Moving Back To N.Y.??

NorthShore

R.I.P.
 Has anyone ever moved back to N.Y. after being away for awhile. We are deciding if we have had enough of the state that is home to Casey Anthony, etc... We visited NY last Summer by car and everything was moving so quickly. One of the positives would be St. John's sports. Any thoughts??

I'm still trying to leave NY. Its a great place but too expensive here. Lots of people move to Florida and either move back or halfway back up to the Carolina's hence the term "halfbacks". Im looking to leave the expense and rat race that lower Ny is, probably for Charlotte NC. Why are you thinking about coming back? 

Hi!! In all honesty, if I could move to the Galway area of Ireland I would do that. I do not get along with hot, humid weather and there is 6 months of that here. That is part of my makeup and some of my medical issues. I was just wondering if people have done it. I think after five years all I remember are the good things about N.Y. and none of the reasons we originally moved here. It is great in the Winter and we will spend this Winter here for sure. I am working on getting my business off the ground down here, but I can run it from anywhere as long as I have Internet access. Hope to see you for a Soccer game this year.

Hi!! In all honesty, if I could move to the Galway area of Ireland I would do that. I do not get along with hot, humid weather and there is 6 months of that here. That is part of my makeup and some of my medical issues. I was just wondering if people have done it. I think after five years all I remember are the good things about N.Y. and none of the reasons we originally moved here. It is great in the Winter and we will spend this Winter here for sure. I am working on getting my business off the ground down here, but I can run it from anywhere as long as I have Internet access. Hope to see you for a Soccer game this year.

Bill,

My cousin just moved back from Miami. The law firm he was working at was able to transfer him to their New York Office. Of course, he's only 26 years old, so I think it was "no sweat" for him.

I'll tell you this. In the mid-90s, my aunt was forced to move to Atlanta, when her husband's job took them there (they had one child together). A year later, she was divorced, and back on LI with her son. 

I have a home in Jensen Beach, Fl which I had built in 2003. I am able to spend the winter months in Florida, as well as another month or two through out the years. I guess I am what they call a "snowbird". Fortunately for me my profession allows me to do this as a self-employed. I dont think I would prefer spending the entire year in Florida with my friends and children in the NY area. Being without family around me is not what I prefer to do!!!! 

Personally, I would move to Orange County for being in the area. Tax/house reasonable especially if it's not you perm home.  

Family is a big deal to me and that is another reason I am probably hankering to maybe move back. Wish I could do the Snowbird thing.

I moved to scottsdale AZ in 1992 and moved back in 2000 due to family health issue ( my father in law had prostate cancer he died from 5 years later). Was worth coming back to be close to family even though i like scottsdale better. The schools in the northeast are top notch compared to what they have. We do pay alot more tax though. My state tax doubled coming back. Mostly you need to get used to the cost of everything here all over again. Someday ill get out again when the kids are done with school. But i liked moving back to Long Island

Bill,

My cousin just moved back from Miami. The law firm he was working at was able to transfer him to their New York Office. Of course, he's only 26 years old, so I think it was "no sweat" for him.

I'll tell you this. In the mid-90s, my aunt was forced to move to Atlanta, when her husband's job took them there (they had one child together). A year later, she was divorced, and back on LI with her son. 

Thanks Mike, We originally moved her to be near my In-Laws as my wife is an only child. They have since passed on and there is nothing that is really keeping us down here. I work independently and my wife works for a franchised tutoring center. Maybe with all of my NY friends reversing the talk last Winter and saying how it wasn't bad got in my head too. I think we miss September through Christmas in N.Y.

Hey Mark, We will be in Gainesville from the 18th through the 22nd. Might get back a little earlier. Maybe a ThreeGs lunch? :)

Being from the NS of LI, I can totally understand where you are coming from. We moved to WI for 3 years in the 90's and for the last 13 years have lived in the Philly burbs.
That might a good sugestion for you. Get close to NY Metro area, but not in it. CT, NJ, PA all good places to live. Slighly better cost of living, and hop on a train and be in NYC in 60-120 minutes depending on where you settle in.

We miss NY as well, but going back 4-5 times per year seems to help us get our fix. Good luck with your decision.

Being from the NS of LI, I can totally understand where you are coming from. We moved to WI for 3 years in the 90's and for the last 13 years have lived in the Philly burbs.
That might a good sugestion for you. Get close to NY Metro area, but not in it. CT, NJ, PA all good places to live. Slighly better cost of living, and hop on a train and be in NYC in 60-120 minutes depending on where you settle in.

We miss NY as well, but going back 4-5 times per year seems to help us get our fix. Good luck with your decision.

