Mariano

mjmaherjr

2023 $upporter 2022 $upporter
Maybe the most touching things in sports I have ever seen. I was freaking choked up a little. Real CLASSY thing they just did to close his career.

He was simply the best ( also because of those 4 outs he finishes lowest era ever in mlb history with at least 1200 innings pitched )

I cried...clear and honest lol...A) because it makes me feel old B ) because he is the classiest guy ever C) because he is the greatest closer ever

I'm a Mets fan but I could never root against Mo if I tried.

I cried...clear and honest lol...A) because it makes me feel old B ) because he is the classiest guy ever C) because he is the greatest closer ever

Same here. Met fan and while I like tweaking yankee fans I actually dont hate the yankees and used to be a yankee fan when I was young in the 70's. Always liked Mariano

The more I think about it and think about how good he has been for so long the more I start to think that Mariano is the best baseball player I have ever seen in my lifetime

Same here. Met fan and while I like tweaking yankee fans I actually dont hate the yankees and used to be a yankee fan when I was young in the 70's. Always liked Mariano

The more I think about it and think about how good he has been for so long the more I start to think that Mariano is the best baseball player I have ever seen in my lifetime

He's the guy who me and my friends would pretend to be on the little league fields or playing wiffle ball in the backyard. Not a blemish on his record and always money in crunch time. He is a breath of fresh air in a corrupt time in baseball. You picture the best possible closer you can be both on and off the field and it's him exactly. If I was Mo running out there I would have absolutely lost it. New York baseball just will never be the same. The Yankees are not the Yankees I grew up with anymore i.e. the dynasty era. All that's left is Jeter. Really, really sad. I did crack a laugh though when Jeter came out to get him and said "Time to go!" with a big smirk on his face. When Jeter retires, I think it will really hit Yankee fans that they are not special anymore and need to build a new team.

He's the guy who me and my friends would pretend to be on the little league fields or playing wiffle ball in the backyard. Not a blemish on his record and always money in crunch time. He is a breath of fresh air in a corrupt time in baseball. You picture the best possible closer you can be both on and off the field and it's him exactly. If I was Mo running out there I would have absolutely lost it. New York baseball just will never be the same. The Yankees are not the Yankees I grew up with anymore i.e. the dynasty era. All that's left is Jeter. Really, really sad. I did crack a laugh though when Jeter came out to get him and said "Time to go!" with a big smirk on his face. When Jeter retires, I think it will really hit Yankee fans that they are not special anymore and need to build a new team.

Yankee fans don't need Jeter to retire to know that. We know that is the case now.

One of the classiest and most highly respected(by fans and other players) ballplayers of all time. He carried himself with grace, dignity and a genuine humbleness rarely seen in professional sports anymore.

And when was the last time someone was older like him with that longevity and still basically retired on top of his game.

Usually when people retire they are a fraction of what they were and here is Mo who easily could be pitching longer and is still great this year

Also a Met fan. Rivera was simply, far and away the best closer in MLB history. Not a single bad season, and even at 43 years old, 44 saves (tied for his fourth best season). If there is anything better than Mariano Rivera the Yankee, it's Mariano Rivera the man. He is a strong Christian who let his actions do his talking.

He is a certain first ballot HOFer, who may just challenge Tom Seaver for the highest % of votes on a ballot. With a history of a large number of the best players that have ever played the game, I don't think he compares with Ruth, Gehrig, or DiMaggio, but that's not a knock on him. It will be hard to imagine another closer approaching the excellence of Rivera over an entire career.

Michael Kay didn't help making it sound more like a funeral last night lol

As impossible as it seems, Mariano Rivera the pitcher doesn't come close in excellence to Mariano Rivera the person. Guided by a strong faith that he doesn't wear on his sleeve, he has been extremely generous with his time and his assets. For New York's sake, let's hope he has an enduring presence with the Yankees after retirement.

The more I think about it and think about how good he has been for so long the more I start to think that Mariano is the best baseball player I have ever seen in my lifetime[/quote]

What? He was the best closer of all time. Agreed. But this is getting ridiculus. He was a great closer for a long time but I'd take a good #2 starter over any closer, even the great Mariano.

Also a Met fan. Rivera was simply, far and away the best closer in MLB history. Not a single bad season, and even at 43 years old, 44 saves (tied for his fourth best season). If there is anything better than Mariano Rivera the Yankee, it's Mariano Rivera the man. He is a strong Christian who let his actions do his talking.

