NIL’s

Actually my daughter did get a partial scholarship. In terms of your Taylor Swift argument, let’s take it one step further. In reality, when a concert venue wants Taylor to perform, they lure her, or any performer with potential ticket sales etc. however, that performer does not get the venue for free. They still have to pay to rent the arena, for all the people who set up the stage, sound check etc. In short there are costs and the only money they make comes from the concert itself.

So that’s where your analogy falls short. These kids are making extra NIL money and going to school free. So if they are to be paid as professionals, then why the free tuition, room and board? Performers have to pay for their own venue, what money are college athletes paying out.

Again, I maintain that these kids are well compensated in free room, board, tuition and special perks and you won’t convince me of otherwise.
I agree, but the recruiting game has changed. We have a choice--change with the times or die, and move on.

I agree, but the recruiting game has changed. We have a choice--change with the times or die, and move on.
Judging by the number of Players entering the Portal and some who have made moving from College to College a occupation , isn’t it ridiculous to call them Student Athletes anymore .
The last thing many of these youngster are interested is getting a College Degree . I said many , not all .

They are more properly defined as being Employees in the current era . They are getting paid to play BB . Much like the Faculty are paid to teach . Or , Coaches Coach .
They are free agents with no restriction on their year to year movement from College to College .

The Model that has been created is broken . Largely by the NCAA making College Sports a Professional Sport .

While I was in DC to see the Georgetown game, I stopped by to see my friend Kenny Blakeney who is the head coach at Howad University. His teams have won their conference tournament championship the past two years. After the first one, their top three players transferred. Here is where it gets interesting, his point guard, Elijah Hawkins, puts his name in the portal and eventually commits to Minnesota. He got a small NIL deal, but he wasn't getting anything at Howard.

This past season he was second in the nation in assists. A young man who played for me and is now an Asst coach in the A10, stopped by my house yesterday. While we were talking, Hawkins name came up and he told that the young man was back in the portal asking for 700K and will definitely get at least 500K.

Here is where it gets interesting. Coming out of DeMatha HS, Hawkins was a lightly recruited 5'10 150 lb PG. whose only scholarship was Howard. Now, after working on and improving his game, he is poised to make at least half a million dollars this upcoming season.

As much as I personally dislike the portal, I have nothing but respect for what this young man has accomplished.

Major difference here is that Taylor Swift IS the brand. She built her brand from scratch, there is only one Taylor Swift. She has leverage over the negotiations because no one can replace her. College athletes, on the other hand, are not the brand, the school is. People will turn out for Kentucky basketball no matter who's playing.
Bingo!

Wanted to share with you guys the newest episode of the podcast that's about the current state of NIL, especially at St. John's. How Rick Pitino and staff have embraced it specifically with the Storm Marketing team. Storm Marketing has been the first NIL collective on the scene and has been instrumental in helping SJU be in the top half of the conference since day 1. Justin Kramer and Vin Ochani came on the podcast to discuss that and break the news of a brand new venture and arm of Storm Marketing they are launching to give people are new avenue to support NIL.

I hope you guys check it out.

Back