Ohtani Deal

I believe there is a really good chance the Dodgers will regret this contract. He has been injured quite a lot.
I guess the issue is how many titles make it worth it to ownership? Two doesn't seem like enough for me. For $700 million, conversation might actually start at four.

I guess the issue is how many titles make it worth it to ownership? Two doesn't seem like enough for me. For $700 million, conversation might actually start at four.
And since the Angels never had an over .500 record while he was there speaks volumes to the effect any one player has in baseball. Now for sure, the Dodgers are a far, far cry from the Angels.

I hope this sinks the Bums for decades.

Fiscally poor deal.
LA Dodgers avg attendence in a 56K seat stadium was 47.4K--if they were to sell out every game, not likely, they might generate about40% of the contract. Will need to sell a lot of Ohtani merch.

I'm sure the Dodgers have some revenue producing angles to.play.

Im going to guess if Ohtani recovers to pitch well, he may be a safer investment annually than Scherzer-Verlander-deGrom deals

I'm sure the Dodgers have some revenue producing angles to.play.

Im going to guess if Ohtani recovers to pitch well, he may be a safer investment annually than Scherzer-Verlander-deGrom deals
He has value in other ways then baseball. How much he can pitch effectively is the key in whether this deal has much value.

I remember worrying about how the Lindor contract might hamstring the Mets. Now it looks not so bad!? The Ohtani contract for an almost 30 player who won’t pitch this season (that’s a big part of his value) is crazy.

The Soto contract just went up. Boras must be licking his greedy chops right about now. I must say the Dodgers pitching was suspect with all the injuries will be interesting to see how they fix that. First world problem I guess.

I remember worrying about how the Lindor contract might hamstring the Mets. Now it looks not so bad!? The Ohtani contract for an almost 30 player who won’t pitch this season (that’s a big part of his value) is crazy.

The Soto contract just went up. Boras must be licking his greedy chops right about now. I must say the Dodgers pitching was suspect with all the injuries will be interesting to see how they fix that. First world problem I guess.
Always have been a huge baseball fan. Over the last several decades it still amazes me that these teams have sooo much money to pay these unbelievable salaries

From a baseball standpoint, I wonder if the deal is worth it if he can't pitch anymore. Two Tommy John surgeries are really hard to come back from.

I do think the Dodgers will probably make money from this deal. It's been reported the Angels made 10-25 million off of Ohtani alone from advertisements and other revenue stuff. Add the Dodgers brand, and they can probably estimate even more money from that. Plus, it makes the Dodgers a true go-to place for Japanese players. They're still in on Yamamoto!

I don't have a lot of patience when people complain about salaries for baseball players. MLB has the worst owners in professional sports. They are extremely cheap, and the CBA depresses wages for in-prime players. MLB needs a salary floor that's in-line with the NFL and NBA before we discuss a soft or hard cap.

From a baseball standpoint, I wonder if the deal is worth it if he can't pitch anymore. Two Tommy John surgeries are really hard to come back from.

I do think the Dodgers will probably make money from this deal. It's been reported the Angels made 10-25 million off of Ohtani alone from advertisements and other revenue stuff. Add the Dodgers brand, and they can probably estimate even more money from that. Plus, it makes the Dodgers a true go-to place for Japanese players. They're still in on Yamamoto!

I don't have a lot of patience when people complain about salaries for baseball players. MLB has the worst owners in professional sports. They are extremely cheap, and the CBA depresses wages for in-prime players. MLB needs a salary floor that's in-line with the NFL and NBA before we discuss a soft or hard cap.
I agree about having a floor. There’s teams out there. ex KC Pitt that take all of the revue sharing money and do not put it back into the team

Back