Is there a law we don't know about?

However, SJU has never gone in that direction. In one form or another, from Louie to Mahoney to Jarvis to Norm to Lavin, the primary focus of our offenses has always been to get the ball to the rim either in a half-court environment or in transition. As a result SJU has never had more than one long-range threat, and it always seems to be a lower priority than finding a point guard, a small forward, or a big. That's why Bootsy is the only consistent deep shooter we've had since, well, Mullin, who didn't have a 3-point line to shoot from..

I don't think this is true. We haven't had many consistent 3 point shooter since Bootsy (actually Hardy) because the ones we recruited didn't pan put (Patterson, Wright, Torres). It wasn't for lack of trying. And now that we have a shooter - I'll be surprised if Harrison doesn't shoot around 40 percent next year - I expect to see it a bigger part of the offense moving forward.

Agree, Harrison will be that go-to 3 point shooter and the staff will be looking to recruit more of them.

However, SJU has never gone in that direction. In one form or another, from Louie to Mahoney to Jarvis to Norm to Lavin, the primary focus of our offenses has always been to get the ball to the rim either in a half-court environment or in transition. As a result SJU has never had more than one long-range threat, and it always seems to be a lower priority than finding a point guard, a small forward, or a big. That's why Bootsy is the only consistent deep shooter we've had since, well, Mullin, who didn't have a 3-point line to shoot from..

I don't think this is true. We haven't had many consistent 3 point shooter since Bootsy (actually Hardy) because the ones we recruited didn't pan put (Patterson, Wright, Torres). It wasn't for lack of trying. And now that we have a shooter - I'll be surprised if Harrison doesn't shoot around 40 percent next year - I expect to see it a bigger part of the offense moving forward.

I am intrigued by Lawmanfan's theory, as there has to be a reason that SJU has managed, over the last 26 years, to avoid recruiting a single serious deep threat out of the high school ranks. It seems you would have to almost go out of your way to have that kind of feeble track record. My theory, to add to LMF, is that SJU coaches always have focused recruiting the best available athletes, as the Big East was a physical conference. The athletes who were also gifted with an additional skill set, shooting the basketball, were highly coveted, and gobbled up by other schools. That left the good athletes with holes in their games in the skills department, which is why we have had a plethora of 6'5" wings over the years with quickness and hops but limited other skill sets. With the super athletes with shooting skills unavailable, the next option, if you want shooters, is to go for the less athletic types that could really shoot. We have seen plenty of those this year, especially in the early games. It seems we never went after that type of player. Even if we did, would a player who relied on the three really be interested in a school where the 3 was never a focus? Where would he fit in?

If Harrison does shoot 40% from three next season, as Fun hopes, that would make him the third SJU player in the past 15 years to accomplish that feat. The other 2? Guesses are welcome with no cheating please. If he improves to that level, (which he didn't get close to as a HS senior), he would not likely break into the top 150 in the country. 

Who were the best shooters from NY over the past 20 years to play at power conference programs?

Who were the best shooters from NY over the past 20 years to play at power conference programs?

I'm sure I am painting with a broad brush here. . .but it seems to me that most NYC BBallers don't shoot well. . .assuming its attributable to the emphasis on "driving" skills

The kid who played for Rutgers, Dooby- was a dead eyed shooter who very easily have been at st johns except that Jarvis didnt want him

Allan Ray was the best knock down shooter from NYC that comes to mind.

Ben Gordon if you count Mount Vernon. 

And as if your theory needed any confirming, we are, at this moment the second to worst 3 point shooting team in Division 1. 343 out of 344 according to ESPN.

Although Espn also claims we're 330 out of 338 in terms of 3pointers made per game. So clearly they need to figure out how many teams are in Division1. But regardless, the numbers suggest we are a flat out awful outside shooting team.

As this thread reates to the current team, let's not forget Lavin put together this recruiting class in a very small, in terms of time, and very restricted window, in terms of player availability, and I think did an incredible job in getting a competitive team that will serve as a foundation for the program's development. I can't help but think many here don't have the faintest idea of how hard it is to recruit in the first place and how much more difficult for Lavin to start based on his hiring timeframe. 

As this thread reates to the current team, let's not forget Lavin put together this recruiting class in a very small, in terms of time, and very restricted window, in terms of player availability, and I think did an incredible job in getting a competitive team that will serve as a foundation for the program's development. I can't help but think many here don't have the faintest idea of how hard it is to recruit in the first place and how much more difficult for Lavin to start based on his hiring timeframe. 

You are correct. He did a great job, and there is no doubt that if Pelle and Sampson were here, everyone would be getting better looks, especially Harrison. The full squad would press and trap, and play more of an open court game. That's what the full recruiting class was built to do. But that doesn't change history. SJU doesn't recruit shooters, and it didn't start this season. Our three best shooters in the past 30 years? Mullin, Ron Rowan, and Bootsy. A final four, two Big East championships, and a final eight with a bucket away from a final four. Of course those teams had a lot of overall talent. Point is, it really helps to have a few shooters around,

Our three best shooters in the past 30 years? Mullin, Ron Rowan, and Bootsy. A final four, two Big East championships, and a final eight with a bucket away from a final four. ,

Ron Rowan? Really? A better shooter than the best shooter TGAPL ever saw, Dwight Hardy? Better than Mark Jackson, who shot 40 percent from three for a season? Better than Boo Harvey? I don't think so.

Last year's combo of Hardy, Horne and DJ was good from three and they could all take it to the hole. We're getting lit up by some guys who don't even drive all that well. Our position at the bottom of the entire NCAA really says it all. There's a reason why they created the three pt arc and we're consistently ignoring it. After decades of this stuff and seeing where we stand nationally I'm just getting a touch frustrated. Sorry to be a grouch but I really thought we were headed in the right direction after last year. Having a bench full of non-functional walkons when we could have a couple of zone breakers is a shame. I know they were out there because I see them canning corner threes against us practically every game.

