Latest from Zach B. / N.Y. Post

Don’t totally disagree. I do think our quality depth this year is based an awful lot on what we hope we have. Not necessarily what we know we have.

Taylor was coming off a sophomore year where he averaged double digits in the pac12. Nahiem was 6th/7th man on a national champion with double digit scoring years at va tech prior.
I'm certainly a lifelong member of the over-optimistic-on-paper club, but it's truly a different transfer crew coming in, not Ivy League standouts + a very good 2nd team off the bench player from the national champion. We have proven high level players, along with size options we didn't have last year, as well as the benefit of a Sophomore class that stuck together.

Good afternoon everybody. A few thoughts on today's workout:

-- Size and athleticism is vastly different from a year ago. Two 7-footers, in Khaman Maker and Vince Iwuchukwu, good size on the wing. St. John's really got up and down. quick.

-- Best players I saw today: Simeon Wilcher and Zuby Ejiofor. Both were very good. Wilcher just looks so confident. Zuby was all over the floor.

-- Daniss Jenkins, Chris Ledlum and Sean Conway were there and practiced with the team.

-- Rick Pitino said the Kansas State game is tentatively scheduled for Carnesecca Arena, but could get moved to MSG.

-- Saw some flashes from Kadary Richmond and Deivon Smith. They're obviously getting used to one another. Smith had one possession he got the rebound and was gone, finishing a layup off in transition. He's lightning-quick. Pitino raved about Richmond's rebounding for a guard.

-- Ruben Prey expected here in a few weeks. Still working on Visa. Jaiden Glover and RJ Luis are doing non-contact work. Will be cleared by September.

-- Brady Dunlap's jumper was on target. Made several 3's.
Hope Kansas State game is moved to MSG. Saturday at the Garden should draw at least 14k (possibly more). Rangers are not playing that day so maybe they are waiting for the Knicks schedule to be announced? Two pre-season (New Mexico, K-State) and at least 8 Big East games would be a nice 10 game total at MSG.

I'm certainly a lifelong member of the over-optimistic-on-paper club, but it's truly a different transfer crew coming in, not Ivy League standouts + a very good 2nd team off the bench player from the national champion. We have proven high level players, along with size options we didn't have last year, as well as the benefit of a Sophomore class that stuck together.
What’s different is the known quantity in Kadary and Smith. That is big and the main reason why thinking top 25 and tourney is realistic. Still that’s two pieces (admittedly great and at most important spot) but they are also, A: playing at a different school, B: with different players, C: for a different coach, and D: in different roles. The bench is a lot of unproven, talented guys, who at this moment we are all looking at each of them as their best case scenario. IE Dunlap/Zuby/wilcher take a leap, Prey is ready to play from the start, Vince is a +backup BE center and the other 3 freshmen are ready to fill in the holes. We know that the best case is not how it usually goes. All these guys everyone is super high on right now. come next year, a few of them will be forgotten about. It’s the fan cycle 😂

Last edited:
Agreed. The whole team, starters, bench, everything, is potential, as it is for most teams in the brave new world. I get the discussions, not much else to talk or write about but I seem to remember similar high player praise from Pitino and declarations of a national presence from fans last year; just coach speak and bar talk until…………..
While still just potential the are still arguable truths. the 2 7 footers give us 10 fouls as back ups. they should get 2 - 3 rebounds each just having the ball fall into their hands.

While still just potential the are still arguable truths. the 2 7 footers give us 10 fouls as back ups. they should get 2 - 3 rebounds each just having the ball fall into their hands.
Arguable truths? Very few teams have been successful based on balls falling into players hands.

What’s different is the known quantity in Kadary and Smith. That is big and the main reason why thinking top 25 and tourney is realistic. Still that’s two pieces (admittedly great and at most important spot) but they are also, A: playing at a different school, B: with different players, C: for a different coach, and D: in different roles. The bench is a lot of unproven, talented guys, who at this moment we are all looking at each of them as their best case scenario. IE Dunlap/Zuby/wilcher take a leap, Prey is ready to play from the start, Vince is a +backup BE center and the other 3 freshmen are ready to fill in the holes. We know that the best case is not how it usually goes. All these guys everyone is super high on right now. come next year, a few of them will be forgotten about. It’s the fan cycle 😂
Mostly agree but would add Luis and Scott to that list of guys I’m sure will be very good Big East players and feel very confident about Zuby and Wilcher. Agree that after that it’s a bit of optimism and hope!with Brady on the borderline. Still that’s a pretty good first 7.

i think another key thing, that we've frankly have never had, are practices that are competitive. i honestly think we've always been at a disadvantage at not having practices that pushed our guys. we may not yet be like the elite teams who have a bench that could start, but for us, having rotation guys that can push the starters will help in the long run.

Mostly agree but would add Luis and Scott to that list of guys I’m sure will be very good Big East players and feel very confident about Zuby and Wilcher. Agree that after that it’s a bit of optimism and hope!with Brady on the borderline. Still that’s a pretty good first 7.
Nature of the beast for even elite programs (e.g. Marquette) is that you only have a few sure-fire players and the rest are hoping for leaps from returning players. I really like where we are.

Hope Kansas State game is moved to MSG. Saturday at the Garden should draw at least 14k (possibly more). Rangers are not playing that day so maybe they are waiting for the Knicks schedule to be announced? Two pre-season (New Mexico, K-State) and at least 8 Big East games would be a nice 10 game total at MSG.
Speaking of which, has anyone received any information on when the MSG ticket-only package comes out? I did that last year for the first time in a while, and it was awesome. I plan to not only re-up this year but to expand the number of tickets I purchase.

Extremely high on Wilcher's shooting potential. Always watched him in warmups
and he nailed almost everything. It will translate to games as it started to in a small sample at the end of the season.
He certainly has a great stroke and as you said showed it in flashes last year. I have big hopes for him this year. He will be a key piece along with Brady and a couple others to spread the floor.

Extremely high on Wilcher's shooting potential. Always watched him in warmups
and he nailed almost everything. It will translate to games as it started to in a small sample at the end of the season.

I’ll hope but hold off my enthusiasm until I see him make those shots in a game. We have often heard before of players who were killing it in practice but couldn’t get it done under the bright lights.

He certainly has a great stroke and as you said showed it in flashes last year. I have big hopes for him this year. He will be a key piece along with Brady and a couple others to spread the floor.
Key piece? Totally. Brady? Don't see it with the additions and a healthy Luis.

Back