Keeping Up With Old Friends Thread

Front row L-R: Billy Goodwin, Bobby Kelly, Larry Washington, Coach Carnesecca, George Garrison, Kevin Williams, Mark Calzonetti.
Back Row L-R: Coach Mahoney, Coach Rutledge, Mike Feigenbaum, Dave Russell, Trevor Jackson, Jeff Allen, Bill Wennington, Ron Stewart, Ray James, Chris Mullin, Coach Al LoBalbo, Ron Linfonte, Irving Glick MD, Mike Padulski MGR.

Team was LOADED with transfers. Goodwin- San Jacinto JC, Bobby Kelly- Holy Cross, Larry Washington- Texas Tech, Mike Feigenbaum-Ohio Univ, Jeff Allen-Rutgers. Calzonetti transferred out to Fairfield after the season.

Interesting that the team only had one manager. The other scholarship mgr never worked the season as he had an internship with MLB.

Team lost in First Round of NCAA’s to very good Alabama team at Nassau Coliseum.

Impressive.
Most impressive.

1982-83 SJU Redmen
Front Row L-R Mrg Alan Friedman, Billy Goodwin, Kevin Williams, Bobby Kelly, Coach Carnesecca, George Garrison, Rob James, Chris Mullin, MGR Alan Ray.
Back Row L-R: Irving Glick MD, Coach Ron Rutledge, David Russell, Ron Stewart, Bill Wennington, Jeff Allen, Trevor Jackson, Coach Brian Mahoney and Ron Linfonte AT.

Team is all in Nikes except Wennington as he had a Converse agreement coming out of LuHi.

Team was ranked all year, ending up at #1 seed in the East Region. Lost to another SEC team Georgia in the Carrier Dome.
View attachment 811

Arguably the second best SJU team of Lou's era.

Correct, we beat Penn first then lost to a very good Alabama Team, our last second shot did not go in. One of the best games I ever attended.
If I recall correctly Kevin Williams missed an open point blank 2 foot bank shot just before the buzzer. Heartbreaking loss for sure.

I was crying too 😢the NCAA handed us a gift to be able to play in the sweet sixteen in giving us 2 possibly winnable games in our own background.
That Alabama team had two NBA players on it. They beat Georgia, then #15 Tennessee then Kentucky at Rupp to win SEC tournament title. We played them tough at Nassau.

May of 1983 Ward Melville HS had open gym on Saturday nights. Was in a pick-up game with David Russell, threw him an alley oop that was a little too high, but was cool nonetheless.
Hey Georgia Red - did you play for Ward Melville? I played for Northport, graduated in 85. We played you guys a bunch.

Hey Georgia Red - did you play for Ward Melville? I played for Northport, graduated in 85. We played you guys a bunch.
Played a couple of years at St. Anthony's. Graduated in 83. Stopped basketball to concentrate on baseball. But played against Billy D and Jim Christian and Dennis Ahern.

That Alabama team had two NBA players on it. They beat Georgia, then #15 Tennessee then Kentucky at Rupp to win SEC tournament title. We played them tough at Nassau.
We had 4 guys who were drafted and 3 who played and 2 who played very long.
En is Whately and Bobby Lee Hurt both had but a cup of tea in the NBA. Wimp Sanderson their coach was very interesting.

Back