New Facilities Update

Great news...seems practice facility will come first. Will be interested to see how quickly that can be completed..12-18 months?

Think the new health science center construction to opening is 2 years. Thinking this would be smaller and easier.

So in the article it state the location will be adjacent to gate 4 which is the gate on Union Turnpike. That would place it, if accurate, in the parking lot of Carnesecca Arena. Which is great as it will be very close to the main arena, similar to West Virginia’s and a few other schools. That area of the parking lot is right now reserve parking for staff and admins and can easily be moved to other locations on campus. That’s where I was all those years #420. Can’t wait to see the design plans!

Attachments

• IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
So in the article it state the location will be adjacent to gate 4 which is the gate on Union Turnpike. That would place it, if accurate, in the parking lot of Carnesecca Arena. Which is great as it will be very close to the main arena, similar to West Virginia’s and a few other schools. That area of the parking lot is right now reserve parking for staff and admins and can easily be moved to other locations on campus. That’s where I was all those years #420. Can’t wait to see the design plans!
But will it impact student/ticket holder parking?

Off topic, but AH, who was the most durable player injury/recovery wise you ever worked w during your tenure at SJU?

But will it impact student/ticket holder parking?
Probably yes unless they build another garage near the right field baseball area which is faculty parking now! Maybe they have done studies that less students park on campus with higher car insurance rates and remote learning. 🤷🏻

Last edited:
Off topic, but AH, who was the most durable player injury/recovery wise you ever worked w during your tenure at SJU?
First of all Mark Jackson was my All Time SJU Ironman! Even if I hinted for him to take off practices or games to get therapy, the man would just tune me out! Matt Brust was another. D’Angelo was tough with a high pain tolerance level, but his injuries kept him from truly attaining top 10 SJU status. Hardy was durable and hardly ever missed practice or games. Remember that back in the 80’s-90’s-00’s and 2010 era there was hardly any recovery like today, just days off with therapy . During the Lavin era is when players started to do warm/cold tanks, recovery boots, Thera guns, and wearable portable recovery muscle stim units.
Big credit goes to former AD Anton Goff. His first year SJU received a huge one time payout from the NCAA and it was supposed to be earmarked for student athlete welfare. All D1 schools got it. Mental health, nutrition, and sports medicine. Anton called me into his office and told me he has given me almost $400,000 from these funds and to buy whatever recovery and therapy equipment we needed for both sports medicine rooms. He wanted my staff to be the best equipped in the Big East! And we soon became the best. Each of my staff AT had a full complement of gear to travel with on the road and soon became the envy of most Big East staffs once they heard and saw what Anton did. We completely redid both sports medicine rooms with all new modern therapy tables and modalities and refitted our Dr. examination room too. Many other schools did not utilize their funds like we did!
IMG_6167.jpegIMG_6166.jpeg

Last edited:
First of all Mark Jackson was my All Time SJU Ironman! Even if I hinted for him to take off practices or games to get therapy, the man would just tune me out! Matt Brust was another. D’Angelo was tough with a high pain tolerance level, but his injuries kept him from truly attaining top 10 SJU status. Hardy was durable and hardly ever missed practice or games. Remember that back in the 80’s-90’s-00’s and 2010 era there was hardly any recovery like today, just days off with therapy . During the Lavin era is when players started to do warm/cold tanks, recovery boots, Thera guns, and wearable portable recovery muscle stim units.
Big credit goes to former AD Anton Goff. His first year SJU received a huge one time payout from the NCAA and it was supposed to be earmarked for student athlete welfare. All D1 schools got it. Mental health, nutrition, and sports medicine. Anton called me into his office and told me he has given me almost $400,000 from these funds and to buy whatever recovery and therapy equipment we needed for both sports medicine rooms. He wanted my staff to be the best equipped in the Big East! And we soon became the best. Each of my staff AT had a full complement of gear to travel with on the road and soon became the envy of most Big East staffs once they heard and saw what Anton did. Many other schools did not utilize their funds like we did!
Another awesome story

Big credit goes to former AD Anton Goff. His first year SJU received a huge one time payout from the NCAA and it was supposed to be earmarked for student athlete welfare. All D1 schools got it. Mental health, nutrition, and sports medicine. Anton called me into his office and told me he has given me almost $400,000 from these funds and to buy whatever recovery and therapy equipment we needed for both sports medicine rooms. He wanted my staff to be the best equipped in the Big East! And we soon became the best. Each of my staff AT had a full complement of gear to travel with on the road and soon became the envy of most Big East staffs once they heard and saw what Anton did. We completely redid both sports medicine rooms with all new modern therapy tables and modalities and refitted our Dr. examination room too. Many other schools did not utilize their funds like we did!
Terrific response & most appreciate it AH!

My first sports medicine room…it was so small and ancient that they were embarrassed to even show me on my interview in 1981. They knew I’d never accept the position as coming from Princeton we had great facilities. They told me nobody could find the keys 🤣
Here are two pics of the dungeon from my second year. I paid for carpeting the room myself, and hand painted the conference logos on the wall at night with a track athlete that was an art major. They had no therapy units, the two units on the far left were mine from my stint in pro baseball with the Indians that I had to purchase in 1978, and I got the school to buy me those two units under the SJU logo. And remember that back then we had over 500 athletes with 27 sports including football. Talk about a madhouse!IMG_6168.jpegIMG_6169.jpeg

Last edited:
This sounds very encouraging. I anticipate contributing. Agree with BrookJersey Redmen's concern about the availability of unused land on the campus. Does the University aquire adjacent property when it is put up for sale?

Back