Masur gets 3 studs

I've been around youth soccer for many years, having had two sons play the game, and been a travel coach for many years. It seems to me that its not about which school you went to but what travel program you were part of and what regional or national team you were on. High school soccer is only a few months out of the school year, but your travel team, regional or national team is year round, and while a college coach won't be able to see you play because your seasons run concurrently they will be able to see the non school teams at other parts of the year. My nephew is a highly thought of junior who plays on a powerhouse high school team and an academy team. He was told to choose between his academy team and his high school team, which means play soccer during the school season only or play with his academy team year round. Not much of a choice if he hopes to get a scholarship.There's much more exposure on the non high school team, though the high school teams get the press. All those highly toutedhigh school players play on outside teams which is where they get their skills and better coaching. I know a local high school coach who took credit for his team finishing first in its conference without giving credit to the local soccer club who taught those kids how to play the game before he ever got them on his team.I guess my point is that these kids have developed skills and have learned how to play the game before they ever got to high school.
 Couldn't agree more. I can't remember a college ever being at one of my HS games unless maybe it was the playoffs and we were playing a team like Holy Cross. Other than that, it was the travel teams where I got my exposure and intros to coaches.

I've been around youth soccer for many years, having had two sons play the game, and been a travel coach for many years. It seems to me that its not about which school you went to but what travel program you were part of and what regional or national team you were on. High school soccer is only a few months out of the school year, but your travel team, regional or national team is year round, and while a college coach won't be able to see you play because your seasons run concurrently they will be able to see the non school teams at other parts of the year. My nephew is a highly thought of junior who plays on a powerhouse high school team and an academy team. He was told to choose between his academy team and his high school team, which means play soccer during the school season only or play with his academy team year round. Not much of a choice if he hopes to get a scholarship.There's much more exposure on the non high school team, though the high school teams get the press. All those highly toutedhigh school players play on outside teams which is where they get their skills and better coaching. I know a local high school coach who took credit for his team finishing first in its conference without giving credit to the local soccer club who taught those kids how to play the game before he ever got them on his team.I guess my point is that these kids have developed skills and have learned how to play the game before they ever got to high school.

Is your nephew considering St. John's ???????

I doubt if SJU would consider him. Coach Mazur likes international players and tall keepers in the 6'2" or taller range. My nephew isn't that tall, but is being given consideration from several D1 programs. 

Being a HS coach and Athletic Director for many years I can say it is not just coach Masur that wants tall keepers. Every collegiate coach on the D1 level is looking for a tall keeper. I had a player a few years back who was All City Junior and Senior year and the starting keeper on his Academy team and could not get a D1 offer since he was 5'10" I actually had a few coaches tell me point blank that if he was over 6 feet it would be different.

As far as the academy rule goes I can not blame the kids for making the choice to play academy ball. College coaches are in season when HS season is in season and will not fly out to see one player for a day when they can go to a club tourney or showcase and see 40 players for 4 days so you can judge them on a larger sample. This is not to say I think it is fair and I think something could have been done to make it work for the players to do both as they are missing something from their high school experience by not playing school ball. They miss out on playing with classmates and friends and all that goes with that.

The shame of it is that when a high school coach tells his team that they cannot play travel soccer or play for an academy, redgional or national team they are putting the players in a no win situation. The non-school team/coach is not going to let a player stay on his or her team when that player can't play or practice with his/her team for three months or so during the fall high school season. so the player has a choice: not play with his friends at school or forego the exposure that he or she gets from playing outside school. That's a tough position to put a teenager thru. 

The shame of it is that when a high school coach tells his team that they cannot play travel soccer or play for an academy, redgional or national team they are putting the players in a no win situation. The non-school team/coach is not going to let a player stay on his or her team when that player can't play or practice with his/her team for three months or so during the fall high school season. so the player has a choice: not play with his friends at school or forego the exposure that he or she gets from playing outside school. That's a tough position to put a teenager thru. 
 You would think the coach sees the value in having the kids play on the travel and in some cases local Olympic development programs. I couldn't play another sport like football but no restriction on club play. That's crazy.

I doubt if SJU would consider him. Coach Mazur likes international players and tall keepers in the 6'2" or taller range. My nephew isn't that tall, but is being given consideration from several D1 programs. 
 BTW, assuming the roster is accurate, both SJU keepers are listed at exactly 6'0.

Back