He is a certain first ballot HOFer, who may just challenge Tom Seaver for the highest % of votes on a ballot. With a history of a large number of the best players that have ever played the game, I don't think he compares with Ruth, Gehrig, or DiMaggio, but that's not a knock on him. It will be hard to imagine another closer approaching the excellence of Rivera over an entire career.
Agree he is a no brainer first ballot HOFer but don't think he will surpass Seaver in % of vote because there are some that don't place same value of a closer compared to everyday player or a starting pitcher, not that those that may not vote for him the first time think he is not worthy but just not to be all time leading vote getter. Just my opinion.

Agree he is a no brainer first ballot HOFer but don't think he will surpass Seaver in % of vote because there are some that don't place same value of a closer compared to everyday player or a starting pitcher, not that those that may not vote for him the first time think he is not worthy but just not to be all time leading vote getter. Just my opinion.

That is a good point. There are those that would do exactly that - not vote for him in order to keep his % down. There is no question however that every voter should have him on their ballot, but I agree that some guys have there own agenda.

What? He was the best closer of all time. Agreed. But this is getting ridiculus. He was a great closer for a long time but I'd take a good #2 starter over any closer, even the great Mariano.[/quote]

Difference of opinion because for me personally I'd take the best closer of all time over any #2 starter and I'd take him over a lot of number 1 starters because I think a relief pitcher and coming into the pressure situations is harder mentally than being a starter

What? He was the best closer of all time. Agreed. But this is getting ridiculus. He was a great closer for a long time but I'd take a good #2 starter over any closer, even the great Mariano.

Difference of opinion because for me personally I'd take the best closer of all time over any #2 starter and I'd take him over a lot of number 1 starters because I think a relief pitcher and coming into the pressure situations is harder mentally than being a starter[/quote]

Agreed. I heard Michael Kay saying on the radio "He is the greatest baseball player ever...period, and he is the sole reason the Yanks did what they did for the past 17 years". Uhh, sorry Michael, but false. He is the greatest to ever play his position no doubt, but the best starter ever would be much more important. A horse that goes 7 innings strong and keeps his team in the game for the majority of the game while keeping his cool...that's more impressive and important. Getting 3 outs at the end of a game cannot compare. Also position players like Jeter who have been hit machines and gold glovers for 9+ innings every game, getting those clutch hits, stealing those bases, making great defensive stops, etc. Those are full time players. Closers are not full time.

Don't get me wrong, Mo was clearly the best closer ever, but let's not let his recent retirement get out of control and try to say a closer has more influence than a HOF position player or starting pitcher. Jeter means more to this team than Mo IMO. Mo will be sorely missed and once Jeter leaves Yankees fans will go numb.

Difference of opinion because for me personally I'd take the best closer of all time over any #2 starter and I'd take him over a lot of number 1 starters because I think a relief pitcher and coming into the pressure situations is harder mentally than being a starter

One factor left out of this discussion was that in Mariano Rivera's time, closers have been "bred" as a position, instead of converting failed starters. So at the present some really great arms came out of college as closers, went through the minor as closers, etc. So the overall talent level to start out is a bit higher.

However, could anyone ever imagine a Felix Hernandez or Strasburg or Harvey being made into a closer at this stage of their careers? A reliever has a big advantage in that he doesn't even have to go through a lineup once. A starter must make adjustments the second, third, and sometimes 4th time he sees a better, or good hitters will figure him out.

It hardly matters as part of this discussion. Rivera is simply the best - almost everyone agrees with this - over his career. However, I think if I needed one out, I might take Gossage in his prime.

One factor left out of this discussion was that in Mariano Rivera's time, closers have been "bred" as a position, instead of converting failed starters. So at the present some really great arms came out of college as closers, went through the minor as closers, etc. So the overall talent level to start out is a bit higher.

However, could anyone ever imagine a Felix Hernandez or Strasburg or Harvey being made into a closer at this stage of their careers? A reliever has a big advantage in that he doesn't even have to go through a lineup once. A starter must make adjustments the second, third, and sometimes 4th time he sees a better, or good hitters will figure him out.

It hardly matters as part of this discussion. Rivera is simply the best - almost everyone agrees with this - over his career. However, I think if I needed one out, I might take Gossage in his prime.

Yankee fan here and no argument from me on importance of a closer vs. everyday player or #1 starter. The closer is important, but not as much as those other roles. As for Goose and the one out, c'mon...let's be real. We're talking about Mo. He gets the ball from me every time in a big spot.

Difference of opinion because for me personally I'd take the best closer of all time over any #2 starter and I'd take him over a lot of number 1 starters because I think a relief pitcher and coming into the pressure situations is harder mentally than being a starter[/quote]

My original disagreement was with your statement that Mo is the best baseball player you have seen in your lifetime. I can think of dozens of baseball players in the past 20 years that I'd rather have than Mo. He is the greatest closer of all time. No doubt. But baseball is a 9 inning game. I admit I'm a Met fan but I would take Jeter ahead of Rivera in a heartbeat.

Back