Child rapist keep his job for years & not call the police on this lowlife means
he felt his PennState brand image was more important then protecting young boys. :evil:

Coach Paterno let a Child rapist keep his job for years & not call the police on this lowlife means
he felt his PennState brand image was more important then protecting young boys. :evil:

An assistant walks into the bathroom and watches a child getting raped by Sandusky in 02 , tells Paterno who does nothing other than report it to the AD.....fast forward to 07 Sandusky shows up at a Penn St practice with a young boy and that doesnt send up a flare in Paterno's head? The whole story is pure evil!

they knew in '98 this guy was a child rapist. the d-a chose not to get involved even though he had the testimony of the victim and sandusky on tape tearfully asking the boy's mother for forgiveness.

the president of penn state should be gone...as should paterno...

sandusky is accused of molesting eight boys...but i'd bet there were many more thanks to the d-a and penn staters looking the other way.

If those other 2 administrators are being criminally charged for failure to report these incidents to the police so should the sainted Joe Pa. 

What are your opinions on the scandal? Should they fire Joe Paterno, let him resign at the end of the year.?

I think the President Graham Spanier needs to go ASAP, and although I am big Penn State fan, Joe needs to go. He should resign tomorrow.

Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here,

And they allowed this scumbag to work out in the weight room as late as last week.

I am from western PA and currently live there and can tell you one thing.....Paterno will never, ever be fired, especially not over this. That just isn't going to happen. Paterno is treated like a God in these parts.....and if the new AD were ever to have the balls to fire Paterno (who is probably the greatest college football coach ever), it would be the end of Penn State football, which would ultimately cost the university an insane amount of money... and I know you shouldn't be worried about money in a situation like this, but its the world we live in today...so him being fired isn't going to happen...

As for the case against Paterno itself...I just read the indictment and can't find anything that indicates that Paterno improperly reported the abuse. In fact, it seems that the law prescribes a course of action, instructing subordinates to report directly to institutional administrators as he did.The incidents were first reported in 2002, which was 2-3 years after Sandusky had retired. So at the time he had no connection to the football program what-so-ever. And from my understanding of the incident, it wasn't another 7 years(2009) until the victims reported anything. So at the time, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do. Had he gone straight to the police, people would be saying that it is not his responsibility to go to the police, and he should have told the AD and let them take it from there. He reported the incident, which was the correct decision to do. After that, it is out of his hands.....

Also, you said "Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here"........who's responsibility was it to 'expose' him??

And for the statement about whether Paterno should be fired or resign at the end of the year, I said NEITHER.....sorry but Paterno did absolutely nothing wrong here.... 

I am from western PA and currently live there and can tell you one thing.....Paterno will never, ever be fired, especially not over this. That just isn't going to happen. Paterno is treated like a God in these parts.....and if the new AD were ever to have the balls to fire Paterno (who is probably the greatest college football coach ever), it would be the end of Penn State football, which would ultimately cost the university an insane amount of money... and I know you shouldn't be worried about money in a situation like this, but its the world we live in today...so him being fired isn't going to happen...

As for the case against Paterno itself...I just read the indictment and can't find anything that indicates that Paterno improperly reported the abuse. In fact, it seems that the law prescribes a course of action, instructing subordinates to report directly to institutional administrators as he did.The incidents were first reported in 2002, which was 2-3 years after Sandusky had retired. So at the time he had no connection to the football program what-so-ever. And from my understanding of the incident, it wasn't another 7 years(2009) until the victims reported anything. So at the time, Paterno did exactly what he was supposed to do. Had he gone straight to the police, people would be saying that it is not his responsibility to go to the police, and he should have told the AD and let them take it from there. He reported the incident, which was the correct decision to do. After that, it is out of his hands.....

Also, you said "Jerry Sandusky should have been exposed years ago, there was no accountability here"........who's responsibility was it to 'expose' him??

And for the statement about whether Paterno should be fired or resign at the end of the year, I said NEITHER.....sorry but Paterno did absolutely nothing wrong here.... 

Had he gone straight to the police, people would be saying that it is not his responsibility to go to the police, and he should have told the AD and let them take it from there. He reported the incident, which was the correct decision to do. After that, it is out of his hands........................

I'll bet there isn't a parent in America who would agree with this assessment.

Jumbo, I respectfully agree to disagree:

In 1998, there was investigation made by the local DA, they decided not to charge Sandusky a year later Joe forces him out of coaching. Instead Jerry starts a charity where he can be around young children.

From 2000-2002 Jerry was allowed to use Penn State facilities for his charity, where he raped 10 year old boys. In 2007 he brings a 13 year old boy to campus, after Curley bans him from bringing children on the campus in 2002.

As late as October 2011, Sandusky has an office on campus a parking pass and free access to Penn State's gym.