I think the 3 point line began while Mullin was in college - I used to think he never had that advantage. So he benefitted some.

We all get frustrated but we have to stay realistic - what could we have expected with Roberts leaving Lavin with an impossible chore of recruiting an entire team? Patience. Let's enjoy these talented young kids. Whatever.

all the best.

Last year's combo of Hardy, Horne and DJ was good from three and they could all take it to the hole. We're getting lit up by some guys who don't even drive all that well. Our position at the bottom of the entire NCAA really says it all. There's a reason why they created the three pt arc and we're consistently ignoring it. After decades of this stuff and seeing where we stand nationally I'm just getting a touch frustrated. Sorry to be a grouch but I really thought we were headed in the right direction after last year. Having a bench full of non-functional walkons when we could have a couple of zone breakers is a shame. I know they were out there because I see them canning corner threes against us practically every game.

+1 Good post.

It would make a huge difference if we could replace one or two of the walkons with a low D1 prospect who can at least shoot. Break the zone, provide Greene and D'angelo with a few minutes rest here and there. Wouldn't make or break the team... but you need those kind've players to complete a well rounded lineup.

We've seen them all year, you can't tell me guys who are only being recruited by St Francis, Texas Pan Am, or Northeastern wouldn't want a chance to play in the Big East.

Hopefully that's what happens in the this upcoming class.

Mullin graduated in 1985. The 3-pt line was adopted in 1986. UNLV was the first team that I recall really using it to their advantage. Soon after, many teams began to realize how valuable a weapon it is.

+1 Good post.

It would make a huge difference if we could replace one or two of the walkons with a low D1 prospect who can at least shoot. Break the zone, provide Greene and D'angelo with a few minutes rest here and there. Wouldn't make or break the team... but you need those kind've players to complete a well rounded lineup.

We've seen them all year, you can't tell me guys who are only being recruited by St Francis, Texas Pan Am, or Northeastern wouldn't want a chance to play in the Big East.

Yeah I'm sure they would just be salivating for the chance to be recruited over; it takes time for a coach to build a program completely from the bottoms up even though I do acknowledge you guys could do it in say, oh, an hour or so. Just recognize the fact that Lavin's skills as a coach pale in comparison to yours and learn to deal with his ineptitude, you'll sleep much better.

The kid who played for Rutgers, Dooby- was a dead eyed shooter who very easily have been at st johns except that Jarvis didnt want him

I believe Jarvis did want Douby, but blew it. I can't really remember the story, but I knew Jarvis mucked it up.

+1 Good post.

Yeah I'm sure they would just be salivating for the chance to be recruited over; it takes time for a coach to build a program completely from the bottoms up even though I do acknowledge you guys could do it in say, oh, an hour or so. Just recognize the fact that Lavin's skills as a coach pale in comparison to yours and learn to deal with his ineptitude, you'll sleep much better.

Did I question Lavin's coaching skills? Nope. Did I say I was a recruiting expert? Nope.

All I inferred was that there are players who would jump at the opportunity to play for a major program versus a low major. And perhaps.. PERHAPS, we should adjust our recruiting strategy to include one or two shooters who might not be well rounded players and therefore aren't being heavily recruited. Preposterous, I know!

Some guys would rather go where the playing time is, but there are plenty who will take the highest offer they get and compete for time once they get on campus. It's the same reason kids choose to ride the pine and be recruited over at Duke versus start for us from day 1.

Not every comment or suggestion that the staff do something slightly differently is an indictment of their abilities or ignorance of their successes.

Our three best shooters in the past 30 years? Mullin, Ron Rowan, and Bootsy. A final four, two Big East championships, and a final eight with a bucket away from a final four. ,

Ron Rowan? Really? A better shooter than the best shooter TGAPL ever saw, Dwight Hardy? Better than Mark Jackson, who shot 40 percent from three for a season? Better than Boo Harvey? I don't think so.

Ron Rowan shot 46.3% as a junior and then a stellar 52% from the field as a senior, and 87% from the line. He never shot less than 45% in his career. I don't have that nice graphic they use in the NBA games showing the distribution of where on the court the shots were made, but he wasn't known for his layups. He made the NBA for a few weeks, and I assume he wasn't given the shot cause of that cool hairstyle, but you never know.

Ron Rowan shot 46.3% as a junior and then a stellar 52% from the field as a senior, and 87% from the line. He never shot less than 45% in his career. I don't have that nice graphic they use in the NBA games showing the distribution of where on the court the shots were made, but he wasn't known for his layups. He made the NBA for a few weeks, and I assume he wasn't given the shot cause of that cool hairstyle, but you never know.

Ron Rowan was a great shooter...Made a big shot vs. Syracuse

+1 Good post.

Did I question Lavin's coaching skills? Nope. Did I say I was a recruiting expert? Nope.

All I inferred was that there are players who would jump at the opportunity to play for a major program versus a low major. And perhaps.. PERHAPS, we should adjust our recruiting strategy to include one or two shooters who might not be well rounded players and therefore aren't being heavily recruited. Preposterous, I know!

Some guys would rather go where the playing time is, but there are plenty who will take the highest offer they get and compete for time once they get on campus. It's the same reason kids choose to ride the pine and be recruited over at Duke versus start for us from day 1.

Not every comment or suggestion that the staff do something slightly differently is an indictment of their abilities or ignorance of their successes.

My point is that to analyze Lavin's recruitment "strategy" off of one year when he basically had to go after "what was left" seems incredibly premature and unfair.

Back