Moving Back To N.Y.??

Lived on LI all my life and have a home in a nice neighborhood in northwestern Nassau County. That said, unless you're financially well off and/or have really strong ties to the area (e.g., tight, supportive family or job opportunities much better in NY), it's hard for me to recommend to anyone to live on LI or in the surrounding parts and suburbs of NYC, given the the number of other alternatives across the country that give you more bang for the buck. Good luck with the decision.

We were very close to doing this ourselves a few years ago Bill. I'm sure you'll remember.
If not for our grandchildren living up here, we'd be retired in the Riverdale section of the Bronx.
Plenty of apartments available in the $1,000 range.
Don't make the mistake of buying a property.
You're cash will last a lifetime (that is the goal) and you're 30 minutes from Broadway, Central Park and the Garden.
You'll only need one car and you'll remember how great it is to live in a neighborhood where you can walk to everything.

I moved back to NY after living in Charlotte for 5 years. I'm probably not the best case study though since I was only early 20's and single.  

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. Sounds like I have forgotten some of the negatives (taxes, high prices, garbage piled high in Manhattan, etc...) I think instead of moving a good idea might be to spend a month in the mountains, shore, and make a few Fall/Winter trips to N.Y. I also blame Coach Lavin for this desire with what he has done.

We were very close to doing this ourselves a few years ago Bill. I'm sure you'll remember.
If not for our grandchildren living up here, we'd be retired in the Riverdale section of the Bronx.
Plenty of apartments available in the $1,000 range.
Don't make the mistake of buying a property.
You're cash will last a lifetime (that is the goal) and you're 30 minutes from Broadway, Central Park and the Garden.
You'll only need one car and you'll remember how great it is to live in a neighborhood where you can walk to everything.

Riverdale is a great area.

I love long Island but I see what friends of mine pay outside of NY for houses,taxes,living expenses etc and it freaking annoys me.

If Norm was still coach I'd probably have moved. lol

You guys living on LI, anywhere specifically that you'd recommend for a first time home buyer starting a family?
Either from your experience there, or places you'd look at now if you were doing things over again?

You guys living on LI, anywhere specifically that you'd recommend for a first time home buyer starting a family?
Either from your experience there, or places you'd look at now if you were doing things over again?

Huntington. I live there now.

As someone who grew up on LI, endured the fact that it has gotten to crowded, become neighborhoods full of stop signs, and over the top taxed, I say go to Charlotte. Cable will give you your NY sports, your kids will grow up to be ACC fans (at least hoops fans), and some family will eventually follow. It will be groundbreaking like the first family moving from the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn to Long Island but other family members will eventually follow. If you are lucky, North Shore and his wife will be smart enough not to move back to NY, but will move to Charolotte as your neighbor and you will both be able to discuss your other love, St John's hoops.

Agree with mjmaher. I live close to MJ and the Huntington/Northport area is really great. I'm just done with LI prices so decided its not for me any more. Will try my luck down in Charlotte. Beautiful 4000 sq/ft house for under 400k in one of the best areas. Property taxes $2900/yr. UNC state school system. Maybe I can even retire early if I make the right moves. Hey, maybe I'll start a Charlotte Red-white chapter. It's time to grow SJU's national reach like other schools do.

Agree with mjmaher. I live close to MJ and the Huntington/Northport area is really great. I'm just done with LI prices so decided its not for me any more. Will try my luck down in Charlotte. Beautiful 4000 sq/ft house for under 400k in one of the best areas. Property taxes $2900/yr. UNC state school system. Maybe I can even retire early if I make the right moves. Hey, maybe I'll start a Charlotte Red-white chapter. It's time to grow SJU's national reach like other schools do.

You have been talking of going down there for awhile now? When you pulling the trigger?

You have been talking of going down there for awhile now? When you pulling the trigger?

House goes on market in next few weeks. All the paperwork is in for my license in NC. It all depends on selling my house and getting back my licensure documents. Then I can get the ball rolling on the job situation.

Damn it's going to be strange not seeing MCN at a lot of the home games.

You going to be down there by the charleston classic time ?

K

Damn it's going to be strange not seeing MCN at a lot of the home games.

