Mike Cragg Message

Otis, Cragg made arguably the worst financial hire in the history of St. John's University, and called it "a home run hire" on top of it. Before the "home run hire" even coached a game, Cragg decided that it would be a good idea to hike season ticket prices by 30%, resulting in a reduction in season ticket renewals Then,
to top it all off, he compounded those 2 blunders by adding a multi-million dollar extension to the "home run hire's" contract before the "home run hire" accomplished anything of consequence. None of those things had anything to do with a lack of funding, and everything to do with a lack of acumen.

If not for the hiring of Fr. Shanley, which resulted in the hiring of Rick Pitino, which resulted in bringing Mike Repole back in to the fold(something Cragg could have never done on his own), I'm not so sure that Cragg would still be our AD today.

I met the man, he's a very nice guy, but let's not confuse him with Red Auerbach.
For the record, Cragg has been the ONLY person to maintain a relationship with Mike Repole throughout his estrangement from the rest of the university. Other than his relationship with CRP through horseracing, no one at st.. John's is closer to Mike Repole than Mike Cragg and Mike quietly kept the lines of communication open even after Repole moved to Florida. NIL created a pathway for Repole to support the team without re-engaging with trustees and other administrators and Cragg's relationship with Repole helped connect the dots there.

Your post has no basis in fact except your take on outward appearrances. Even in the dark vitriolic days between Repole and the BOT, Cragg maintained that friendship and continues to grow the relationship. I cannot say more than this but good stuff is happening.

For the record, Cragg has been the ONLY person to maintain a relationship with Mike Repole throughout his estrangement from the rest of the university. Other than his relationship with CRP through horseracing, no one at st.. John's is closer to Mike Repole than Mike Cragg and Mike quietly kept the lines of communication open even after Repole moved to Florida. NIL created a pathway for Repole to support the team without re-engaging with trustees and other administrators and Cragg's relationship with Repole helped connect the dots there.

Your post has no basis in fact except your take on outward appearrances. Even in the dark vitriolic days between Repole and the BOT, Cragg maintained that friendship and continues to grow the relationship. I cannot say more than this but good stuff is happening.
I don't know what went on behind the scenes, nor do I frankly care. I am and always have been a result oriented person. Cragg may have stayed "friendly" with Repole, but Repole came back in to the fold when Pitino was hired. You don't get paid for smooching, you get paid for results.

Let me give you the dating equivalent of what you just posted:
Friend A: what happened with that gorgeous woman you met at the bar two weeks ago
Friend B; we've been talking regularly
Friend A: any plans to go on a date?
Friend B: not right now, she's to busy, but I'm keeping the communication channels open

Two weeks later:
Friend A: Any progress?
Friend B: She told me she's seeing some guy from UCF

Spin it anyway you want, Pitino and Repole are not here if the school doesn't make possibly the smartest hire ever in Fr. Shanley. Does that mean that the BOT didn't have to sign off on the hire? I'm sure that they did, but Shanley got it started and got it done.

So you're agreeing with my first paragraph which agreed with your previous post. Thanks. ;)

To be fair, I do recall in the Repole rant against the powers that be at SJU during Francesa interview he excepted Cragg from his criticism.

Last edited:
To be fair, I do recall in the Repole rant against the powers that be at SJU during Francesa interview he excepted Cragg from his criticism.
I was listening to Francesa's show when Mike R came on. Mike F. egged Repole on. It was a hoot, but some things that were said were out of bounds.

It is no wonder that it took a lot of water under the bridge to repair the relationship.

I'm with Monte, forget 'behind the scenes and Cragg', true or not, one thing is clear, Mike R is NOT back without CRP.

Thank you Fr. Shaley, and a Bronx cheer to some BOT members and Ex. VP and GC.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes, nor do I frankly care. I am and always have been a result oriented person. Cragg may have stayed "friendly" with Repole, but Repole came back in to the fold when Pitino was hired. You don't get paid for smooching, you get paid
One of MC's chief responsibilities at Duke was fund raising for basketball. Duke basketball I believe, raised $35 million annually in donations. Fund raising is in Mike's blood and MC is a relationship guy. The BOT were really irate at Repole, with good reason, but for Cragg, he knew the value of Repole as a donor. Beyond that, Mike is a relationship guy. You want to play ignorant and give Father Shanley credit for everything, give FS credit for extending CMA, because that decision came from the top and everyone was pleased with it at the time.

Yes, Repole said highly positive things about Cragg during the Francessa call and said something akin to "Spend the money to hire (the wrong) Hurley.

