Harrison and Redick

D'angelo goes to the hole better and can shoot off the dribble.
I'm telling you, this kid has a chance to be the best to ever play here.

He is a good Freshmen but along long way from being the best to play at SJU 1st let him be in the top 5 Freshmen in the country .

. .Would you say he's the best freshman to play at STJ?
I would.
No but can not make comparisons to. soon yrs ago Freshmen could not play varsity

And Erick Barkley? 

Was a 20 year old freshman on a team with some excellent talent.
Both Dlo and Mo are only 18 and have had to be the focus of the offense from day 1.
There is just no comparison IMHO.

He is a good Freshmen but along long way from being the best to play at SJU 1st let him be in the top 5 Freshmen in the country .

Would you say he's the best freshman to play at STJ?
I would.

Certainly the best since 1981 the year I started following the team and that year that had a pretty good freshman named Mullin. He is certainly better than David Russell was in 1979 and Wayne Mckoy in 1977 both of whom were MCAA and were surrounded by talent. .

How can you be so sure he is better then Russell and Mckoy as freshman if you only started following the team in 1981? While Harrison statistically will be better the other 2 players were very important parts of theie teams. Don't think ypu should compare players you didn't see.

Fair enough and I never said Russell or Mckoy were not important parts of their teams, just comparing star freshman with other great players over the last 35 years.
Going by your logic few historians could ever comment as they would not have lived through the time they were comparing history. In any event since I never saw Russell play as a freshman or Mckoy period all I can compare is stats and what I have read and heard from others whom I know and whose opinion I value and will stick by my opinion that Harrison is the best freshman we have had since 1977.

Harrison is a nice player. Putting him in the pantheon of SJU players is like saying Jeremy Lin is in the category of Walt Clyde Frazier. Hold the presses, let's see what develops. 

I could not disagree more. This kid is about to rewrite the STJ record books. He will own the all-time single season three-point record as a freshman! He will be our all-time points leader for freshmen. His FT % hhas to put him in the top 5 freshmen all-time...also minutes played, made ft's, made fg's, scoring average, etc.

This kid is amazing. He is already my favorite Johnny of all-time. He will. E the best college player to ever wear a St. John's uniform. He's already hands down the best freshman in my lifetime.

What's great about this, as we know, is that Moe is just as talented and has the size advantage that D doesn't have. Moe just needs some weight and he needs a little more intensity to be as effective as D. I would argue that Moe is also the best freshman we've had since Sealy, and certainly the best NYC freshman since then. This is a nice problem for us to have arguing over which is a better player and knowing we have to go way back to find anyone who's been close. We are St John's !!!

I love Moe as well. The differences I see are that Moe primarily does what his body allows him to do at 6'8 1/2 and with absurd length. He rarely even has to jump for boards...just tips them to himself. He gets so many boards and put backs because of it. 3'Angelo has to create his stuff and he does it without space, without a true point guard, and without another player that is consistently capable of shooting or producing their own points. 3'Lo is the clear focus of every single opposing defense.

When he leaves the lineup for even a play, STJ is simply incapable of creating any offense. The kid is the most valuable player to a team I've ever witnessed. As great as Kemba was, Uconn could function without him. STJ cannot function without Harrison and wouldn't score 50 points if Harrison didn't play.

Agree totally Marillac. It has been said before, but his will to win and savy play are reminiscent of Nova's Scotty Reynolds. So lucky to have him!!

Redick led a charmed life at Duke and made a living on touch fouls. D Lo is five times as tough and hard nosed. Much closer to Hardy but stronger IMO. He has ultimate game and no weak spots. I love watching him compete. It'll be his show next year if Moe goes and that's fine with me. It's up to Lavin to give him the support he deserves. No more BS Steve. Fill the roster and coach em up.

Would you say he's the best freshman to play at STJ?
I would.

I wouldn't even say he's definitively the best freshman to play for us THIS YEAR. Harkless has been up and down, but the best of Harkless is far better than the best of Harrison.

