Mike Anderson - Former Coach

So much of the above is wrong.
Since your response is brief but strong, you appear to have an expertise here. I'd be interested in the specifics of what you believe is wrong and what your qualifications are to be so assertive. I'm presuming you are an attorney who specializes in labor law or employment conracts.

Last edited:
Forget the facts.

At the end, it will all boil down t0
the highest common denominator $$$$$$$ !

The most appropriate lawyer here is
a tax lawyer/CPA.

Taxing problem (sorry) !

Van Gundy relates to his own experience with players regarding trumped up charges (pardon the political pun).

There seems to be a lot more than the mediocre won-loss record that was the basis for team dysfunction.
Perhaps when on top of his game, CMA was able to prepare and coach our "average talent" to wins and close losses to Uconn and Marquette. Perhaps some players tuned coach out as was evident in many time-outs.
Nothing good ever seemed to happen after our time-outs.

I trust that coach Pitino had serious discussions about what was going on with players he was inheriting after Pitino told Van what he wanted in his players.

Only the departures of Posh and Storr are disappointing and it is now clear that Pitino asked both to stay. Neither was willing to take the risk of demotion. Sad that players run from a challenge but they have a right to do what they and their advisors see as their best opportunity basketball-wise. Notice how academics is never the reason given.

This is the most exciting time for true fans of the "program". We begin tabula rasa. We have a master professor and the entrance requirements to his class just got upgraded. Down the road a year, we will offer every 5 and 4 star player early. We will go after the best transfers.
We will compete in the NIL race. We are St. John's.
We are New York City!

So true about some players obviously ignoring CMA during
time outs.

If you don't respect the coach, among other things, all
bad, it hurts team camaraderie. It's like team poison.

Watch the attentiveness at RC's time outs.

So many factors go into being a great coach
and respect is way up there.

Craziest thing is that from an average fans point of view he looked like he was representing the school well and that he was being a good ambassador for SJU and that the kids liked his style.

After Curbelo went Curbelo I had a pause but I figured it was just an eccentric kid, playing a street style and maybe the lone issue with attitude.

CMA had lost the team early in the year as they never bought in, he even said as much, JVG and others need to do their jobs and stick to things they know about and that is not the inner workings of the SJU locker room.

Unless you know the wording of CMAs contract, which I doubt, especially the provisions concerning grounds for termination, I suggest we wait to see the outcome of the arbitration.
One thing St. John's has experience with is with hiring highly compensated men's basketball coaches. You are correct that every contract typically has specific language that was agreed to in writing, and it's possible that Coach Anderson violated one or more of them. I would presume that that since Anderson had signed major contracts with Missouri and Arkansas prior to the initial contract and subsequent extension at St. John's that he was well represented, and would not sign a contract that exposed him to subjective judgment of his handling of players or assistant coaches. It's my understanding that the attorney he has engaged for this dispute handled Kevin Ollie's claim against UCONN.

In my career, I have negotiated employment contracts for highly compensated individuals, some with explicit severance terms for termination without cause, and had to terminate several of them. I would not purport to have a specific expertise greater than an attorney who specifically negotiates employment agreements, and have been guided through terminations by skilled HR leaders. I had two firms representing my companies - one led by an attorney who was at or near the top of his SJU law class and was a member of Law Review, and a second firm whose attorney assigned to me was a Harvard grad. I learned something from them with each interaction. Needless to say, I always felt well represented, even when negotiating large state contracts against teams of attorneys. Even with two top attorneys representing my company, when we became embroiled in a baseless dispute over wrongful termination, the dispute was handed to an associate attorney within his firm who specific lengthy expertise in labot law and subsequent disputes.

If SJU has a strong legal case, it would be my hope that they outsource contracts of this magnitude to those skilled in negotiating contracts with highly paid athletic coaches. I do know that as this fell apart there were internal concerns about owing large sums of money to Anderson should they terminate him.

The short of it is I claim no significant expertise in the matter of employment disputes greater than employment attorneys, but know enough about the situation here to be concerned that SJU had better have a great case lest they be liable for damages, interest, and at minimum paying Anderson and his legal fees.

Finally, I would say that I have met Coach Anderson and his lovely wife Marcheita on dozens of occasions over the past four years. While I cannot attest to what he did or did not do behind the scenes, I always found him and Marcheita to be gracious, warm, wonderful ambassadors for the university in all ways. I would be greatly surprised if any of the allegations against him reach the standard for "Termination with Cause" but in one sense hope they are true, because I would be embarrassed for the University leaders who pursued a baseless smear should that be the case.

