Not popular, but Big Norm Roberts guy here

RealGoodNews

Hello, I haven't posted here since I was a teenager but I feel in love with SJU during the Norm Roberts era, and to me he will always be Coach. He inherited a program full of cheats and sins and got the right sort of players in here. He coached them up, and took a bunch of unheralded players to the cusp of national prominence. Sadly, he never got that chance, and instead of letting him coach his players to a national championship run, they took the team away and gave to Lavin. Of course Lavin won right away! Coach Norm did all the hard work! For all of those that said Norm isn't a winning coach,  how many elite eights and final fours has he been part of since he left? If St. Johns really wanted to win, and win the right way, they would do well to consider this championship Coach again. Don't flame me, Y'all. It's just how I feel.

Aaron Frank post=448950 said:
Hello, I haven't posted here since I was a teenager but I feel in love with SJU during the Norm Roberts era, and to me he will always be Coach. He inherited a program full of cheats and sins and got the right sort of players in here. He coached them up, and took a bunch of unheralded players to the cusp of national prominence. Sadly, he never got that chance, and instead of letting him coach his players to a national championship run, they took the team away and gave to Lavin. Of course Lavin won right away! Coach Norm did all the hard work! For all of those that said Norm isn't a winning coach,  how many elite eights and final fours has he been part of since he left? If St. Johns really wanted to win, and win the right way, they would do well to consider this championship Coach again. Don't flame me, Y'all. It's just how I feel.

Nice post. I always wondered what happened to you Eugene Lawrence.

[attachment=2392]CBFF88CE-63F7-4167-B7E4-31B344B32F76.jpeg[/attachment]. Impressed you can post while in a jacket  :)   This has gotta be a Marco Baldi post

Last edited:
Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to respond. Geno was my all-time favorite player in any sport(except for Barbaro). Remember his game against Louisville? BANG! 3- Pointer! BANG 3- Pointer! Take that, Pinto!

I think you may be confused. My name is Aaron, not Marco. I just want to say that it's 2022, and mental health problems aren't fodder for jokes. I have been in a straight-jacket for THERAPUTIC reasons six times. Lets not be insulting. I hope your friend Marco gets the help he needs.

can we move this thread to the regular forum ? This will bring some fun responses 

Sue its bias because I was in high school and my first ever live game was in November of 05. but there were just so many incredible wins. Louisville. Notre Dame two years in a row. The magical double overtime game vs depaul. Knocking off Temple at Philly. Almost beating Durant. Amazing!

Let's be real. He was given six years and never won anything. Why did he deserve another year??? This is one of the strangest posts I've ever read on this site.

Thank you very much for your reply. The first three years don't really count because of the Terrible Mess. We were lucky we weren't expelled from the conference because of what happened. Just a few years after a near empty Carnasecca Arena, in 2007 we nearly sold out the Garden. He single-handely brought us back. Imagine a small religious school from Queens selling out MSG?  There can always be more wins. It's about pride and watching a group of young men get faster, stronger, and develop into champions. His first true recruiting class eventually beat Duke and Uconn on the way to the 2010-11 NCAA run.

Last edited:
It doesn't surprise me that people don't think I'm sincere. People are very cynical these days. I have such fond memories of moving to NYC after my parents died and my Uncle taking me to those games. In a very dark time in my life watching these amazing athletes up close in the biggest city in the country was a bright light. Norm was part of that, since I was a devout Christian too. If an x-NBA player could resurrect this team, maybe I could resurrect myself too. Unfortunately, I fell into some dark times myself. Maybe there's still home hope for me too.

I understand, Aaron.

I felt Lavin and Mullin were hard working, Fran was classy, and Jarvis was a stand-up guy.   But, for some reason, no one ever takes me seriously.  Perhaps we can be friends?

mjmaherjr you were right. This is a fun topic. I think that things are going to get interesting. I just hope that they don't get ugly. Be nice, guys. Witty but nice.

Room112 post=448961 said:

Let's be real. He was given six years and never won anything. Why did he deserve another year??? This is one of the strangest posts I've ever read on this site.

I’m certainly not defending Norm but the kids did love him.  My recollection is they lobbied hard for him to stay.

I’m certainly not defending Norm but the kids did love him. My recollection is they lobbied hard for him to stay.

Yes! Of Course. He would take them to his house on Long Island for cookouts and really cared about each player. The results showed that. Look what happened Lavin's first year! They were all Norm's players. Gosh, that's the type of program I would love to root for! Family and Faith based, with National Championship potential every four years.

Back