New College Sports Roster Limits Revealed / Yahoo Sports

Read where along with the expanded number of scholarships allowed they were going to do away with walk ons. Not sure what they finally decided.

Purdue and Indiana as part of BIG10 do get huge football checks from TV. Doesn't matter how many games you win. Not sure exact amount but it's in the 80 mill per range. They may have better hoop programs but football does indeed drive the bus. ACC gets pretty decent money too but nothing like BIG10 and SEC. Believe BIG12 is third place among Power 4.
Clemson and Florida State are suing to get out of the ACC because their revenue share is a pittance compared to the Big Ten and SEC

Doing away with walk-ons doesn't even seem legal.
Why? Roster limits are now set. If a coach can get 15 quality scholarship players, why would he need walk ons? Where is it any type of legality that you must have walkons or even tryouts? That was challenged in the 2010’s when Mullin chose not to have walkon tryouts. Jarvis and Lavins tryouts consisted of mile runs. If they could not meet a standard set for the scholarship guys, then they were not allowed to try out on the court.

The bigger question is how women’s basketball handles their “scout teams” made up of men. Presently they are counted as male athletes in the eyes of the NCAA, but not against our men’s team. That practice of having men practicing in the women’s programs might be done.

Some but most are “recruited” with monetary considerations (academic, grants, financial aid etc.).

If you follow College Football, you hear announcers sometimes talk about a teams placekicker being a walk-on, and playing for a top notch program. In actually, most are not walk-ons in the truest sense. They were recruited but with NIL, places like Bama are using NIL instead of scholarships for specialty positions (Punter, Kicker and Long Snapper as examples) and using the scholarships on other positions.

We actually did that last year with one of our players as we were one over the 13 scholarship limit.
I think this new rule takes away that loophole from the Power Five schools. Roster limits are set and all must be on scholarship. And with roster limits, that stops it from happening now in hoops. 15 scholarships and 15 players. Another point is how the NCAA considers the rare two sport athlete on scholarship. That gets trickier…remember Terry Bross on hoops scholarship but was also on baseball roster. Does that take a scholarship away from a potential baseball player. There are many two sport athletes in football and track here in the SEC.

I think this new rule takes away that loophole from the Power Five schools. Roster limits are set and all must be on scholarship. And with roster limits, that stops it from happening now in hoops. 15 scholarships and 15 players. Another point is how the NCAA considers the rare two sport athlete on scholarship. That gets trickier…remember Terry Bross on hoops scholarship but was also on baseball roster. Does that take a scholarship away from a potential baseball player. There are many two sport athletes in football and track here in the SEC.
I really don't understand what this all means. I have a close relative playing mid major D1 baseball, had a bunch of schools including some power 5 conference schools pursuing him, but discovered that most schools offer only 1/2 and quarter schollies for baseball. What's you take on this?

I really don't understand what this all means. I have a close relative playing mid major D1 baseball, had a bunch of schools including some power 5 conference schools pursuing him, but discovered that most schools offer only 1/2 and quarter schollies for baseball. What's you take on this?
That’s because prior to this new rule going into affect, D1 baseball only allowed 11.5 scholarships which was allowed to be among no more than 25 or 26 players but you could roster a total of 35 or so. Starting in the 2025/26 school year, all 25 will have to be on full scholarships, no more splitting.

That’s because prior to this new rule going into affect, D1 baseball only allowed 11.5 scholarships which was allowed to be among no more than 25 or 26 players but you could roster a total of 35 or so. Starting in the 2025/26 school year, all 25 will have to be on full scholarships, no more splitting.
Well, I get that, but I believe the outcome will be many schools dropping sports they can no longer support with full scholarships

Well, I get that, but I believe the outcome will be many schools dropping sports they can no longer support with full scholarships
Yes that has been heavily discussed. Why give out scholarships, especially to teams that never win (like our lax program). Can you imagine funding 48 scholarships? That’s one of the reasons we dropped football. We were in a conference that first awarded no athletic aid. Then when conference schools found out Wagner was using scholarships designated for other sports for their football program, the new agreement was limited athletic aid. Well that didn’t stop the cheaters from going over the limit.
So we and others left that conference and joined one that was again limited aid. But as things ramped up again, we found out other schools gave their football players fraudulent “academic” aid in financial aid packages. SJU refused to follow suit. So we then decided to drop football because of the Title lX challenges SJU was facing. Our Compliance office dropped the ball by not following the male/female ratio in awarding scholarships and opportunities for women.

I agree but a school like St. John’s doesn’t have that “luxury” as I believe we support the minimum (or are close to it) amount of men’s and women’s sports a school is required to support in order to maintain D1 status. Now if they get rid of that requirement, it would be a different story and I could see St. John’s chopping some programs but making sure that in the end they would still comply with Title IX.

And yes I can see where schools drop Olympic sports that are not part of the Big East Conference like Fencing, gymnastics, Rifle, crew/rowing and others that probably should be funded by their Olympic organization.

Yes that has been heavily discussed. Why give out scholarships, especially to teams that never win (like our lax program). Can you imagine funding 48 scholarships? That’s one of the reasons we dropped football. We were in a conference that first awarded no athletic aid. Then when conference schools found out Wagner was using scholarships designated for other sports for their football program, the new agreement was limited athletic aid. Well that didn’t stop the cheaters from going over the limit.
So we and others left that conference and joined one that was again limited aid. But as things ramped up again, we found out other schools gave their football players fraudulent “academic” aid in financial aid packages. SJU refused to follow suit. So we then decided to drop football because of the Title lX challenges SJU was facing. Our Compliance office dropped the ball by not following the male/female ratio in awarding scholarships and opportunities for women.
The Right Way, The Wrong Way and the St. John’s Way.

Clemson and Florida State are suing to get out of the ACC because their revenue share is a pittance compared to the Big Ten and SEC
Matter of time efore they win that. Surprised Miami isn't part of that. Talk about a college with resources. They've got some filthy rich alum.

D1 Bowling.... should take up less ships for us overall and is offered for both men & women.
We had bowling and dropped it during the purge along with Rifle (which competed every year in NCAAs), ice hockey, football, Men's XC, Men's indoor and outdoor track, men's diving, men's swimming, women's diving and women's swimming.

D1 Women's rowing increasing from 20 scholarships to 68.

Tell your daughters and granddaughters to start to row which offers the best opportunity for a girl to earn an academic preference or athletic scholarship over any other sport. Unfortunately, men's rowing scholarships are not as plentiful since men's college rowing is not an NCAA sport.

We should start a rowing team and call them the titanic’s

And yes I can see where schools drop Olympic sports that are not part of the Big East Conference like Fencing, gymnastics, Rifle, crew/rowing and others that probably should be funded by their Olympic organization.
Not our world renowned fencing team. Heck, we made headlines this weekend.

I've spent the better part of my life in New England, the home of boarding schools. Every one of the schools has crew teams. It's a rich kids activity, not a sport. Not one of these kids needs financial help. They row because mom & dad did. I would hope some school has the nuts to take these clowns to court. Who the hell are they to tell colleges who should and should not receive money. What do we tell the kid who stayed home and studied hard all through school without having the time to play a sport, because his family was poor and he worked after school every day. We should all remember how tough it was for some, even on this site.

Back