You going to be down there by the charleston classic time ?

Don't know yet. Working on it Mike. I wish I would be but doubt it with all the logistics involved. I still might try to make the Charleston Classic though.

The ideal solution for my wife and I who rely mainly on fixed income is to homestead in Florida where the taxes are ridiculously low for homesteaders, and to have a small one bedroom "crash pad" in NY, NJ so we can be with our grandkids during the summer months. This is what we are looking to do now if we can afford it.

The other advantage besides the lower cost of living is you have a much healthier economic climate in the Southeast which translates into stable tax rates over time. I believe NY State is on the verge of doing a Stockton California in the future, and their fate will rest on the feds to bail them out. Pension costs and NY State Educ. costs are totally out of control. In addition, unless estimates from Security firm watchers are wrong, taxable income from Wall St. is far below prior years which will reduce NY City and State tax receipts. We may see some emergency actions by Bloombert/Cuomo before next year is over.

The bad part of Florida; lousy pizza; no NY, NJ style rolls and butter, wating forever for your waiter at almost any restaurant, and no Carnessaa Fieldhouse to go to SJU home games. We are testing the waters now...

I disagree with you with regard to the pension liabilities of NY State. Unlike most states, their pension liabilities are fully funded. We are not talking Illinois or California here. 

friends of mine live in south ohio...house with a view of the ohio river and kentucky...property taxes are 400 dollars a YEAR. question is would you want to live in ohio with all your relatives a thousand miles plus elsewhere?

i'm retiring monday. we sold our huge house in rockland county where our taxes were 15 thousand dollars and moved to northern new jersey to something smaller and halved our taxes. our kids had moved out. at least we're close enough we can see them any time.

there are some great places to live...it's usually about family that's the deal breaker.

Fully funded meaning paid for and financially sound, and I fully agree with the logic of your statement.

But fully funded is a truth that does not explain the details. Our daughter is a teacher in NY and she pays only a small percent into her pension and med benefits and the rest is picked up by taxpayers. However you slice it, the taxpayers are responsible for the balance of the tab, and as more and more retire - at earlier ages that their privare sector workers - the tab gets bigger and bigger.

Its like a non drinker going to a bar wtih friends and picking up the total drinking and dining tab.

friends of mine live in south ohio...house with a view of the ohio river and kentucky...property taxes are 400 dollars a YEAR. question is would you want to live in ohio with all your relatives a thousand miles plus elsewhere?

i'm retiring monday. we sold our huge house in rockland county where our taxes were 15 thousand dollars and moved to northern new jersey to something smaller and halved our taxes. our kids had moved out. at least we're close enough we can see them any time.

there are some great places to live...it's usually about family that's the deal breaker.

First and foremost to Newsie, congrats on the retirement, glad you can escape the madness of FNC. I've got at least 10 years to get the kids out and self sufficient I think. Can't Wait!

Re moving to/from NY we moved to LA due to a job transfer. Cost of living was the same if not higher but the taxes much lower (which is a major reason why the state is in such a financial hole) so it's not really that similar to the escapes most others have done/are planning.

At first we thought it was temporary but my wife became allergic to winter and, unlike most here, I like being 2500 miles from my family. We have frequent visitors, get home for at least one holiday/major event/family reunion each year and have the rest of our weekends each year where we don't have to worry about attending a relatives birthday dinner. My mom winters in Palm Springs as well so we have local family for 10 weeks each year.

I was raised on LI but can't see living there any more. When we moved to North Shore/Central Suffolk in '67 (I was 5) it was a peaceful escape. Now the island is so congested it's like a city without city benefits. Some really great parts but too much driving/traffic through awful parts to get there. Will follow Newsies model and sell when we retire and find a cheaper place to live. House was overpriced I thought when I bought it but even in this climate it's worth twice what I paid for it. When it gets back up near $1mill (west side real estate is insane, my old house in Hartsdale is about the same sq ft, etc but worth half as much) I might even sell early and go off the grid. Unofortunately all the cheap places folks are talking about to live seem to be unwelcoming for an atheist bleeding heart city slicker like myself. ; )

Back