Ohtani Deal

Interestingly I have heard nothing about him taking a physical. When asked he and his agent said nothing. I Think the Dodgers doctor was the one who performed his last surgery. Might be something to keep an eye on.

From a baseball standpoint, I wonder if the deal is worth it if he can't pitch anymore. Two Tommy John surgeries are really hard to come back from.

I do think the Dodgers will probably make money from this deal. It's been reported the Angels made 10-25 million off of Ohtani alone from advertisements and other revenue stuff. Add the Dodgers brand, and they can probably estimate even more money from that. Plus, it makes the Dodgers a true go-to place for Japanese players. They're still in on Yamamoto!

I don't have a lot of patience when people complain about salaries for baseball players. MLB has the worst owners in professional sports. They are extremely cheap, and the CBA depresses wages for in-prime players. MLB needs a salary floor that's in-line with the NFL and NBA before we discuss a soft or hard cap.
I'm not so sure about the cheap owners part. NFL you can get cut. MLB teams are saddled with horrible contracts

I think they are definitely cheap when you look at most minor league players pay etc. When you factor all the time they are putting into the team a lot probably aren't even making minimum wage

I remember worrying about how the Lindor contract might hamstring the Mets. Now it looks not so bad!? The Ohtani contract for an almost 30 player who won’t pitch this season (that’s a big part of his value) is crazy.

The Soto contract just went up. Boras must be licking his greedy chops right about now. I must say the Dodgers pitching was suspect with all the injuries will be interesting to see how they fix that. First world problem I guess.
Over 30 is a huge risk since the increased testing. Jason Bay fell off a cliff after turning 30. He went from 36 homers and 119 RBI to 6 and 47 with the Mets the following season.

I don’t understand how Ohtani can fully heal from Tommy John playing full time as a hitter.

He’s only had 86 starts in 6 years and he’s only pitched more than 132 innings in a season once. That’s not a 25-30 mill a year pitcher to me.

Spoke with one of our brightest alums yesterday who has domain expertise, who said Ohtani's deal, while massive, is really a present value $540 million deal, with a Bobby Bonilla type annuity built in that will pay out $700 million over decades.

$70 million per blows the lid off the market, but an average of $54 million for a massive 2-way talent never seen before is appropriately top of market.

Going to guess that his 2024 salary is based in the low to mid 40s and escalates over the ten years, averaging $54 million over the period with a sifnificant chunk loaded into an annuity.

Considering all that it's a package Cohen and the Mets would likely have executed but didn't get their chance at bat. In the end Ohtani I believe, chose the team he wanted to play for, not creating a bidding war.

Just my take.

absolutely no question Ohtani the most unique player to hit free agency in maybe ever. Totallly understood beasts current market value because as with all contracts we gotta factor in things like inflation and contracts that start lower and accelerate. I have no clue how much is deferred and I’m pretty sure beast knows. The problem with the Mets is with Bonilla they were calculating a certain rate of return to justify the deferral. On Ohtani I don’t know the details so defer to Beast but my personal opinion is it’s a horrible contract for a very unique player where tjey won’t get value on the pitching part of the uniqueness

Turns out the vast majority is deferred. Only $2M dollars a year for 10 years then $68M a year. Somewhere Bobby Bonilla is celebrating or crying.

The bizarre details of the contract certainly make the deal look exponentially better.

It’s wild that the CBA doesn’t limit deferred compensation.

Maybe he’ll move to Florida when he retires and avoid state and city income tax.

Comparing players of different eras can be very misleading. Babe Ruth was utilized mostly as a pitcher when he started his career as a Red Sox and didn’t get the normal number of bats until he traded to the Yankees.
What made him such an icon was his power numbers when he became a full time outfielder. Among the mind blowing stats is the fact in 1920, his first year getting a full season of at bats he hit 54 home runs which was more than all but one major league team.

Back