Harrison and Redick

JackofVirginia

Anyone feel the way I do about D'Angelo reminding me of Duke's outstanding shooter, Redick. They both can shoot the eyes out of the basket,not the quickest guards and are excellent foul shooters. What do you think?

D'angelo goes to the hole better and can shoot off the dribble.
I'm telling you, this kid has a chance to be the best to ever play here.

What's ironic is most shooters are better spot up and struggle off the dribble. Dee is the opposite. Man if he ever improves on the spot up side, its downright scary what he can do.

He is a good Freshmen but along long way from being the best to play at SJU 1st let him be in the top 5 Freshmen in the country .

What's ironic is most shooters are better spot up and struggle off the dribble. Dee is the opposite. Man if he ever improves on the spot up side, its downright scary what he can do.

Good points all around. However, I think D'Angelo is further along as a spot up shooter than Reddick was putting it on the deck at the same point in their careers. D'Angleo's timing was a little off earlier in the year (probably as he adjusted to the speed at which defenders close on this level; natural), but the last 5-10 games he's shot the ball spectacularly off the catch. Range is in the gym to boot.

Where D'Angelo really reminds me of Reddick is ability to square his body on the move with a lightning quick release. He hit a 3 in the first half against UCLA where he was running the baseline towards the corner with his back completely to the basket, turned, squared, and released in one fluid movement. Bottoms. Reddick was masterful at this and it's going to give us the ability to run him off screens all over the court non-stop when we aren't relying on him to have the ball in his hands so much with only he and Greene as guards because being able to do this is a true skill.

He also reminds me of Hardy in his ability use crafty shot fakes and a quick first step to get space as well as looking to create contact away from the basket. I'm wondering if this is something the coaching staff emphasizes, because Hardy last year and now D'Angelo this year have both been effective in taking their dribble to a defender's body 15-20+ feet from the basket and getting the whistle, because refs love to call that block. Easy way to rack up fouls and get extra trip to the FT line for good FT shooters.

He is a good Freshmen but along long way from being the best to play at SJU 1st let him be in the top 5 Freshmen in the country .

Would you say he's the best freshman to play at STJ?
I would.

Good points all around. However, I think D'Angelo is further along as a spot up shooter than Reddick was putting it on the deck at the same point in their careers. D'Angleo's timing was a little off earlier in the year (probably as he adjusted to the speed at which defenders close on this level; natural), but the last 5-10 games he's shot the ball spectacularly off the catch. Range is in the gym to boot.

Where D'Angelo really reminds me of Reddick is ability to square his body on the move with a lightning quick release. He hit a 3 in the first half against UCLA where he was running the baseline towards the corner with his back completely to the basket, turned, squared, and released in one fluid movement. Bottoms. Reddick was masterful at this and it's going to give us the ability to run him off screens all over the court non-stop when we aren't relying on him to have the ball in his hands so much with only he and Greene as guards because being able to do this is a true skill.

He also reminds me of Hardy in his ability use crafty shot fakes and a quick first step to get space as well as looking to create contact away from the basket. I'm wondering if this is something the coaching staff emphasizes, because Hardy last year and now D'Angelo this year have both been effective in taking their dribble to a defender's body 15-20+ feet from the basket and getting the whistle, because refs love to call that block. Easy way to rack up fouls and get extra trip to the FT line for good FT shooters.

As a follow up, Harrison is 36-76 (47%) from 3 in his last 10 games. 3.6 3's per game at that percentage against Big East/Duke/UCLA comp is ridiculous. He's showing himself to be the shooter he was advertised to be and then some.

I would.

Certainly the best since 1981 the year I started following the team and that year that had a pretty good freshman named Mullin. He is certainly better than David Russell was in 1979 and Wayne Mckoy in 1977 both of whom were MCAA and were surrounded by talent. .

I would.

Tom, he is certainly one of the top 5 ever IMO. He is the MVP for this team for sure. Moe has a great future but Harrison is the glue to this team.

I would.

Certainly the best since 1981 the year I started following the team and that year that had a pretty good freshman named Mullin. He is certainly better than David Russell was in 1979 and Wayne Mckoy in 1977 both of whom were MCAA and were surrounded by talent. .

How can you be so sure he is better then Russell and Mckoy as freshman if you only started following the team in 1981? While Harrison statistically will be better the other 2 players were very important parts of theie teams. Don't think ypu should compare players you didn't see.

