New SJU President: Rev. Brian J. Shanley, OP, President of Providence College

[quote="Paultzman" post=409478]https://thetablet.org/it-was-like-an-answer-to-a-prayer-for-me/[/quote]

Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone know how likely it could be for Shanley to change orders if he really connects here?

This is just a fantastic, dream come true hire for St. John's. No one believed we'd hire a priest, no less someone like Shanley. On paper at least, he checks all the boxes. I'm hoping that with his charisma, he lights a fire under students and raises school spirit, connects with alumni, and becomes the leader that faculty and administration deserve. A very tall order, but suddenly we can have an outlook of being authentically Catholic, but looking to achieve excellence in all areas of the university.

Beast of the East" post=409495 said:
Paultzman" post=409478 said:
https://thetablet.org/it-was-like-an-answer-to-a-prayer-for-me/

Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone know how likely it could be for Shanley to change orders if he really connects here?

This is just a fantastic, dream come true hire for St. John's. No one believed we'd hire a priest, no less someone like Shanley. On paper at least, he checks all the boxes. I'm hoping that with his charisma, he lights a fire under students and raises school spirit, connects with alumni, and becomes the leader that faculty and administration deserve. A very tall order, but suddenly we can have an outlook of being authentically Catholic, but looking to achieve excellence in all areas of the university.

I don't think he actually needs to change orders, I believe all he needs to do is identify as a Vincentian lol 

That's really funny Bama.  I missed it the first time I read your comment.    Lol

You too Monte.  Do Vincentians and Dominicans use different bathrooms?

Last edited:
Beast of the East" post=412286 said:
That's really funny Bama.  I missed it the first time I read your comment.    Lol

You too Monte.  Do Vincentians and Dominicans use different bathrooms?
 Not sure but there is a huge difference in how they cook chicken

BTW mark this day or night down in history SJUFAN2. Tonight I just figured out how to use the quote thing ( from my computer not sure if phone is different ) but in the mjmaherjr world of hating technology this and getting rid of my flip phone 3 years ago and learning how to use Zelle 3 weeks ago right up their with landing on the moon in significance

Last edited:
I'll start off by saying i dont generally follow what happens on different college campuses and the politics of leadership, i'm simply just a college sports fan. Having said that i am familiar with what Father Shanley has done at PC and can say this is a GRAND SLAM hire.

Just from the athletics side of things, Shanley is a huge sports/basketball fan and puts a great importance on investing in athletics. Additionally, i believe it was his vision and leadership that was instrumental in reconfiguring the big east when it was on shaky ground during realignment. He has helped lead big fundraising efforts to build and transform the PC campus notably with the new practice facility. Many PC people were not happy he was not allowed to return.

The future of St John's basketball just got much brighter today

📝

Back