No question Repole was not coming back till we had a Pitino caliber coach but cragg deserves credit for keeping communications lines open. I can't complete the thought without disclosing inside info but stuff is going on that would be unlikely without Cragg

One of MC's chief responsibilities at Duke was fund raising for basketball. Duke basketball I believe, raised $35 million annually in donations. Fund raising is in Mike's blood and MC is a relationship guy. The BOT were really irate at Repole, with good reason, but for Cragg, he knew the value of Repole as a donor. Beyond that, Mike is a relationship guy. You want to play ignorant and give Father Shanley credit for everything, give FS credit for extending CMA, because that decision came from the top and everyone was pleased with it at the time.

Yes, Repole said highly positive things about Cragg during the Francessa call and said something akin to "Spend the money to hire (the wrong) Hurley.

No question Repole was not coming back till we had a Pitino caliber coach but cragg deserves credit for keeping communications lines open. I can't complete the thought without disclosing inside info but stuff is going on that would be unlikely without Cragg
Who is "everyone" who was pleased with it? Because, at the time, I thought it was one of the stupidest business moves that I had ever seen, and over the years I've seen a lot. Right up there with the NBA's decision to pay the old Spirits of St Louis owners off for perpetuity(since settled) to avoid a lawsuit. I can tell you this much, if I was a BOT member I would have fought tooth and nail against it. Maybe Shanley signed off on it, but I'll assume it was Cragg's idea.

Who is "everyone" who was pleased with it? Because, at the time, I thought it was one of the stupidest business moves that I had ever seen, and over the years I've seen a lot. Right up there with the NBA's decision to pay the old Spirits of St Louis owners off for perpetuity(since settled) to avoid a lawsuit. I can tell you this much, if I was a BOT member I would have fought tooth and nail against it. Maybe Shanley signed off on it, but I'll assume it was Cragg's idea.

I think he meant everyone in the administration but I could be wrong. No doubt there were plenty questioning the decision here as coming too soon.

I think he meant everyone in the administration but I could be wrong. No doubt there were plenty questioning the decision here as coming too soon.
Well then shame on the administration.

Again to be fair, there were a lot of posters on this board who were very high on CMA after that year and were at least neutral, if not positive, on the extension. I'm not technically proficient enough to pull back all those posts but really don't recall a majority being vehemently opposed to it.

I mist have missed your support icon. You're here enough to know how sick the owner is. How many hours do you think Paul put in over the years and at what hourly rate would you put his time at? Plus hardware, software, hosting costs.

Please take a hike
Can you two kids act like adults? First we can all enjoy this site but like me don't have the excess funds but have graciously put forth my effort to be a moderator to help support . Second bashing another poster blatantly is not called for

Again to be fair, there were a lot of posters on this board who were very high on CMA after that year and were at least neutral, if not positive, on the extension. I'm not technically proficient enough to pull back all those posts but really don't recall a majority being vehemently opposed to it.

No, not opposed. Just wondering why now?

Fundraising for Duke basketball is probably as challenging as selling beer at a UConn game.

St. John’s AD Mike Cragg joins the podcast to discuss the selection committee leaving the Red Storm out of the field of 68, season one of Rick Pitino in Queens, basketball facility project, and what’s ahead next season and beyond

No, not opposed. Just wondering why now?
The why now I'm certain was that we had a 61 yr old.coach who had just won Big East coach of the year in his second year who with 2 years remaining on his contract at the least deserved an extension. Considering that after 30 years post Looie we felt we finally had a stable program to build on with a rock solid coach who could develop players. I believe that Shanley initiated the extension narrative, and the braintrust of Oliva, Cragg, and Bill J. agreed. Hindsight is 20/20 but with an agent whoncpuld have gotten a 5 or 6 b year deal at a higher salary for Anderson at that point it made sense to ALL decision makers at St. John's. Of clurse it didn't work.out.

Our fans have to realize that st. John's is not the most desirable place for an experienced coach to work. A 50 year old Pitino without the dings to his rep wouldn't have wanted this job nor would we pay him market value.

In 30 years which coach did we hire with high d1 success and an unblemished reputation? None

SJU never hired a coach who demanded what the job should pay in its history until Lavin. They always hired the assistant or mid major successful coach and were successful for many years because of the fertile recruiting area in NYC.
Then Mahoney started the slide.

SJU never hired a coach who demanded what the job should pay in its history until Lavin. They always hired the assistant or mid major successful coach and were successful for many years because of the fertile recruiting area in NYC.
Then Mahoney started the slide.
When Frank McGuire left for North Carolina they paid him somewhere around $7500. Sju wouldnt raise him from the $5500 he was getting paid. Looie agreed never to make more than the sju president. I think he maxed out at 125k. When I worked at sju guys in i.t. would tell a story that when Looie and Cahill hit $100k, the payroll systemnwent down because it couldn't process more than 5 digit total salary.

When Looie left to coach the Nets, assistant Mulzoff was made HC, he was paid $18000, which is what tenured faculty made.

When Looie retired in 92, nobody wanted the job. Sju thought every coach in America would apply, but in the end a few just told them hire Mahoney. The school thought basketball could run on the sju brand alone. They were wrong.

Back