NIT Poll

Would you have accepted a bid to the dinosaur tournament?

• Total voters
I only included St. John’s because in the hypothetical we are discussing they would have to be in it to win😂

If we didn’t decline, I would have fully expected the NCAA to make us their prime target to screw. Providence got a 3 seed even after all the declined bids and were given Boston College first round. That seems deliberate to me.
They now only seed the regions 1 through 4, and they do try to keep it somewhat local for the early rounds. So yes, playing BC was somewhat deliberate.

If you watch the NIT teams play, you will notice the ambivalence of the participants.
These are no more than exhibition games and almost zero fan interest outside of the schools participating. The trend will continue to decline invitations because so many players are either graduating or entering the transfer portal. Zero development is taking place for most players.
Schools like St. John's, Memphis, Syracuse, Oklahoma, etc. no longer see any financial benefits in participating.
I don't know how long of a contract there is to hold the NIT but I predict it will ultimately be folded into the NCAA tournament.

16 other teams passed. I think it's up to the individual teams. How many people who think they should have accepted intended to buy tickets and attend? I only saw one poster say they would. I can't blame SJU for not wanting to open the doors for a game for just me and Mrs. IDRAFT.
Should have had a tournament with the 16 teams that declined an NIT invitation. They could call it the FNCAANIT. Guess you can figure what the F stands for. Teams could play trying to lose the games.

If you watch the NIT teams play, you will notice the ambivalence of the participants.
These are no more than exhibition games and almost zero fan interest outside of the schools participating. The trend will continue to decline invitations because so many players are either graduating or entering the transfer portal. Zero development is taking place for most players.
Schools like St. John's, Memphis, Syracuse, Oklahoma, etc. no longer see any financial benefits in participating.
I don't know how long of a contract there is to hold the NIT but I predict it will ultimately be folded into the NCAA tournament.
Making the NIT the play-in for seeds 9-11 isn't a bad idea.

Should have had a tournament with the 16 teams that declined an NIT invitation. They could call it the FNCAANIT. Guess you can figure what the F stands for. Teams could play trying to lose the games.
In that case you could also call it the AAC tournament.

Rick has said they will add 4 or 5 to portal including big, PG, wing & PF/stretch guy as I recall

How exciting to play in the NIT and get a reward for reaching the semi finals of a trip to play in Indianapolis and get to play in an ancient arena that can seat the astounding number of 9,100 fans. Should go back to old days with all games at MSG and with a smaller field of 16 max.

How exciting to play in the NIT and get a reward for reaching the semi finals of a trip to play in Indianapolis and get to play in an ancient arena that can seat the astounding number of 9,100 fans. Should go back to old days with all games at MSG and with a smaller field of 16 max.
In my mind , there was no advantage for any BE team to play in the NIT.

Only bad things could happen and did with all the losses in the first round

MSG tried its hardest to keep the NIT relavant. It went from holding the entire tournament at MSG to just the final four to nothing. For Seton Hall to play games at Walsh Gynasium should be the last straw.
Kill it.

Back