Graham Spanier and Joe Pa, let this scumbag hang around Penn State for too long.

Yes Joe is/was a great coach a molder of young men, but his "looking" the other way on this issue tarnishes his legacy.

Here is a question will Spanier be fired? Will he be charged? End of the day he may be more culpable then Joe Pa ? 

Jumbo, I respectfully agree to disagree:

In 1998, there was investigation made by the local DA, they decided not to charge Sandusky a year later Joe forces him out of coaching. Instead Jerry starts a charity where he can be around young children.

From 2000-2002 Jerry was allowed to use Penn State facilities for his charity, where he raped 10 year old boys. In 2007 he brings a 13 year old boy to campus, after Curley bans him from bringing children on the campus in 2002.

As late as October 2011, Sandusky has an office on campus a parking pass and free access to Penn State's gym.

Graham Spanier and Joe Pa, let this scumbag hang around Penn State for too long.

Yes Joe is/was a great coach a molder of young men, but his "looking" the other way on this issue tarnishes his legacy.

Here is a question will Spanier be fired? Will he be charged? End of the day he may be more culpable then Joe Pa ? 

In 1998 he was investigated and never charged.....and he eventually started a charity working with kids. To me, that would be more of a state regulation thing, as they never should have let him start the charity. Paterno doesn't really have any control over whether or not he starts a charity.

And for his use of facilities and his office and whatnot, well that was part of his retirement package. And that office was not associated with the football team whatsoever. Per an article on ESPN, "Sandusky......long maintained an office in the East Area Locker building which is across the street from the Penn State football team's building..."

A lot of this will come down to the idea of 'innocent until proven guilty', which is a very disturbing way to look at it....

NY Times reporting the contrary. PSU is trying to work out an exit stategy for Paterno, trying to make it appear he was going to resign anyway. But the reality is, Paterno is out because of this abhorrent story. Good riddance to him and anyone who helped cover up that child predator.

They should all be in jail. They are lucky PSU belives having a successful sports program is more important than saving children from rape.

By the way, nice job with your prediction. Can you tell me how the stock market is doing, so I can hedge the other way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/s...aid-to-be-planning-paternos-exit.html?_r=1&hp 

Paterno is Not the greatest fb coach ever, its Knute Rockne hands down he initated the forward pass with qb gus dorias at ND!! Rock also was 1st coach to use motion backfield with the 4 horseman.
He had The Irish dominate college game soo much that eastern schools had the motion backfield ruled illegal
Bear Bryant won more titles & Bobby Bowden also.

Joe Pa let this pervert continue to roam!

Joe Pa is guilty of the sin of ommission!

Jumbo,

Thanks for your response, what is your thoughts on Spanier, he is the school President, why in 2002, did he not go to the Police?

Why is he not being threatened by police?

Is he gone? Your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike McQueary is a real low life also! He witnessed a 10 yr old being raped and all he did was call his father and tell Paterno? How about trying to stop it? This low life still coaches on Paterno's staff and from what I read Sandusky has been at practices as recent as last week. So this low life McQueary watched Sandusky rape a 10 year old boy and does basically nothing about it. He is as bad as Paterno. 

Based upon the facts that have come out to date, I find it difficult to blame Paterno. He reported it and no action was taken by his superiors against Sandusky. I would imagine that he also sat down and discussed it with Sandusky, a guy he knew for 33 years, and he denied it. At that point, he certainly didn't want to believe it, and was probably satisfied, against that backdrop, that it had been fully investigated. If he ends up getting fired, I guess I can certainly understand it, but before we put the blame on Paterno, let's see what all the facts are. In any event, the whole saga is just extremely sad.

If Paterno was aware of the nature of the offense he should have pursued this issue relentlessly to make sure that Sandusky never violated another child. Anything less is moral cowardice..

Based upon the facts that have come out to date, I find it difficult to blame Paterno. He reported it and no action was taken by his superiors against Sandusky. I would imagine that he also sat down and discussed it with Sandusky, a guy he knew for 33 years, and he denied it. At that point, he certainly didn't want to believe it, and was probably satisfied, against that backdrop, that it had been fully investigated. If he ends up getting fired, I guess I can certainly understand it, but before we put the blame on Paterno, let's see what all the facts are. In any event, the whole saga is just extremely sad.

If Sandusky denied it, how then does Paterno not get he and McQueary in a room and ask which one was lying? If he believed Sandusky, how then was McQueary on Paterno's staff? The whole thing stinks and everyone involved will have the odor on them forever. Not one person gave a damn about the kid raped and the ones who were going to be raped; disgraceful. As for facts, you don't be "probably satisfied" in a matter of such import, you be damned certain. I'm sorry, I have admired and rooted for Paterno all my life but he there is no defense for him being anything but up front, aggressive and involved to the max in this and he was not.

Back