NIT

Thread getting highjacked by an NIT discussion in 3....2....1....
It ties directly to transfers. Did Rick really need this "extra time" to get quality players or does the walk and chew gum approach taken by Seton Hall with them in NIT finals now make them appear better to transfers/recruits? I don't have an answer, I see both sides here but was wondering thoughts on the impact on some of the more local players we might be after.

It ties directly to transfers. Did Rick really need this "extra time" to get quality players or does the walk and chew gum approach taken by Seton Hall with them in NIT finals now make them appear better to transfers/recruits? I don't have an answer, I see both sides here but was wondering thoughts on the impact on some of the more local players we might be after.

I just don't think Hall's performance in the NIT will do much, if anything, to influence a recruit's decision.

It is an interesting issue here. In one context, I can see the point of declining the NIT to give more time for recruiting. However, the Seton Hall method has been- let's play the NIT and it will help us with recruiting. They are now in the finals. Not sure how this will cut and if Rick's dominos fall next week after the NCAA championship or if Seton Hall snags some quality first based on their performance.

I witnessed the Robert Morris debacle first-hand with friends on that team and I can tell you that they had no business playing that game and an NIT decline would have been optimal there based on the personalities on that team. But this team was top-heavy with grads/seniors and may have had some more pride. Not sure if Rick made the call off the players or just on his own (and used recruiting as excuse).

We will see what either path produces in the coming weeks.
Playing in the NIT will have zero impact on Hall's recruiting. I'm sure they didn't play for that reason. They probably played because of some combination of their kids wanting to have one last rodeo together on the court and any exposure a school like Seton Hall gets, however minimal, is positive exposure because they get none. I got texts from numerous NJ basketball fans last night asking me if I was watching Bailey and Harper play in the McDonald's game and they had zero clue Seton Hall was even on TV.

I can picture the convo now. Mom I want to go to Seton Hall they just won the NIT. Kids mom calls assistant coaches my son is interested what are you offering him. Well Mrs xxx “ we can get him a years worth of free breakfasts at IHOP as long as he goes there before 7am. Mom “ but your morning practices end at 8am can he get it delivered. Asst Coach “ absolutely but you have to pay the uber eats delivery charge and tip “

Playing in the NIT will have zero impact on Hall's recruiting. I'm sure they didn't play for that reason. They probably played because of some combination of their kids wanting to have one last rodeo together on the court and any exposure a school like Seton Hall gets, however minimal, is positive exposure because they get none. I got texts from numerous NJ basketball fans last night asking me if I was watching Bailey and Harper play in the McDonald's game and they had zero clue Seton Hall was even on TV.
SH kids wanted to play, Sha was happy to coach, so good for them. Everything does not have to be put through SJU prism. Hope they win it, diminished event or not.

Heck I was watching Bailey and Harper (before switching to the Hall game) too and I had no routing interest.

Pitino hated this team. He publicly called coaching them the most unenjoyable experience of his life — and this is a man that was once banished to coach in Greece and Iona.

If he thought they could win it and he was willing to coach them, we would have accepted.

These are professionals now. If they wanted to play an extra week they should have won more games.

Pitino hated this team. He publicly called coaching them the most unenjoyable experience of his life — and this is a man that was once banished to coach in Greece and Iona.

If he thought they could win it and he was willing to coach them, we would have accepted.

These are professionals now. If they wanted to play an extra week they should have won more games.
My take is that 6 5th year seniors had no interest in playing on the NITs small stage, and with so many seniors would not be a stepping stone for next years squad anyway.

Last edited:
My take is that 6 5th year seniors had no interest in playing on the NITs small stage, and with so many seniors would not be a stepping stone for next years squad anyway.
Probably true, but I don’t think it mattered. I think Pitino was just done with this group.

That will likely be his least talented team here by a mile and it must be a nightmare for such a winner to show up with that kind of product given what he’s achieved.

Probably true, but I don’t think it mattered. I think Pitino was just done with this group.

That will likely be his least talented team here by a mile and it must be a nightmare for such a winner to show up with that kind of product given what he’s achieved.
Posted by guy on FB group - "Chatted w Joel,RJ, Zuby,Dunlap & Daniss They all said they Voted No to NIT . They also said UBS arena is NOT a Homecourt "

Posted by guy on FB group - "Chatted w Joel,RJ, Zuby,Dunlap & Daniss They all said they Voted No to NIT . They also said UBS arena is NOT a Homecourt "
That post is by a friend of mine - huge fan - he chatted with me on the way home from the event and said the exact same thing, including UBS. So Rick left it up to the players, and even the younger guys voted no.

I have to find out what our UBS plans are for next year. I kind of like the family vibe on weekend games there - it attracts lots of younger fans with their families. Seats behind the basket are very far from the court with no investment in the type of removable seating there that the Garden has.

We are probably stuck with CA for now. I think it will probably make due since a lot of our late surge in attendance were freebies to military, first responders, cops, firemen. We aren't packing CA with 100% paid tix, or anything close, no less MSG.

I am baffled that a big east game at CA cannot sell out. Interest in college basketball in the NYC area must be at an all time low.

For an NIT game, the house is in it. Sounds like they are playing on campus at Indiana State. Seton Hall will be tested.

Back