Masur gets 3 studs

don't get me started... I was good enough for national tryouts but not good enough for SJU backline in the 90s, granted it was eventually a national champ team.. i just don't think i was given consideration because i was from lowly SI and not some European power.  

don't get me started... I was good enough for national tryouts but not good enough for SJU backline in the 90s, granted it was eventually a national champ team.. i just don't think i was given consideration because i was from lowly SI and not some European power.  

That was a heck of a team, Ben Hickey, Ricardo Joseph.
Did you dress?

Good memory TIS. I had full schollies to go to Iona/Fordham/St Peters or the chance to walk on @ either SJU/Rutgers. I decided to go with SJU as I thought I would be given a fair shot with a talented team. I had some history with the players so it made me very comfortable. Long story but I just decided to focus on school when I wasn't given a fair shot. Who would have thought soccer would be paying millions now? My parents certainly didn't think so. Oh well, c'est la vie.

sounds a little absurd. The team your talking about (National Champs) might be in the top 5 teams of all time. So, you probably weren't good enough.

sounds a little absurd. The team your talking about (National Champs) might be in the top 5 teams of all time. So, you probably weren't good enough.
 Maybe, but was good enough for us national team final consideration had I left high school midway through my senior year. Either way, thanks for the reminder. Hope you never had regrets in life.

No disrespect, but nobody other than maybe John Wolenyeic (mispelled) from SI would have ever gotten a national team try out in 1996. My brother was offered in 2009 and wasnt even on the ENY state team. I ended up playing D 3 but greww entrenched in soccer on SI. 

No disrespect, but nobody other than maybe John Wolenyeic (mispelled) from SI would have ever gotten a national team try out in 1996. My brother was offered in 2009 and wasnt even on the ENY state team. I ended up playing D 3 but greww entrenched in soccer on SI. 
  I captained John on both our HS at Farrell and Silver Lake team. Johns career took off at Fordham, not while still in hs. my invitation came in hs senior in 92.

Soccer's not like other sports. It's 4 or 5 key studs and the rest are essentially the same, based on position. And their is a lot of bias by state or or region. Look at the NJ players who are playing major college soccer. Maybe they're playing against better competition somehow. I still believe their is a lot of bias around soccer.

Maryland got 6. Wow, they will be loaded again. 

Donovan Fraser's dad ran track at St. John's. His kid is one great player. 

Interesting to see how some of the traditional powers from the east coast (Maryland, Indiana, North Carolina, St Johns) seem to have really reloaded in this class. College soccer recruiting is totally hit or miss much moreso than basketball. So much is dependent on the team you play on not just for being seen by scouts but having teammates who are capable or exceptional at putting you in the right place to succeed. Masur has always been good at finding the diamond in the rough as SJU typically doesn't have one of the top recruiting claases but it's nice to finally see that changing.

I've been around youth soccer for many years, having had two sons play the game, and been a travel coach for many years. It seems to me that its not about which school you went to but what travel program you were part of and what regional or national team you were on. High school soccer is only a few months out of the school year, but your travel team, regional or national team is year round, and while a college coach won't be able to see you play because your seasons run concurrently they will be able to see the non school teams at other parts of the year. My nephew is a highly thought of junior who plays on a powerhouse high school team and an academy team. He was told to choose between his academy team and his high school team, which means play soccer during the school season only or play with his academy team year round. Not much of a choice if he hopes to get a scholarship.There's much more exposure on the non high school team, though the high school teams get the press. All those highly toutedhigh school players play on outside teams which is where they get their skills and better coaching. I know a local high school coach who took credit for his team finishing first in its conference without giving credit to the local soccer club who taught those kids how to play the game before he ever got them on his team.I guess my point is that these kids have developed skills and have learned how to play the game before they ever got to high school.

Back