Mike Cragg Message

No question Repole was not coming back till we had a Pitino caliber coach
Remove the "caliber" and we agree.

Two Italian-Americans with a love of college BB and a love of the ponies, and cut from somewhat the same cloth. Self-made men with a lot of ambition and drive. Not lacking in the ego department.

The good thing is with Pitino here now and Repole back in the fold maybe the repairs have been made and we'll be solidly in MR's corner into the future.

If, however, we replace CRP with someone MR doesn't like, watch out!

A 50 year old Pitino without the dings to his rep wouldn't have wanted this job nor would we pay him market value.
indisputable, fell into our laps thanks to Greece and the good Irish Christian brothers.
In 30 years which coach did we hire with high d1 success and an unblemished reputation? None
I was always a Steve Lavin fan, it depends on the definition of high D-1 success, UCLA is high D-1, but Steve did have an unblemished reputation.

His successor not so much.

My use of the word idiot was admittedly too strong.

But I absolutely stand by my comment that the day Pitino arrived at SJU was the luckiest day of Cragg’s life. Up to that point, the men’s basketball program, which is the linchpin of the entire athletic department, was going nowhere fast. Cragg was at the helm during the search to replace Mullin, he approved Anderson’s insanely weak OOC schedule, he extended Anderson’s contract prematurely and then fired him --for cause—just two years later. All of which resulted in a multi-million-dollar lawsuit from Anderson, which the school has an excellent chance of losing. Meanwhile, ticket sales were stagnant and the fan base remained depressed.

Pitino has breathed life into the program (thanks to Shanley bringing him here) and Cragg is along for the ride. Good for him, but a "great leader" he is not.
Wasn’t it Cragg who wanted to bring in Hurley and was overruled?

The start of the turnaround in SJU basketball starts with the hiring of Cragg. Is he perfect, no. The hiring of Mike Anderson was disappointing, but he's gone. Overall, Cragg has been terrific.

The start of the turnaround in SJU basketball starts with the hiring of Cragg. Is he perfect, no. The hiring of Mike Anderson was disappointing, but he's gone. Overall, Cragg has been terrific.
Let's face it many of us where thrilled rob have an Anderson caliber coach (or the caliber we thought always a winning record fun up tempo basketball. What we got was a cup cake schedule that we lost a few too and no coaching just here's a balll go play mentality). Many were calling for craggs head 2 years ago now you all love him... make up your minds lol). Dragged nothing to do with rp coming it was all our Heavenly Father !!!!!

Our fans have to realize that st. John's is not the most desirable place for an experienced coach to work. A 50 year old Pitino without the dings to his rep wouldn't have wanted this job nor would we pay him market value.

In 30 years which coach did we hire with high d1 success and an unblemished reputation? None

Agreed, that was kind of the point of the second half of my silly post.

Again to be fair, there were a lot of posters on this board who were very high on CMA after that year and were at least neutral, if not positive, on the extension. I'm not technically proficient enough to pull back all those posts but really don't recall a majority being vehemently opposed to it.
I think you could have stopped at "there were a lot of posters on the board who were very high."

He already called engineering in about 2-3 years ago. It cannot be done. Building was not designed for cooling. 60 year old building without a Finneran ($65 million) in sight towards a $100 million Pavillion makeover.

Shanley is leading a new capital find raising campaign withnahtletic facilities project rolled in. Villanova's goal in 2014 (their prior capital campaign) was $600 million which they easily hit within 6 months. The goal hasn't been made public yet but I'd imagine at least $500 million.

indisputable, fell into our laps thanks to Greece and the good Irish Christian brothers.

I was always a Steve Lavin fan, it depends on the definition of high D-1 success, UCLA is high D-1, but Steve did have an unblemished reputation.

His successor not so much.
Steve Lavin's rep as a coach took a big hit as almost anyone who took the job post Wooden did. He won enough to please many programs, but not enough to please UCLA. The Sweet 16 would thrill us, but for UCLA their expectations make that a very low bar. Final Fours and national championships count there. Lavin's success there was viewed as a by product of the great UCLA tradition, and little to do with him. So he was fired, and not hired until we got him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Lavin a lot. He had success here, but as a Californian, never seemed too upset that we didn't win an NCAA game, never competed past the first round of the BET etc. We never had a balanced team that he built, etc.

It’s similar to the Tennessee women’s basketball coach Kellie Harper. She just got fired after going 108-52 and three consecutive Sweet Sixteen appearances, this year losing to Final Four NC State. Tough to follow legends like Wooden and Pat Summit.
AH, unrelated, from your training experience is there any best practice methodology for treating shin splints post season or is this often chronic with some guys? Obviously I am wondering what is best approach to help RJ Luis get on court & practice more consistently going forward. The last two seasons he has been injured a lot, although at UMass I am not sure if it was shin related. Thx

AH, unrelated, from your training experience is there any best practice methodology for treating shin splints post season or is this often chronic with some guys? Obviously I am wondering what is best approach to help RJ Luis get on court & practice more consistently going forward. The last two seasons he has been injured a lot, although at UMass I am not sure if it was shin related. Thx
I have my thoughts, but in this venue, it’s better that I keep my sports med knowledge and experience off this board.

I have my thoughts, but in this venue, it’s better that I keep my sports med knowledge and experience off this board.
But if there is one person who you all should follow on Instagram and X is my former assistant AT Marty Jaramillo. He was part of my staff in the 80's and was then on staff with the Knicks for several years and is regarded as a leading sports physical therapist in America. He was chosen to be ESPN's first college football injury/sports expert contributing to College Game Day as well as the national game of the week in 2023-24. This year Marty is on CBS Sports giving his sports medicine expertise on all college and pro sports. He is also a long time season tickets holder and Red White member!
Mjsportspt on Instagram and @mjsportspt on X.
Screenshot_20240404-115137.jpgScreenshot_20240404-115256.jpg

But if there is one person who you all should follow on Instagram and X is my former assistant AT Marty Jaramillo. He was part of my staff in the 80's and was then on staff with the Knicks for several years and is regarded as a leading sports physical therapist in America. He was chosen to be ESPN's first college football injury/sports expert contributing to College Game Day as well as the national game of the week in 2023-24. This year Marty is on CBS Sports giving his sports medicine expertise on all college and pro sports. He is also a long time season tickets holder and Red White member!
Mjsportspt on Instagram and @mjsportspt on X.
View attachment 2549View attachment 2548
Thx a lot AH

Back