The thing I love about Harrison is that as a frosh, he is fearless.

You might remember the THREE TIME Big Easy player or the year, Chris Mullin, who arrived here as a complete player, and Harrison is far from that. It's not a criticism of Harrison, who has benefitted greatly from Lindsay's departure, and is one the highest scoring freshmen in the nation.

I know I bow down at the Mullin altar, but for good reason - he's the best player who ever set foot on campus, and his 4 year resume was a masterpiece.

As to the question posed, Harrison is a better athlete than Redick, and Redick a more deadly knock-down shooter.

It's hard to assess Reddick without thinking about his full career at Duke. I'm not convinced that D can't continue to develop his shooting ability and be as good or better than Reddick as a deadly knockdown shooter.  This kid is a big time scorer now, and even the comparisons to Hardy are a huge complement since we only saw him for his junior and senior seasons.

Let's not get carried away here, D'Angelo Harrison is a fine player and fine freshman player, maybe one of the best.

BUT his name cannot be mentioned in the same breath with Chris Mullin, As a freshman, as a collegian BB player. Mullin is an all-time great, his play for St. John's ranks him as possibly one of the greatest college basketball players of all time.

Correct me if I am wrong but Mullin is in both the College BB Hall of Fame and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, MA.

Let's not jinx DH by putting him in the Mullin category, certainly not just yet.

Let's watch and enjoy his great play and savor every moment since there were so many lean years that we went through.

P.S. Imagine Mullin's records if there was a three point line when he played. THREE STRAIGHT Years as Big East Player of the year, no one has ever done that, not Ewing, not Mourning, not Derrick Coleman, not anyone; come-on, a little perspective.

I love the fact that is just a smart player. He has that mid range pullup jumper that others just don't do anymore

I love Harrison and what he does on the court but he does complain to the refs an awful lot and I wonder if the refs hold it against him sometimes

As I've said before Harrison reminds me a lot of Gerry McNamara.

He has McNamara's intensity, his will to win, his immense appreciation for the contributions of his teammates, and the rare ability to rattle off a succession of threes just when they're needed.

Many valid points. I've seen every player at SJU since 1961. Many couldn't play as freshman because the NCAA wouldn't allow it. The NCAA also had a rule against dunking the basketball so we missed many spectacular plays from many of our players. We also had a pretty good 4 year player in George Johnson who had a good NBA career. And we also had a pretty good player named Lloyd "Sonny" Dove. However, none of these players were expected to play close to 40 minutes a game, and didn't get the playing time that Mo and D are getting. They all played with upper classmen and weren't called upon to carry the team. If they were put on todays team their numbers would have jumped. So I think these comparisons are apples to oranges. But as far as D being compared to JJ, I'd take D. He's a better all around player and he's more advanced than JJ at this stage. 

I love Harrison and what he does on the court but he does complain to the refs an awful lot and I wonder if the refs hold it against him sometimes

He always complains, at least twice today the refs went to Dunlap first and then D'lo for warnings. The complaining can't help even if he is getting killed.

though not s old as some posters i can think of three freshman i would rank ahead of dh...mullin, artest and sealy. That being said dh is going to a special player and despite his dreams i cant see him going pro more than a year earlu...unless he leads us somewhere deep into the ncaas next year.

though not s old as some posters i can think of three freshman i would rank ahead of dh...mullin, artest and sealy. That being said dh is going to a special player and despite his dreams i cant see him going pro more than a year earlu...unless he leads us somewhere deep into the ncaas next year.

To my recollection, David Russell made the Lapchick tourney all tournamnet team as a freshman and had a fine frosh year. George Johnson had a great 4 year run at SJU also - I'd need help as to whether he was freshman eligible, since i started seiorusly following the team midway through his career.

To my recollection, David Russell made the Lapchick tourney all tournamnet team as a freshman and had a fine frosh year. George Johnson had a great 4 year run at SJU also - I'd need help as to whether he was freshman eligible, since i started seiorusly following the team midway through his career.

George played all four years...

Back