Interesting thoughts. Will definitely look into that. Thanks.

I'm probably in a little bit of a different position; but here's my perspective as a 29 year old who's in the process of deciding where to buy our first house. Because we talk about some of these same issues.
We both have family here, yet how do you balance being close to family and friends versus the cost and style of living? To me that's really at the heart of any decision to move. That, and how your job fits into the picture, but it sounds like that's not an issue for your family thankfully.

It's hard to do, but can you put a price on what being close to family and friends is worth to you? Because for me at least, I look at homes on LI, or in NJ, and I see the same house in a similar neighborhood in Charlotte or even Maryland and they're selling for $150k less. And the property taxes are just slightly more than half of what I would pay here in the metro area.

So, while it's never all about money, to some degree you need to be able to compare apples to apples, no? Do I want to live near my family (and hers), in a smaller home, and enjoy the NY I grew up in? Or, do I want, for example, 1000 more sq feet, in a newer home, but out-of-state ?

I haven't found an answer yet. So if you do, let me know. But I think anybody comparing two places to live has to find a way to put a value on something that's not naturally quantitative. Not sure if that helps, but that's what I've been mulling over lately myself.
Good luck with your decision.  

Family is a big deal to me and that is another reason I am probably hankering to maybe move back. Wish I could do the Snowbird thing.

If you're HANKERING sounds like you best stay down south. :) :) :) Just kidding I appreciate your dilemma as I am a life long NYer as is my wife but daughter and grandchildren moved down south some years ago and want us to join them. What to do? 
If they were in Tuscaloosa would be easy decision. :)

Hey Mark, We will be in Gainesville from the 18th through the 22nd. Might get back a little earlier. Maybe a ThreeGs lunch? :)

Sure thing. You don't have to twist my arm to have lunch at Three G's. PM your phone number. I'll call you to arrange

PA has really affordable housing and really isnt too far from NYC. Easton is less than 60 miles from Staten Island. Have a house in the Poconos and its super cheap to live and we all the NYC tv stations. Your dllar goes a lot farther there than it does in NYC. I believe our house was $125,00 fully furnished detatched  ranch with a driveway and a. Nice alternative to the city with relatively easy access to the city.

I'm probably in a little bit of a different position; but here's my perspective as a 29 year old who's in the process of deciding where to buy our first house. Because we talk about some of these same issues.
We both have family here, yet how do you balance being close to family and friends versus the cost and style of living? To me that's really at the heart of any decision to move. That, and how your job fits into the picture, but it sounds like that's not an issue for your family thankfully.

It's hard to do, but can you put a price on what being close to family and friends is worth to you? Because for me at least, I look at homes on LI, or in NJ, and I see the same house in a similar neighborhood in Charlotte or even Maryland and they're selling for $150k less. And the property taxes are just slightly more than half of what I would pay here in the metro area.

So, while it's never all about money, to some degree you need to be able to compare apples to apples, no? Do I want to live near my family (and hers), in a smaller home, and enjoy the NY I grew up in? Or, do I want, for example, 1000 more sq feet, in a newer home, but out-of-state ?

I haven't found an answer yet. So if you do, let me know. But I think anybody comparing two places to live has to find a way to put a value on something that's not naturally quantitative. Not sure if that helps, but that's what I've been mulling over lately myself.
Good luck with your decision.  

Fwiw, I really liked Charlotte. Low cost of living, great housing selection and low taxes. Charlotte a newer city, but has plenty of amenities. Lots of LI'ers moving down there. Good state school system for the kids and only 3-4 hours or so from places like Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Hilton Head etc. I'm actually planning to move despite my family being up here. Will miss them, but the possibility of financial freedom vs working for the rest of my life up here is too great. Young people growing up in NY now will continue to flock from LI and surrounding areas simply because the cost is too great for most new grads.

Hi> I moved to Virginia after graduating from ST. John's, and spent the next 30years there. When I retired I moved to Brevard County Florida, And spend most of the year here. I loved New York as a child and young adult. But basically, I am a beach person. Nine months of beach is better than Three. I always enjoy visiting NYC but cannot envision ever returning to live there.  

I had a pharmacy in Mineola, Long Island where I met my wife.I was quite a St John's fan and attended many basketball games. Madison Square Garden, and Carnesecca Arena, which was then called Alumni Hall. I loved basketall so much I then became charter president of the Redmen Club. which is now called the Red & White Club. In l981 we moved to Marco Island, Florida which we loved.In l998 we moved to Greensboro, North Carolina to be close to my brother and sister and their families.I don't think I would move back to New York..

Back