This is my last post on the subject. My somewhat informed assessment would be bad coach, really good man.

One thing St. John's has experience with is with hiring highly compensated men's basketball coaches. You are correct that every contract typically has specific language that was agreed to in writing, and it's possible that Coach Anderson violated one or more of them. I would presume that that since Anderson had signed major contracts with Missouri and Arkansas prior to the initial contract and subsequent extension at St. John's that he was well represented, and would not sign a contract that exposed him to subjective judgment of his handling of players or assistant coaches. It's my understanding that the attorney he has engaged for this dispute handled Kevin Ollie's claim against UCONN.

In my career, I have negotiated employment contracts for highly compensated individuals, some with explicit severance terms for termination without cause, and had to terminate several of them. I would not purport to have a specific expertise greater than an attorney who specifically negotiates employment agreements, and have been guided through terminations by skilled HR leaders. I had two firms representing my companies - one led by an attorney who was at or near the top of his SJU law class and was a member of Law Review, and a second firm whose attorney assigned to me was a Harvard grad. I learned something from them with each interaction. Needless to say, I always felt well represented, even when negotiating large state contracts against teams of attorneys. Even with two top attorneys representing my company, when we became embroiled in a baseless dispute over wrongful termination, the dispute was handed to an associate attorney within his firm who specific lengthy expertise in labot law and subsequent disputes.

If SJU has a strong legal case, it would be my hope that they outsource contracts of this magnitude to those skilled in negotiating contracts with highly paid athletic coaches. I do know that as this fell apart there were internal concerns about owing large sums of money to Anderson should they terminate him.

The short of it is I claim no significant expertise in the matter of employment disputes greater than employment attorneys, but know enough about the situation here to be concerned that SJU had better have a great case lest they be liable for damages, interest, and at minimum paying Anderson and his legal fees.

Finally, I would say that I have met Coach Anderson and his lovely wife Marcheita on dozens of occasions over the past four years. While I cannot attest to what he did or did not do behind the scenes, I always found him and Marcheita to be gracious, warm, wonderful ambassadors for the university in all ways. I would be greatly surprised if any of the allegations against him reach the standard for "Termination with Cause" but in one sense hope they are true, because I would be embarrassed for the University leaders who pursued a baseless smear should that be the case.

This is my last post on the subject. My somewhat informed assessment would be bad coach, really good man.
I doubt many on this site would disagree with your last sentence.

No longer care about anything anderson or related to anderson. He is gone good riddance. Whether he gets paid or not, IM NOT so it doesnt matter to me ROFL

Well you care enough read and reply to posts on his dedicated thread. ;)

Any progress on settling CMA’s contractual situation?

Out of pure curiosity does anyone know of the status of the Anderson lawsuit against sju? Any former players speaking out against our former coach ? I know who cares let's move on but would love to see where the dust settled on that

Fyi....there is already current thread for Mike Anderson and a poster recently shared a similar inquiry. There hasn't been any recent news and I would expect it will take quite some time for the case to unfold. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is ultimately a settlement that includes an agreement that neither side will comment.

As for former players, they have been first class. To my knowledge, there has been no shots taken at CMA or the school. Joel was originally very supportive of CMA which, in my opinion, was appropriate and measured. Good for those young men. Taking the high road is not a skill those in their 20s often posses. At least, it wasn't for me.

Fyi....there is already current thread for Mike Anderson and a poster recently shared a similar inquiry. There hasn't been any recent news and I would expect it will take quite some time for the case to unfold. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is ultimately a settlement that includes an agreement that neither side will comment.

As for former players, they have been first class. To my knowledge, there has been no shots taken at CMA or the school. Joel was originally very supportive of CMA which, in my opinion, was appropriate and measured. Good for those young men. Taking the high road is not a skill those in their 20s often posses. At least, it wasn't for me.
More and more no matter the age of the person, taking the “high road“ seems to be a lost art.

I’m no Lawyer but , I predict a out of Court Settlement . This case will never get to a Court Room . .

First of all , the University’s Insurance Company will not let it go to a Judge or Jury .

Both sides , will give some and it will be settled with both Parties sworn to Confidentiality .

I’m no Lawyer but , I predict a out of Court Settlement . This case will never get to a Court Room . .

First of all , the University’s Insurance Company will not let it go to a Judge or Jury .

Both sides , will give some and it will be settled with both Parties sworn to Confidentiality .
Most are settled obviously

Back