I would.

How can you be so sure he is better then Russell and Mckoy as freshman if you only started following the team in 1981? While Harrison statistically will be better the other 2 players were very important parts of theie teams. Don't think ypu should compare players you didn't see.

I have been following since 1968 and I can tell you David Russell and especially Wayne McCoy were not the factor that Harrison is in the game as freshmen. Russell was still developing his game as a frosh with no outside shot and McKoy was a very slow and bulky big man (if 6'8 is big).

I would.

I have been following since 1968 and I can tell you David Russell and especially Wayne McCoy were not the factor that Harrison is in the game as freshmen. Russell was still developing his game as a frosh with no outside shot and McKoy was a very slow and bulky big man (if 6'8 is big).

I started in 75 and I agree but I just don't like comparing guys now to 30 years ago. The game has changed alot, more guard friendly game now IMHO. With that said I LOVE Harrison, didn't care for him early but has really grown on me. Hopefully with some more help next year his game wil elevate even further.

I would.

I started in 75 and I agree but I just don't like comparing guys now to 30 years ago. The game has changed alot, more guard friendly game now IMHO. With that said I LOVE Harrison, didn't care for him early but has really grown on me. Hopefully with some more help next year his game wil elevate even further.

The NBA is more "watered down" today so a player like David Russell who was a 4 year player who may have averaged 15 pts and 7 Rebs as a senior was drafted in the 2 nd round but today if you are an honorable mention all American with those numbers you would likely be a first round pick. Too bad he never developed an outside shot or he may have been more successful as a pro.
Wayne was a 3rd round pick but never made it in the pro game. He fell on some hard times recently and we should all keep him in our prayers.

Harrison is a nice player. Putting him in the pantheon of SJU players is like saying Jeremy Lin is in the category of Walt Clyde Frazier. Hold the presses, let's see what develops. 

Harrison is a nice player. Putting him in the pantheon of SJU players is like saying Jeremy Lin is in the category of Walt Clyde Frazier. Hold the presses, let's see what develops. 

Not true at all. Guys like Walter Berry made it into the pantheon as a 2-year JC player. Harrison has had a freshman season that is accolade-worthy. He could possibly set the SJU 3-pt shooting record tomorrow and might even set some more before the season is over. If you're going to hold the presses, it might not be for longer than tomorrow.

Agreed. D's played a full season and has been great. Since the 3 point line has been in use, he's the best freshman we've had, period. I went to school with Malik, who is the best freshman we've had in the last 25 years and who will forever be my favorite Redman, but D has been better. And his agressiveness and killer instinct as a freshman is unmatched. I can't remember the last freshman I've seen anywhere who was as intense a player as him.

I could not disagree more. This kid is about to rewrite the STJ record books. He will own the all-time single season three-point record as a freshman! He will be our all-time points leader for freshmen. His FT % hhas to put him in the top 5 freshmen all-time...also minutes played, made ft's, made fg's, scoring average, etc.

This kid is amazing. He is already my favorite Johnny of all-time. He will. E the best college player to ever wear a St. John's uniform. He's already hands down the best freshman in my lifetime.

Agreed. D's played a full season and has been great. Since the 3 point line has been in use, he's the best freshman we've had, period. I went to school with Malik, who is the best freshman we've had in the last 25 years and who will forever be my favorite Redman, but D has been better. And his agressiveness and killer instinct as a freshman is unmatched. I can't remember the last freshman I've seen anywhere who was as intense a player as him.

Wow. Well said my man!

I could not disagree more. This kid is about to rewrite the STJ record books. He will own the all-time single season three-point record as a freshman! He will be our all-time points leader for freshmen. His FT % hhas to put him in the top 5 freshmen all-time...also minutes played, made ft's, made fg's, scoring average, etc.

This kid is amazing. He is already my favorite Johnny of all-time. He will. E the best college player to ever wear a St. John's uniform. He's already hands down the best freshman in my lifetime.

What's great about this, as we know, is that Moe is just as talented and has the size advantage that D doesn't have. Moe just needs some weight and he needs a little more intensity to be as effective as D. I would argue that Moe is also the best freshman we've had since Sealy, and certainly the best NYC freshman since then. This is a nice problem for us to have arguing over which is a better player and knowing we have to go way back to find anyone who's been close. We are St John's !!!

Back